Border Collie really shedding

heavyjay

Baloo, our 17 month old Border Collie, has been shedding profusely since about March of this year when he turned a year old. Before that, we found little to no dog hair around the house. At first I thought he was losing his winter coat, but this has been going on for 5 months now. I figured there would be some shedding, but he's throwing out big locks of fur. For all the shedding though, he has no thin or bare spots. He had a checkup and full blood tests before his neutering in June and the vet says he is healthy. We have had him on Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken, which contains fish meal and salmon oil, since the day we got him in July of 2007. What am I missing?

PAWZ

Agility Junkie
Hundchen is for puppies I would change him the the regular Hundenflocken which I also feed to my bc's. If your pup is a rough coat get use to it I have 3 bc's 1 rough, 2 semi rough and I have to ride herd on the dust bunnies every other day, worse in the summer though. Hundchen has alot of protien in it more than your pup might need at this stage of his life

heavyjay

Thanks, Pawz. He's definitely rough coated. I'll switch him to the adult formula when I but the next bag. I hope it eases up at least a little. We're vacuuming every day.

heavyjay

Hey, where did you get your BC? I'd love to see pictures :D
We got him from a military couple at McGuire AFB here in NJ. They were moving off base and the place they were moving to only allowed one pet. They got him from a breeder and had only had him about 7 or 8 weeks. Our son had been hounding us (no pun intended) for a dog and we finally gave in. Of course, now he's my dog. I never thought I would get so attached. We're in the process of buying a house in the Poconos, so it will be nice for him to have room to run around. My wife has a camera full of pictures. As soon as I can find the cable and get them from the camera to the computer, I'll put some up. He's a blue merle and I assume he's full grown. He weighs between 45 and 50 lbs.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
You have A BLUE MERLE Border Collie?! *swoon*
Hurry up with those pictures, first and foremost!

Welcome to owning a BC. hehe. You're probably just now noticing the profuse shedding because, well, he is probably just now getting his full coat in. Last summer, he was just a puppy with no undercoat.

Gonzo is a very heavy shedder. It was ridiculous at first, but we've all gotten used to picking up hairballs here and there, vaccuming more often, and I have a pretty good schedule as far as grooming. During the warmer months... he gets 2 thorough, 15-30 minute brush-outs per week, with an undercoat rake and a pin brush. He gets 2 baths a month, which help the most. I use a high-pressure blowdryer and I brush him out very thoroughly, and trim him a bit.

There really is only so much you can do! He's on a good diet. You can supplement him with fish body oil/vit E and/or raw eggs. Brushing him out regularly, and getting all of that loose undercoat out, will help with the shedding and will make him much more comfortable. But, really, it won't take long for you to get used to having hair everywhere... on your clothes, furniture, in your food, etc. Lawl ; )

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
you can always go at him with a furminator... it does help a bit, but there will still be doggie dust bunnies :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Welcome to life with a rough-coated breed. I've got an Aussie and even with brushing everyday, I'm still constantly picking up furry tumbleweeds.

He is ADORABLE!

maple

Queen of the Jungle
The swiffer is my best friend! :eek:)
I've noticed alot more shedding this year compared to other years, as have some of my doggie friends....

Brushing them may help, and maybe some fish oil on his food.

He's gorgeous! A blue merle! Wow! Lucky you :D

Members online

No members online now.