hog dog shot by deer hunter

mrose_s

BusterLove
http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_...pnpID=909&NewsID=832207&CategoryID=13280&on=0

One Douglas man learned the expensive way that there’s just no excuse for shooting another man’s hunting dog.

According to Macon Attorney Carl Reynolds, Adrian James Teal of Douglas, who claimed to have had 26 years of hunting experience, was ordered Tuesday by a Paulding County jury to pay Gene Brooks of Dublin a total of $10,000 for his hunting dog, Buster.

“I wouldn’t have took that for him. I wouldn’t have took $25,000 for him. He just wasn’t for sale,†said Gene Brooks this morning from Millwood Lodge, where he and his brother, Joe, train dogs, lead hunts and raise their own hunting dogs to use for hunts.

“People don’t realize what dogs mean to dog owners. You get attached to them,†he said, adding he can’t explain how it felt to walk to where his dog fell to find him dead.

“He was just that much to me,†said Brooks. “For the simple reason that I went hunting and when I came home with him you knew you’d been hunting with a real dog. He handled just like a lab. He had just that much sense. He was the most sensible dog I’ve ever owned. He was a pleasure to hunt with and everybody that hunted with him bragged on him. I never had no trouble with him being like a trash dog.â€

Buster is a “Kerr†breed of dog, which is a breed name given by the Brookses to the dogs they raise that are one-half hound, one-quarter bulldog and one-quarter bird dog. Buster was a solid white dog.

Reynolds explained that Brooks, along with his brother Joe and Tripp Neal, were hunting feral hogs in Washington County on property estimated to be a tract of about 6,000 acres near the river. Buster was wearing two fluorescent orange collars, with one of those collars obviously a tracking collar. He had crossed the river, which marked the land line to a hunting club, while in pursuit of a hog. Horne’s associate attorney Joe Boyd said Brooks’ hunting companion, Neal, told him the river was the property line, but before Brooks could call his dog back a shot was heard on the other side of the river.

Reynolds said Teal admitted he was in the deer stand when the dog came near his stand and “ruined his day hunting,†which was the last day of the deer season of January 2005.

Although Teal left the area after shooting the dog and had to be tracked down by Brooks, he admitted to shooting the dog. He also admitted that he knew it was someone’s hunting dog, but that the dog was messing up his deer hunting and it had no right to be on that property. Teal was identified in the shooting by members of his hunting party on the hunting club, where he was an invited guest. When questioned in court, Teal claimed he shot the dog accidentally.

“A hunter who showed such disregard for someone’s hunting dog needed to be held accountable for his conduct,†said Reynolds, a trial attorney with the firm of Reynolds, Horne and Survant. Reynolds said he is an avid outdoorsman and owner of several hunting dogs himself.

Prior to going to trial, Teal had offered $1,500 for shooting the dog. Reynolds said the jury award was twice what Brooks had originally said he’d settle for and about seven times what Teal offered to pay.

Reynolds presented testimony to the jury showing Brooks had spent considerable time and money training Buster and that the dog generated substantial income from stud fees, as well as catching feral hogs.

Boyd said Brooks would take the dog and go to the property of others to catch feral hogs that were causing a problem for the landowner and then when the hogs were caught he could sell them to hunting clubs who wanted hogs on their property.

Brooks said he believes Teal shot his dog and left the scene because like some deer hunters he’s come to know, he hated hunting dogs.

“He just took off, but that ain’t nothing uncommon for a deer hunter to shoot a dog. Deer hunters hate dogs. They just don’t like dogs, I’d say 70 percent of them don’t. I’ve known of them to poison them,†he said, adding some deer hunters will ride down the road near their hunting club or property and pour poison out for the neighborhood dogs to get.

“Their idea is a deer is scared of a dog,†he said, but added his experience has been quite different. He said he has dogs near a stream 200 yards from his house and the dogs can bark all they want to and it won’t frighten the deer who come out of the woods nearby, but if a person is out there and moves then it frightens the deer away.

“The dog barking at them doesn’t bother them...â€

Brooks said Buster was his favorite dog and was worth so much more to him than money.

“He was just above the average dog. I’ve never owned but two like him. His daddy was like that, but he was just exceptional,†said Brooks.

Brooks said he also didn’t buy the accidental shooting story either.

“He wasn’t 25 yards from him. He knew what he was shooting. I had two fluorescent collars on him and one of them was a tracking collar,†said Brooks.

Peter Schmidt of St. Simons represented Teal in the case. He declined comment citing “pending litigation†and said he thought Brooks was going to appeal the judgment because he believed Brooks had wanted $110,000 for the dog.

But Brooks said he is satisfied with what the jury did despite that if Buster had lived the next five years he probably would have made more than $110,000 off the stud fees, puppies ad hunting trips done with the dog, which is where that figure came from.

“It’s over with and I ain’t got to worry about it anymore,†said Brooks.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
the deer here ignore my dogs as well, and for some reason they ignore the deer

that is just a shame, i am glad the judge gave it to him hard.

I wouldnt shoot a dog in either case, but there is another side. Many people pay a great deal of money for a hunt, and they want to fill their tags, particularly on the last day of season. There is much money and time tied up in many hunts, we arent hearing about that side. I know that dogs and deer dont consider themselves chums (typically. I know someone is going to post a dog and deer sleeping together). This easily could have botched his hunt.

