The dog musing/vent thread

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Today I realized Juno is getting old. She was sooo pooped by the end of her agility class. I did not know it was possible to exhaust her. It never used to be possible, at least. I think she just wore herself out on the a-frame, she's really really timid about it and slooooowly claaawwwsss her way up instead of just GOING for it. So after a couple reps of that, when it was time to jump over a hurdle, it was the laziest "there's nothing left in the tank" sort of jump.

But she made complete BFFs with the trainer today and you'd never know that 3 classes ago he couldn't come within 10 feet of her without spooking her.

Sparrow

Bloo got called skinny and tiny today.

No, actually, pit bulls just aren't meant to be 100lbs of fat.
Zoe gets called skinny a lot. I've also been asked if she is a Greyhound mix due to her build. Her mom was an oversized byb pit-type, and dad was some random, but no. She's not skinny. She is what a dog of her build SHOULD look like. Her vet loves her weight. It's why she is 11 and people constantly mistake her for a young dog.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Feist figured out how to roll down the window in the car. Wth.
Window Lock. Always on when dogs are in my car, even when the dogs are in their crates, since I have dogs who can break out of soft crates. =P

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I told the story about Summer rolling down my window and jumping out a couple weeks ago, right? (Parked car but still!)

Yep, windows are always locked in my car for that reason. They both will roll down the windows.

Yea I keep the window locks on all the time, too. Because the first time that happened to me and I realized it could happen, Squash accidentally CLOSED the window right on his face. :/

BostonBanker

I keep the window lock on; what I really need is to be able to shut off access to the door lock! I am very prone to leaving the car unlocked and my keys in the cup holder (at the barn, at agility, etc). I had one dog that locked me out of my own car twice in one day! I have gotten more careful about it, because I feel like Gusto would do it just to be funny. But it still is always on my mind.

I've actually considered teaching hitting the lock button as a trick, so I could get Gusto to unlock it for me if it happens.

FG167

Today at training Kastle threw a fit and bit his leash, the clip, and broke off the tops of two canines. Both into the pulp. Joy. That's three teeth lost to temper tantrums and two to toy drive. He is expensive and stressful. Mom's not happy Loppy...

Here's his "smile"...before the broken canines today

Today, after 6 months of stressing over and working on Astro's various issues (resource guarding, terrible loosh leash walking and focus, etc.), I finally got a glimpse of a light at the end of the tunnel. We had an impromptu playdate with one of his favorites, an older Border Collie/Lab who is still a puppy at heart and very willing to play gladiator-style as Astro likes. He walked so well on the leash walk over there, I could've held his leash loop with one finger, and he walked just as well back, which is crazy good considering he's usually only MORE amped up after playdates (even when the other dog is d.on.e. and he should theoretically be tired himself). He even let the other dog share a stick with him!

And now he's laying flat on his side, panting, looking directly up at me with this soft and happy look in his eyes. I now remember why I like pushy, crazy dogs like him....the puppyhood is hell but I'd still rather to bottle up energy than dredge it out, and you get moments like this where you feel like your work has finally paid off :)

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
YAY Art and Talon!!!! How did he do at class???

I'm so tired of Jari being a boy. He's gross. He licks and chatters CONSTANTLY. I brought him over to my friend's house and she has two intact females (neither is in season or is going in to season obviously) and he just would NOT leave them alone. I thought he would maybe like run and play like a normal dog, but no. Her one dog would do very light corrections that Jari ignored, and her other just didn't care what he was doing. I really hope this phase ends one day :/

Today at training Kastle threw a fit and bit his leash, the clip, and broke off the tops of two canines. Both into the pulp. Joy. That's three teeth lost to temper tantrums and two to toy drive. He is expensive and stressful. Mom's not happy Loppy...

OUCH!!!! Poor dude. Poor you!!

Today, after 6 months of stressing over and working on Astro's various issues (resource guarding, terrible loosh leash walking and focus, etc.), I finally got a glimpse of a light at the end of the tunnel. We had an impromptu playdate with one of his favorites, an older Border Collie/Lab who is still a puppy at heart and very willing to play gladiator-style as Astro likes. He walked so well on the leash walk over there, I could've held his leash loop with one finger, and he walked just as well back, which is crazy good considering he's usually only MORE amped up after playdates (even when the other dog is d.on.e. and he should theoretically be tired himself). He even let the other dog share a stick with him!

