I'm not sure which is worse.....

Romy

Taxiderpy
Letting a dog ride unrestrained in the open bed of a pickup.....or letting a dog ride in the open bed of a pickup, tied to the pickup with a leash that is fastened to a prong collar around the dog's neck.

:yikes:

Somebody was doing this on my way home from work.....Just..Oh my.

Miakoda

Or how about tying him with with enough slack so that the dog has ample to room to jump over the side and hang himself....................

I've seen both scenarios and in every single case the owner acted like a confused moron and kept stuttering "He's never done that before." And I got reply, "And he never will again. He's dead."

Romy

Taxiderpy
Yeah, this dog was standing up on the edge of the sides of the truck, tongue flapping in the breeze at 35 MPH. I guess it might be better than a flat buckle, since there's a chance the prong might break and he wouldn't get hung and dragged to death that way. :(

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Seeing either pretty much kills me. Honestly, the latter is slightly better, if only a TINY bit...

I saw a black Lab puppy FLY out of the bed of a pick-up that turned sharply right in front of me, and they ran over their own puppy with a ridiculously huge monster-truck tire. And proceded to stop, then throw the yelping puppy back into the truck bed. =,( I used to cringe every time I saw a loose dog in a pick-up bed, now I have to fight back tears. It's just inconceivable. Anyone who would ever risk their dogs' life in such a careless way doesn't deserve any dogs, ever.

My mom was in a car accident when she was in her 20s, and the truck that hit her had 2 German shepherds in the back of it. One got thrown onto the road and died instantly, and the other got thrown onto the grass but at less of a distance and lived.

Miakoda

If you're going to have your dog ride in the bed of your truck, install either a center ring and tether his to wear he cannot reach the sides of the truck or better yet, install 2 o-rings to each side and cross tie him to wear he stays in the center.

or best, have a kennel installed that you can put him in.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
If you're going to have your dog ride in the bed of your truck, install either a center ring and tether his to wear he cannot reach the sides of the truck or better yet, install 2 o-rings to each side and cross tie him to wear he stays in the center.

or best, have a kennel installed that you can put him in.
The one time I had to made a dog ride in the back of a truck without a kennel, I cross tied him. I got the idea from when horses are tied for brushing. It works pretty good. I much prefer that to tied to one side or the other as well.

Now, of course, they ride in style. :D

mrose_s

BusterLove
Worst things I've ever seen are dogs int eh back of utes with ropes long enough to jump over and get dragged... in the middle lane of a three way highway.

My mums last partner was terrible with the dogs and his ute, no matter how much we TOLD him to tie them in, he never did. I was almost nervous of asking because I knew even if he did, the leash would be too long.
They all fell out a few times, luckily were never injured.

Members online

No members online now.