Some Training Questions

I have signed up our rescue (who is 11.5 weeks old) for puppy classes.
They havent started yet. Anyway, I have been working with her religiously every day on sit, stay, down, come.
She does great, BUT when I take her to the bus stop in the am she is nuts.
It is like she forgets to sit and that I even exsist. I do keep right on her though and I dont let any of the kids pet her if she doesnt sit.
Granted she hasnt been pet alot the past 2 days.
Is this something that will go away with consistancy and time?
I know it is going to take me to keep at it as well.
Thanks so much.
Also, the same problem happens at our house.
I have put a sign on my door and treats outside.
She must sit when people come in and then she gets a treat.

Doberluv

Dogs don't generalize very well. Sitting at home and sitting where all that excitement and distraction is are two entirely different things to a dog. Distraction training needs to be done after the skills are learned in a quiet place like your home. You need to very gradually add in distractions....mild at first and practice her sitting with those. Then add in a little more distractions. You can go ahead and go to the bus stop, but don't expect her to perform like she does with no distractions. It's a whole other ball game....and needs practice. You don't go ahead to a bigger distraction until she can perform well with the previous and milder distraction that you practiced with. That goes for any skill or behavior. Distraction training is a seperate issue....like a complettely different exercise.

It's like someone who doesn't sing much...never sang in public. They can sing all right in the shower. But get them in an auditorium with 1000 people watching and that may be another thing. Add to that those 1000 people coughing, stretching, yawning, shifting around in their seats, getting up, walkaing out. LOL. A whole other ball game for the shower singer. LOL.

Ok, ok....a dumb analogy.

That totally makes sense. I thought I was doing something wrong.
Well I guess I am in thinking or expecting too much from her too soon.
Thanks for setting me straight :) Looks like I need some training as well LOL

Members online

No members online now.