How and What Do You Eat?

Kootenay

I'm a bit all over the place with my eating, sometimes I eat really well, but I am not super strict about it. I grew up on a farm and with hippy parents so I always ate a lot of fresh, organic foods, lots of it grown ourselves. So I have tried to continue with that.

I could definitely cut out more carbs, and have done for short stints in the past, but I find it hard to keep up.

Today for instance I ate toast and an egg (from our own chickens) for breakfast, and lunch was a plate full of fresh veggies from the garden (peas, beans, cucumber and carrots) dipped in homemade dressing, and some almonds. Dinner will probably be more garden veggies and a protein, and quite possibly some kind of grain (usually brown rice or quinoa). But I will snack on crackers and cheese, or eat chocolate, and sometimes we have frozen pizza or perogies for dinner. I try to just keep my eating generally pretty healthy but I don't stress about it.

I think also because of my upbringing, I never crave fast food or anything. I don't even really like fries or burgers and I literally cannot finish a soft drink. So I don't really have to worry about that too much.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I eat pretty much constantly. In the past, I'd graze on crap (chips, sweets, fatty foods, etc.). Since I started eating better and exercising this year, I still eat throughout the day, but it's measured and better stuff. Fruits, veggies, high fiber snacks, protein snacks, etc. All of it goes in the log. You could say that I'm "counting calories", but i don't "cut myself off" if I'm "over" for the day. I may make some alternate choices for the remainder of the day, but I never go hungry.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I cook 90% of my food at home from scratch. I eat breakfast at home and bring my lunch from home. A bit like Sparks, I follow a general rule of about 80% healthy and 20% what-I-want. Turns out, what I want is often healthy now, too. :p

My boyfriend is also heavy on cooking good food from scratch, which helps a lot. We cook each other healthy, good, TASTY meals a lot. Yum.

I've also gotten a LOT more active, which makes that 20% cheating not a huge deal. At all.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I really varies. DH and I are trying to eat more balanced, but we do tend toward processed stuff, so it'll slide toward that, we'll catch ourselves, fix it, slide some again, repeat.

We have started having awesome salads (lettuce of various kinds, veggies, a few nuts/seeds/dried fruit) several times/week and I am loving that. I try not to have junk in the house, but if I'm craving it, it's better to just eat some and get it over with vs trying to stop it with healthy stuff because I end up eating too much as a filler. I'm trying to drink more water, with mixed results.

I eat a well balanced diet. In every meal, I try to include a fist sized portion of protein, two handfuls of fruit or veggies, and a palm sized portion of whole grains as directed by my doctor. I avoid foods high in fat, sugar, or white flour. Just a pretty basic balanced diet.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Voraciously, and all kinds of things I shouldn't. :p

I am trying to change my diet around, because I really do eat like crap. Right now the bulk of what I eat is processed garbage, and I'm not good with portion control. I have been cooking tons of fresh parsnips lately. Mmmmmm, parsnips.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I eat what I can afford. If it's ramen, it's ramen. If it's healthy veggies and fruits and lean meats, its that too. I try to stay away from grains and processed stuff but that doesn't go too well for me living on a budget, so I just try to eat as simply and naturally as possible.

Members online