Satin Balls and a 9 week old GSD

I have an underweight GSD. I have had him at the Dr. office and all his health tests came back ok. He is from a large litter of 14 so they were all small which is a good thing. He is growing slow and that is great. I just think that his pelvic and spine are too prominent. I was wondering what you all thought about Satin Balls for a week or so just until he gains enough weight. Any advice or opinions...here are some photos so you all can see what I am talking about. I want to put some weight on him so that I can start walking him and build up some muscle. He is lacking quite a bit IMO..
Thanks
Ivanna

From up fron the looks great!

I'd just measure out a high-quality food. Make sure it's correct and up it just a tad if you want to. He does look like he could stand to gain a pound or two, but he doesn't look too skinny. BTW he's a cutie!

gaddylovesdogs said:
I'd just measure out a high-quality food. Make sure it's correct and up it just a tad if you want to. He does look like he could stand to gain a pound or two, but he doesn't look too skinny. BTW he's a cutie!
I have done that for the 2 weeks that we have had him. He is currently eating DVP Natural Balance Ultra Premuim for all life stages. He gobbles it up. I have upped it from the recommended 2 cups daily to 3 cups daily. He isn't gaining anything. He is growing but not gaining.

L

LabBreeder

What's the fat & protein % in the food? Maybe he needs something that will keep bone growth slow and up the body fat/muscle.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've not heard of Satin Balls, but I would a) make sure he is on a large breed puppy food so he continues to grow slowly and doesn't damage his joints and b) maybe add in a bit of high quality puppy food for added fat or c) start giving him a bit of Nutri-Cal supplement.

LabBreeder said:
What's the fat & protein % in the food? Maybe he needs something that will keep bone growth slow and up the body fat/muscle.
Here is what I am feeding him now...any suggestions on a great high quality food?
INGREDIENT LISTING
Chicken, Brown Rice, Duck, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols - source of Vitamin E, Citric Acid, and Rosemary Extract), Natural Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil, Brewers Yeast, Lecithin, Choline Chloride, Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Dried Kelp, Sodium Chloride, Parsley Flakes, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplements, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Lysine, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Inositol, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), D-Activated Animal Sterol (source of Vitamin D-3), Biotin, Ethylene Diamine Dihydriodide (source of Iodine), Cobalt Sulfate, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Sodium Selenite.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein 23.0% minimum
Crude Fat 13.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Omega 3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum
Omega 6 Fatty Acids 3.0% minimum

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I would say NB is fine for him, I also fed that to my pup for a while because it's what his foster mom fed him. :) You do not want protein levels too high, but the fat could be higher. Feeding satin balls would be a great way to add some fat into his diet and help him put on a few lbs. Just don't overdo it, you could have a sick pup if you feed too much too soon. Have you ever considered feeding him raw? GSD's & other large breed pups, in particular, thrive on raw because it maintains weight and keeps growth nice & gradual.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
I wouldn't feed Satin Balls, especially not to a puppy that young.

First of all the recipe contains a few ingredients that aren't of really good quality and second they provide far too many calories (and mostly fat calories) for a growing large breed puppy which you don't want to overfeed in the first place.

Eagle Pack makes nice foods and they are specifically tested on large and giant breeds, so would be ideal for your puppy. http://eaglepack.com

Members online

No members online now.