Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Quigleyfied

there's no shame in admitting that, richie!

i know you are the kind of guy who'd try hard to do everything right, and not just do some back yard thing.

you have the advantage of still being young (sheesh, i sound like i'm older than dirt, and i'm only 33 lol). look around at dog shows, decide on a breed (or at least group) that interests you, then try to find a mentor. get into junior handling. depending on your breed/group of choice, check out hunt tests, herding trials, earthdog trials, schutzhund/ring sport or whatever your breed excels in.

you have a number of years to work on this before you find your own place to live and make your own decisions in life. it's the best time!
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

I hope that you go into breeding with your eyes well open, and with a lot of research behind you, personally after having dogs for nearly all of my 48 years I never even thought "I want to be a breeder" as if it was a profession?, the only reason I ended up breeding was because of how my breed interacts with other dogs. I wanted more dogs, as my breed does not always get on great with a dog/bitch of the same sex, and as I already had a dog and a bitch my best option was to research for a sire(which took me a long time) mate my bitch and keep one of the bitches out of that litter, this way mother and daughter have better chance of getting on than me buying in another bitch, luckily my bitch was of good quality passed all the health test, otherwise I would not have bred. I have no objection if someone breeds and improves a breed, I do have a problem with someone that just wants to breed for the sake of breeding with no idea of what they are in fact breeding and what damage they can do to a breed. persaonlly I also think someone should be involved with a breed for a good few years before they embark on a breeding programme, get to know lines inside out, know the faults,try to eradicate any health problems etc, if they are not aiming to do this they should refrain from breeding. of course this is all my opinion, and I am sure others may differ

Mo
Old 08-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy
there's no shame in admitting that, richie!

i know you are the kind of guy who'd try hard to do everything right, and not just do some back yard thing.

you have the advantage of still being young (sheesh, i sound like i'm older than dirt, and i'm only 33 lol). look around at dog shows, decide on a breed (or at least group) that interests you, then try to find a mentor. get into junior handling. depending on your breed/group of choice, check out hunt tests, herding trials, earthdog trials, schutzhund/ring sport or whatever your breed excels in.

you have a number of years to work on this before you find your own place to live and make your own decisions in life. it's the best time!
I love the working breeds, I would love to improve on them. Maybe I'm wrong but haven't breeders worried more on looks than ability for working breeds?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe
I hope that you go into breeding with your eyes well open, and with a lot of research behind you, personally after having dogs for nearly all of my 48 years I never even thought "I want to be a breeder"
that's why I'm embarassed to admit it

Quote:
persaonlly I also think someone should be involved with a breed for a good few years
lol, ofcourse I'm gonna to do that!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie1234
Maybe I'm wrong but haven't breeders worried more on looks than ability for working breeds?
that really depends on the breeder and their breeding philosophy.

if you have a person who breeds [insert breed] and never does anything more than getting conformation championships on them, they don't care about the whole dog. yeah, correct conformation is important for a dog to do it's job, but if you look at the dogs in the conformation world, there are many who, for all their "good looks" wouldn't be able to work correctly anymore or just have a plain bad temperament (and temperament is very much hereditary). prime examples i can think of are your typical show line collie, lab or dachshund. in the conformation ring it's all about what look is "popular", and that can change quite a bit over the years - again i cite collies and the weird little "pig eyes" that are currently in favor. horrible.

in my opinion, a dog bred for the betterment of the breed has titles at both ends of its name (meaning conformation and performance) and is involved in all areas of the field the breed excels in. there is no reason why even dogs that are mostly just companion breeds can't prove their worthiness in venues like for example obedience, therapy work, or agility.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 08-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

Richie... keep in mind that there are some breeds that still exist today that don't really have an avenue or means to obtain a title in which they were originally bred. For example, the Bullmastiff or the Great Dane. Last time I checked there were no anti-poacher competitions for the bullmastiff or boar hunting competitions for danes in which they could obtain a title. So, although I do agree that the best scenario for breeding is taking into consideration the "whole dog" and obtaining titles that apply to your breeds purpose when possible, keep in mind that for some, it is not as easily available. It is a lot easier for hunting, herding, hound and terrier breeds to obtain titles whereas it's not as easy with some of the working breeds, non-sporting or toys.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Top Dog

i wanna be a breeder too, hopefully ill get enouh experience to be one.. either st bernard(i think im getting one in a yr or 2) ...so i guess ill be able to learn about them that way too, or i wanna breed poms?
Old 08-25-2005, 01:30 PM
yuckaduck

We were going to breed with Yukon, we were going to buy a female, assuming all health checks were good that is. Then we figured out he had a crappy temperment and a herina that required surgery, well that ended that dream for now. But we will look into purchasing acceptable breeding stock when the kids have growen up abit more because our time is limited and that would not be good for a litter of pups requiring proper care and socialization.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck
We were going to breed with Yukon, we were going to buy a female, assuming all health checks were good that is. Then we figured out he had a crappy temperment and a herina that required surgery, well that ended that dream for now. But we will look into purchasing acceptable breeding stock when the kids have growen up abit more because our time is limited and that would not be good for a litter of pups requiring proper care and socialization.
good luck
Old 08-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Top Dog

It doesn't matter anyways, I have lots of time to think about this