doggie backpack thingies?

fomorii56

So, I obviously am having a brain fart and cant remember what those things are actually called. The ones the dogs wear to carry things around, like a vest. What dogs are those appropriate for? When can you start using one? Im just brainstorming things for the pup to do, but since shes a mutt, far as the vet, myself and input from here, some kind of boxer/hound/maybe beagle mix :) . Not sure if any of those dogs are really made for wearing one of those, but it popped into my head so i thought id ask.
P.S. petsmart has this thing called a wiggly giggly, it makes different noises depending on how its moved, the pup is going NUTS. Finally, something to occupy her, at least for a little while :lol-sign:

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
A doggie backpack is a dog backpack.. bunch of companies make them. make sure it sits appropriately on the dogs shoulder blades, and doesn't sit mid back. Outward hound has one, ruffwear has a couple. Sure other companies make them too if you search around online. My cocker hikes with one on. Carries her own water.

fomorii56

Ahh, thanks. I was so sure they must have some elusive technical name :p I see yours in the picture, very cute. So as long as it fits properly, it should be ok for pretty much any breed? How do you gauge how much weight can be put in them? Id love it if she could carry her own water someday. Shadow will drink from my platypus if i just pinch open the mouth guard but she refuses to do it so far, Im sure shell learn, but still, the dogs are drinking all my water!! :yikes: :lol-sign:

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
You slowly work up weight wise. Somewhere around here it has the weight percentage a dog should carry of their own body weight.. OC Spirt has huskies.. and I think she's answered that Q before actually..

Some backpacks fit a little differently due to breed. I found the outward hound pack didn't sit above her shoulders right.. but we got to look at it in a store. The one I bought was actually super cheap on clearance at princess auto of all places.. But it has fit her body the best out of the ones I've seen so far.

DanL

You can at least let them carry their own water and food if you go camping! :)

fomorii56

Well, I can start with the new puppy, i feel like shadow will take some convincing to carry his own rations. He's an awfully spoiled old man. :p

As MafiaPrincess has stated it is important to build weight slowly and start when the dog is at least 1 year old. Before then you can put the pack on and fil it with plastic bags so he gets used to the bulk but just dont add any weight. NEVER exceed more than 1/3 of your dog's body weight. rarely do people even put that much in the pack. My one male is 61Lbs so he could carry 20Lbs but I have never gone over 10Lbs not because of being paranoid or anthing but simply because I cant stuff the pack full enough to exceed 10Lbs LOL

fomorii56

Thanks, I looked at the one at petsmart online and some of the reviews werent all that great so Ill try and find some of the other ones and see how they look. And I probably wont start until the fall. Its crazy hot here and she's still building up some stamina and muscle so I dont want to do too much to fast. But I def want to give it a try. Heres a slightly related question if anyone happens to read the thread again (if not maybe Ill start a new one :D ) Does anyone know of a comfortable way to canoe with dogs. Our canoe is on the smaller side, 14' and it seems to get really uncomfortable for the dogs to sit/lay down in it for long periods of time. Anyone know of any solutions? My sister suggested putting them in a raft and towing them behind us. She was kidding . . . I think. ;)

jjsmom

"Poopsie"
Petsmart, Petco and REI all have a decent selection of doggie packs as do MANY online places. I have some for mine, and they are good for a couple things. The pup can carry their own supplies if you are hiking, and also if you put a water bottle or two in each side, this allows the dog to expend more energy. This is great for dogs that are FULL of energy or if you have a younger dog AND an older dog together and you need to balance out the exercise a bit more.

No advice on the canoe though! Good luck with that!

Members online

No members online now.