Sentinel

Can anyone tell me about Sentinel flea/tick preventitives? How good are they with preventing fleas/ticks? Is it waterproof? Is it bad for cats?

Also, do they have a website? When I google it it just gives me websites trying to sell it.

sammy

We use it on Lucy,but she still has fleas. She's been on it for about a year and a half,but fleas are horrible where i live so that could be the problem with her..I dont know if its bad for cats or not?Sentinel is a pill,so i dont think its waterproof.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
I wouldn't use something that actually enters the bloodstream for flea prevention. :( Dogs are exposed to enough chemicals in their daily life already. The other problem is that a flea actually has to bite a dog and ingest its blood for the product to do anything, and even then it just prevents flea eggs from hatching but does not kill adult fleas.

If I were you, I'd use Interceptor for heartworm (has a better safety track record) and either Frontline or Advantage for fleas.

Edited to add product website:
http://www.sentinel.novartis.us/product_label/en/index.shtml

Mordy

Quigleyfied
You really have to try it to see what happens.

I've been using Advantage with great success for many years and never had any luck with Frontline (every time I tried it, it never got rid of the fleas), with a friend of mine it's the exact opposite - for her the Frontline works but Advantage doesn't. I've heard the same thing from many other people.

Both are excellent products and as long as your dog doesn't develop a reaction to one or the other you can't really go wrong. Just pick one, give it a try and see how it works. Frontline is more water resistant than Advantage, if that's of any importance to you. :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm debating between sticking with Frontline and trying out BioSpot, since it's supposed to take repel/kill mosquitos as well...something Frontline doesn't do.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Be careful though, Zoom - BioSpot contains Permethrin, which has caused severe adverse reactions in some dogs and is even more toxic to cats. It's the same ingredient that is added to Advantage to create Advantix - which repels mosquitoes as well by the way.

Check out this article:
http://www.elversonpuzzle.com/biospot.html

Members online

No members online now.