And now he's laying flat on his side, panting, looking directly up at me with this soft and happy look in his eyes. I now remember why I like pushy, crazy dogs like him....the puppyhood is hell but I'd still rather to bottle up energy than dredge it out, and you get moments like this where you feel like your work has finally paid off :)
I love when they show you that there is hope. Jari's been doing that a bit the past few days and it's been SO nice.

I love that after two hours of trick training and agility work at the school, fetch in the park to unwind, and then running beside my bike the whole way home, Venice is scampering up and down my hallway with a ball teasing foster boy. I wanted a dog I could count on to keep up with me and play all day, and I think that's just what I got. :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
It sleeps!!! We've officially had Cajun for a week and today is the first day she's actually laid down, without being in her crate. At one point she even curled up and took a nap. I was beginning to think this wasn't possible.

Toller_08

It just occurred to me not long ago that the Dobermans are both beginning to look old. They're not old. Ripley turns five years old in a week, and Keira is six and a half... but they just look older somehow recently. Keira especially. Neither has any grey hairs, but their eyes and just something else that I can't pinpoint look older. :-(

Equinox

Holy crow, Kastle. I remember that before image. YOU NEED TEETH KASTLE. TEETH THAT STAY IN YOUR MOUTH. It's a good thing you love him...

I'm really surprised by how easy Kastle makes breaking teeth seem. I mean, I'd imagine that it'd take quite a bit of force to break off teeth even on a metal clip, but maybe not? Either way, really sorry you have to deal with this (again)!! :(

It sleeps!!! We've officially had Cajun for a week and today is the first day she's actually laid down, without being in her crate. At one point she even curled up and took a nap. I was beginning to think this wasn't possible.
Awesome!! Definitely good news!

It just occurred to me not long ago that the Dobermans are both beginning to look old. They're not old. Ripley turns five years old in a week, and Keira is six and a half... but they just look older somehow recently. Keira especially. Neither has any grey hairs, but their eyes and just something else that I can't pinpoint look older. :-(
I hate realizing that. With Trent (5 years old), it absolutely is the gray hairs -

but somehow I imagine seeing their age in their eyes/expression hitting harder emotionally. With Trent, I gravitate between telling him to stop aging and teasing him for his puppy/baby face.

Grab

I'm so tired of Jari being a boy. He's gross. He licks and chatters CONSTANTLY. I brought him over to my friend's house and she has two intact females (neither is in season or is going in to season obviously) and he just would NOT leave them alone. I thought he would maybe like run and play like a normal dog, but no. Her one dog would do very light corrections that Jari ignored, and her other just didn't care what he was doing. I really hope this phase ends one day :/
How old is Jari now? I'm trying to decide if Brooks is just really appropriate or if he's going to turn into a gross teenager any day now. He's not been around in heat females, mind you, but he's appropriate with intact females that aren't in season.And no chatters or licking, thank heavens. (I can't even handle foot licking sounds..ew)

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
How old is Jari now? I'm trying to decide if Brooks is just really appropriate or if he's going to turn into a gross teenager any day now. He's not been around in heat females, mind you, but he's appropriate with intact females that aren't in season.And no chatters or licking, thank heavens. (I can't even handle foot licking sounds..ew)
He's 14 months, and this started about 2 months ago. Brooks might just be really appropriate LOL.

SaraB

My dogs rock. This new job is really, really stressful for dogs and they are handling it like pros. Not only are they performing in front of 300+ crowds of people multiple times a day, but they are on display in their runs between shows and are LOVING coming out and getting pet by all the kids and people. I am so grateful to have dogs with such awesome, stable temperaments and dogs that truly enjoy getting so much attention.

I'm also loving the baby dogs' progress. Zip Tie is almost ready to do agility in the show (just a simple, fast circle) and Renegade is getting her freestyle routine pieced together. Mighty Mouse has a bit to go, I think she'll be a long term project to get her ready, but man, she has so much fun during training!

Members online

No members online now.