Homemade

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Those that feed a homemade/home cooked diet, what do you feed?

I feel to get Lizzie back on the right track I need to eleminate all kibble.

I would like to feed a home cooked diet to all the dogs. My question is, what is balanced? I'm thinking eggs, rice, veggies, chicken (maybe some raw thrown in once in a while). Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Dekka

Just try me..
I don't feed cooked very often, but when I do I use the crock pot (slow cooker). I toss in freezer burned things lol! Meat, veggies, fruit and just let it cook (no rice or pther grains). They usually prefer raw to cooked, but on a cold day I think its nice to put something warm in their bellies.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I feed Honest Kitchen Preference usually - has all the supplements and yet still the benefits of being able to use cooked or raw meat.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I think HC is going to be out of my budget. But I will check it out.

Also, how much do you feed? How did you know how much to feed?

ETA: I check out HC. When it says you purchase a ten pound box, which makes 40lbs of food, how does that work?

Last edited:

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
ETA: I check out HC. When it says you purchase a ten pound box, which makes 40lbs of food, how does that work?
You rehydrate the food with water, and let it sit for 10 minutes, before feeding. A medium dog eats 1 lb each (rehydrated)... so... a 10 lb box would last your 4 about 10 days. Not very cost effective! :eek:

I recommend joining the K9 Nutrition group on yahoo, they have TONS of homecooked recipes from authors. I've been feeding homecooked to Gonzo and he's doing really well. I feed about 75% muscle meat (chicken or turkey or duck at this point) with some organs once a week, only a little, because it can easily upset the tummy. Then 25% cooked sweet potatoes and cooked or pulverized veggies (mostly leafy greens, with some carrot/broccoli/celery), kelp, salmon oil w/ vit e, he also gets Missing Link. You can replace some of the meat with eggs if your dog do ok with eggs - Gonzo does not. DON'T FORGET the calcium source! Add 1 teaspoon of bone meal or ground egg shell per 1 lb of food. If you use eggshells, put them in a coffee grinder and let them dry overnight.

You want to feed 2-4% of their body weight per day, so about 1 lb for a medium dog. With a dog who has tummy upsets, I would start with just the meat and sweet potatoes/rice/oatmeal and a little more bone meal than normal, and feed LESS than you would normally feed. Once she has adjusted to that, slowly add in each veggie and supplement to make sure you know what it is if she gets an upset tummy.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Thanks! I joined, just waiting on approval.

I looked at the Missing Link. I hadn't really ever given it any thought. Which one do you use?

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I use the joint support formula. Gonzo has a teeny bit of arthritis in his spine (from flyball I'm sure)... but on raw/home-made and with this it's completely gone. All of the formulas contain probiotics, enzymes and fiber for good digestion. Which is important for him, because he's so prone to upset tummy right now.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
If you were feeding to a healthy adult dog, would you choose a different one?

I can't believe all the different ones - very overwhelming! :eek:

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
When i fed homemade, it was just meat and an occasional egg.

They don't need rice and usually don't need veggies. But if you're cooking, that might change things and if you're only feeding chicken as a meat that does change things.

If you were feeding to a healthy adult dog, would you choose a different one?

I can't believe all the different ones - very overwhelming! :eek:
I don't know a whole lot about homecooking, but I do know a fair bit about supplements! For a healthy adult dog, I'd use the Missing Link Canine PLUS - it helps with everything, from skin and coat to joints. My dogs get the NaturVet All-In-One, and they're doing super well on it. Either one would work for a healthy adult dog.

NaturVet

The Missing Link

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Yea HK can be pricy for a larger number of larger dogs. Preference is muuuch more cost effective than the other diets ime as I can get meat pretty cheap if I look for sales.

Ziva is 25lbs and eats HK exclusively, Kes is 40lbs and eats half HK and half kibble. A box of Preference is $50 and lasts my two about 6-8 weeks; Z eats 2/3cup mix+1 cup meat split into two meals/day, Kes eats the same amount as Z but one meal/day and 1 cup kibble/day. I started feeding them according to the HK reccommendations and adjusted based on the dogs' body conditions (didn't need to adjust much at all).

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Thanks Erin.

When feeding 2-4% of the body weight, that's each day? I did 3% for Lizzie, and it just seems like so little?

Members online