Bad News Regarding Sonja

Ivy

I have bad news.......Sonja (my foster) has tested positive for heartworm:(

The vet said that she has both adults and babies, meaning that they have already gone through a whole cycle. She has been living with them for an estimate of 8 to 12 months. He also said that could be a factor in her kidney failure as well.

My poor girl. I already spoke to the rescue and they will definately be providing the funding for her treatment. I still have vacation days left that I haven't used yet so I will be using them to stay with Sonja during the first step of the treatment.

I hope she pulls through okay.

It's wonderful that the rescue is going to fund her treatment. Hopefully all will go well and she'll be feeling much better before you know it. *******VIBES******** to Sonja!

I guess we should rest assured that Sonja will be fine since she's in good hands now.... kudos to the rescue

Ivy

This is the rescues first ever heartworm case, so lets keep our paws crossed for the best.

This is the breakdown of Sonja's treatment:

I will be going to pick up 3 of the heartguard pills to kill off the babies this Friday. 1 pill is given every other week. So I will give her the pills on a Friday so I have the WHOLE week-end to keep a close eye on Sonja. That way if I see anything concerning or that she is struggling too much, I can take off the Monday and Tuesday if neccessary. The same will repeat itself on week 3 and week 5 for the last 2 pills. Then on week 7 Sonja will be hospitalized for 2 days with IV fluids and 1 vile of the medicine (to kill the adults) will be administered once a day (so 2 viles in total for her first hopitalization) Then on week 9 she has to hostitalized again but for 3 days. The procedure will be the same but she will get 3 viles of the medicine. Then lots of rest.

bubbatd

The keeping quiet is so important . Good luck ! I treated a Golden with a bad case , and when the treatment was over , she went to a loving home . Sadly in 3 weeks she fell over dead . Her heart was too badly damaged . D@mn heart worms !!!

Members online

No members online now.