I dont think the guy should have shot the dog, but the dog owner set this whole thing in motion and he should be just as liable.

I think it said the shooter was "not invited," aka trespassing. Therefore, I doubt he paid anything into that location.

heartdogs

I wouldnt shoot a dog in either case, but there is another side. Many people pay a great deal of money for a hunt, and they want to fill their tags, particularly on the last day of season. There is much money and time tied up in many hunts, we arent hearing about that side. I know that dogs and deer dont consider themselves chums (typically. I know someone is going to post a dog and deer sleeping together). This easily could have botched his hunt.

I dont think the guy should have shot the dog, but the dog owner set this whole thing in motion and he should be just as liable.
What???? Sorry, I may be just a pup here, but dogs are not something you shoot for their owner's misdeeds. People with a normal amount of testosterone, if they are damaged by someone else's dog, have the option of conversation, leaving, lawsuit, etc., but IMO, no amount of money is worth killing the dog. If you want a canned hunt, fence the deer in (and that is a heinous and cowardly thing to do, too.) This stuff is just macho BS.

But, in hog country, I know that dogs get shot for a lot less. :mad:

I think it said the shooter was "not invited," aka trespassing. Therefore, I doubt he paid anything into that location.
Hunting clubs and their guests typically lease land, this isnt cheap. I could have swore it said he was invited. I dont see anything where the shooter was trespasing, if that is the case and I missed it, then I agree that he should have to pay full damages.

Last edited:
What???? Sorry, I may be just a pup here, but dogs are not something you shoot for their owner's misdeeds. People with a normal amount of testosterone, if they are damaged by someone else's dog, have the option of conversation, leaving, lawsuit, etc., but IMO, no amount of money is worth killing the dog. If you want a canned hunt, fence the deer in (and that is a heinous and cowardly thing to do, too.) This stuff is just macho BS.

But, in hog country, I know that dogs get shot for a lot less. :mad:
I do think I stated that it isnt something I would do. I agree also with the canned hunting comment. I am not sure this was a canned hunt. If the dog got onto the property it obviously would allow game in and out. Everyone feels sorry for the dog owner who put the poor dog in that situation, by not controlling him. If I was out hunting with my dog and he chased after a rabbit onto private land and got shot, it would be my fault even though I would want to kill the land owner. I am sure the law out here would tell me to keep my dog under control. I know that if I set off early in the morning to a tree stand and planned on finishing my last day of hunting from it I would be cranked if someone or something scented the area for me.

DanL

It said he was an invited guest. The guys with the dog knew the stream was the boundry and they were about to call the dog back when they heard the shot.

It was a low life thing for the hunter to do- taking out his anger on the dog. What if another hunter had passed by his tree and peed? That's been known to happen before as well- would he have shot the other hunter? Probably not.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Actually, most hunting states have clear dog retrieval laws. Unloess the dog was threatening people or livestock, it is illegal to harm him even if he is on your land. The courts routinelt uphold these laws, and the only issue is how much the dog is worth- since the courts see it as livestock with no sentimental value.

Any state that has pursuit hunting with hounds needs these laws. The hounds are free and pursue the game until they corner it. How are they supposed to know where boundaries are? I've never seen a dog who can read "no trespassing" signs.

heartdogs

What bothers me about this the most is that the hunter just shot - for a first offens. You would think he'd have enough decency to at least talk to the other person, in case the guy was a newbie or something and didn't know the protocol in the area.

Any state that has pursuit hunting with hounds needs these laws. The hounds are free and pursue the game until they corner it. How are they supposed to know where boundaries are? I've never seen a dog who can read "no trespassing" signs.
In this state you dont have to have signs or fences. It is the sole responsibility of the hunter to know what is and what is not private. A trespassing hunter can lose all hunting privileges for 5 years. Out here we have cougar hunts and if a cat is chased onto my property, I do not have to allow the hunter on my property. So what becomes of the dog?

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Wow- I guess that's why they have retrieval laws in other states- how do you tell the dogs and cougar where the property lines are? Can the property owner just kidnap the dog?

What bothers me about this the most is that the hunter just shot - for a first offens. You would think he'd have enough decency to at least talk to the other person, in case the guy was a newbie or something and didn't know the protocol in the area.
I agree, on the other hand I think that someone who loves his dog and takes him to a place where the dog could be in danger and doesnt have control is inviting problems. If you love your dog which Im sure every one here does, would you consider exposing your dog to hunters that you dont know? Hunters are a cross section of the public, many of the dumbasses you see on the highways hunt. I wouldnt even take my dog out on public land during a big game hunting season.

Wow- I guess that's why they have retrieval laws in other states- how do you tell the dogs and cougar where the property lines are? Can the property owner just kidnap the dog?
I dont know what the law is for the dog. The hunter could still shoot across the fenceline but its up to the landowner whether he can retrieve it or not. I passed up a nice 6 point bull elk because I knew the landowner wouldnt allow retrieval without a huge fee. The bull jumped the fence just minutes after the first shot was heard. Many wild game species migrate to private land during hunting season. This is exploited by many ranchers who make huge money on this. I dont really think the laws apply unless someone is caught. Many dogs just disappear out here. Folks from town drop lots of dogs off in the woods and they end up getting put to sleep by ranchers.

Members online

No members online now.