Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Vizsla mom

What is a bounce flash? Is it an actual accessory or do you just mean you learned to bounce the flash? I have seen it used a few times on this site& it confuses me.. there's lots of DIY ways to bounce your on-camera flash but your best bet is off-camera. There's just so many more options with a speedlite.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

I used an external flash or a light scoop if you want to go the cheaper way. Bounce flash is a technique, but I call my light scoop a bounce flash for some reason. I love it.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Vizsla mom

Lol. Yes, I know bouncing the flash is a technique. I've just never heard it called bounce flash. The lack of the word 'the' was throwing me off. I had heard good things about light scoop if you're looking for a cheaper way than that. But really, you can even make one. Or a diffuser makes a big difference with direct flash as well. You can put tissue in front of the flash.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
I'd love to help but I'm a Canon girl. Try AP mode or TV (shutter) mode. If you're shooting in low light, you're not going to get fabulous shots without an off-camera flash but you CAN crank up the ISO& open the shutter longer (no more than 1/focal length so if you're shooting at 200mm you can't go below 1/200th of a second. At 50mm, you could do 1/50th ..make sense?). Try to not underexpose because upping the exposure in photoshop will KILL you with noise.
Canon girl here as well, so it'd be hard for me to help much.

But, I will say that you can get nice shots without the use of a flash indoors. You just have to have the right lens (and steady hands!) for it. Examples (these were all taken indoors, without a flash, at around 4:30pm so it was starting to get dark):

Fill flash may have helped a bit, but I like how they turned out. Those were shot with an 85mm at either f/2.8 or f/2.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Vizsla mom

Great shots! I was just assuming they wouldn't want to shell out the cash for a new lens lol and working with what she has, which are slow zooms (I think ..can't remember what she typed exactly), she doesn't have much chance of getting shots like that