What do you use for your dog's flea & tick/heartworm medication?

LabLover95

Hi!
I'd just like to know what you use for your dog's flea & tick/heartworm medication. I myself used to use a combination of Heartguard and Frontline, but when we had a flea problem and the Frontline wasn't doing its job, I switched to Trifexis (about 6 months - 1 year ago). However, I'm hearing a lot of horror stories about Trifexis on the net and especially on Facebook. I'd really like to hear your opinion on this - is it just hype or is there a real danger?
Thanks so much!

DJEtzel

Half of everything I have personally heard about Trifexis was bad. That worries me a bit, but you know, statistics might make it safer than others.

I just use bug off garlic and liquid Ivomec for flea/tick/heartworm.

xpaeanx

Sentry fiproguard plus I use a natural repellant spray before we go in the woods and liquid ivermec. We're overrun around here with ticks though.

Saeleofu

I get Advantix for Logan free through IAADP. I get Frontline for Gavroche and Heartgard for both dogs free through Merial at work (benefits of working in a vet clinic!). So that's what I use.

If I could get Trifexis for free like I do the other stuff, that it what I would use, because I HATE topicals. I did get 6 months worth free for the dogs last year, and so I used it for 6 months, and I had NO problems at all. We have probably over half our clients on it at work, and they have been on it for over a year. The only side effect I've heard reported is vomiting, and that mostly happens when people don't give it with a meal. We don't recommend it for dogs with a history of seizures because it might lower the seizure threshold, but so far I have not hear of any of our clients having issues with seizures or anything.

BostonBanker

I now use Heartgard for heartworm for my guys; I used Interceptor until it became unavailable.

No flea or tick stuff here. My dogs, despite spending a ton of time running in the woods and fields, seem to be very luck about not picking up ticks. I've pulled maybe 4 or 5 wood ticks total off them ever. Both have short enough hair they are pretty easy to spot. Never had a flea problem, even when everyone in our area was having them last year. We've been lucky!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Heartgard year-round for heartworm... aaaand that's about it.

Flea and tick stuff, it's just so sporadic that I do anything. I won't do the topicals anymore - I used to use Frontline/Certifect just because I got it for free and I figured why not. This year I just decided to give my share to a coworker who actually needs it. My animals are just not attractive to bugs.

I don't know anything about Trifexis... I don't think that's a common one around here.

Ivermectin for heartworm prevention and I use Comfortis for fleas. We only use flea medication after I actually see a flea, otherwise I try to keep my dogs as chemical free as possible.

Unfortunately, when I bathed the dogs two weeks ago I saw a single flea on Gus, so off to buy Comfortis I went. They will remain on it for the rest of the summer.

srghc8

I use Advantix for both my dogs otherwise they are overrun with ticks. For heartworm I have them both on Iverhart Max. So far both have done really good on them, although if the ticks weren't so bad I would not opt to use a topical.

I use Heartguard for heartworms.

I use Vets Best for fleas/ticks - it's an essential oils spray, I just use it when we're going to be in a heavy area.

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
I still have Interceptor leftover that I'm using for the bigger dogs, but I ran out of StiXxX's size... so he's on Ivermectin. Once the Interceptor runs out, the big dogs will be on it as well.

For fleas/ticks, I either use AdvantixII or Frontline Plus. I have to be careful with the Advantix because of the cats, but I usually lock them in a room and put the dogs outside for a few while the product dries... then by the time that occurs, it's bed time and the dogs are either crated or in my room, still separated from the cats.

I have used and LOVE Trifexis, but it is not cost effective for five dogs, most of which are 60+ lbs.

StillandSilent

Trifexis here. Argon was one of the dogs who had a terrible reaction to it, but its the only thing that is reliably killing fleas here. The others seem to tolerate it well

elegy

overdogged
Heartgard and either Frontline Plus or Certifect (Frontline + low dose amitraz).

Has anybody used that longterm use (8 months I think?) flea/tick collar, Seresto? It's supposed to repel fleas and ticks as well as kill them. We have tons of ticks here, and while Frontline reliably *kills* them, I still end up pulling dead ticks off my dogs, which is gross.

Heartgard and either Frontline Plus or Certifect (Frontline + low dose amitraz).

Has anybody used that longterm use (8 months I think?) flea/tick collar, Seresto? It's supposed to repel fleas and ticks as well as kill them. We have tons of ticks here, and while Frontline reliably *kills* them, I still end up pulling dead ticks off my dogs, which is gross.
We just started carrying it at my work, haven't sold too many of them yet. We watched some training videos on it, and it seemed legit. *shrug*

It's pretty pricy, around $70 I think, which throws a lot of people off. However, if it is truly effective for 8 months, and the flea/tick season where you live is 8 months or longer, then it would end up potentially being cheaper than Frontline (which we sell for $45) - you'd be paying $8-10/month rather than $15/month.

LabLover95

Thanks so much for all of your answers!!
We've been using Trifexis for Mollie for at least a year, and she has never shown any adverse reactions, even though she is at the bottom of the weight range (she's 63 lbs. and the range is 60-120). So I'm concluding that it's fine for her. Most of the stories I've heard were about the first administration of Trifexis.
We used to use Frontline and Heartguard, but later she had a huge flea problem which the Frontline just couldn't control. It is a bit worrying that Trifexis is not proven to cover ticks, but we don't have a lot of ticks around here. If I start noticing any tick activity I'll probably switch her over to another medication, maybe like K9 Advantix. (Is that how it's spelled? LOL!)
Thanks again everybody!

Members online