mild shampoo for sensitive skin

Saje

Island dweller
I want to find a good shampoo for Nanook that can be used somewhat frequently. I know she doesn't 'need' to be washed too often but Fiona is always putting her mouth on her and I'd just rather keep her on the cleaner side these days. Plus she smells so good after a bath :D

Nanook doesn't really have sensitive skin but I'd prefer something that is super gentle for (more) frequent baths. Recommendations? Oh and I prefer the condensed ones so they last longer.

Toller_08

I love anything by Bark 2 Basics. I'm pretty sure they have a sensitive skin one, too. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I have always used sauve (the same i use on my own head) and followed up with my cream rinse just to add some shine and make them smell pretty. I always make sure i rinse really well. SO far out of all my dogs no one has had any problems with this and have i have been commended on their fine coats. They have to be washed at least once a week because of my allergies and sometimes more often then that as in today when Victor just had to roll in something getting him another bath. He had one last night.:rolleyes:

Saje

Island dweller
Ugh yeah. If it's stinky Nanook will roll in it. Fortunately she also loves to rub on clean baby wipes lol

Saintgirl

A good dog oatmeal shampoo (I like an oatmeal and aloe) would be great for lots of bathing. Human shampoos are pH balanced to 5.5, while a dog pH averages around 7.5 making their bodies more alkaline than us. This means a human shampoo is too harsh for their fur and skin. Also, we have 10-15 cell layers on our skin while dogs have only 3-5, making their skin much more sensitive than human skin. So a human shampoo with the more acidic pH levels is more likely to irritate canine skin. This is also why it is so important to make sure all of the shampoo is rinsed from the fur and skin.

Some people have been successful using human shampoos on their dogs, but I do NOT recommend this because many more people are not so lucky. There are several good brands of oatmeal shampoos, so see what you have readily available for you in your area and then do a quick google search on how they are reviewed. And then pick one that you like!!

Saje

Island dweller
Any recommendations?

I use Fiona's huggies shampoo/body wash on Nanook when we are out of everything else. It doesn't seem to bother her but I don't really like to do that too much. I don't know the ph of baby shampoo though.

Saintgirl

Baby shampoo is pH of 5.5 too, but it does not irritate the eyes! That is what makes it baby shampoo. All of the ones listed above by the others are nice...and I love the smell of the Solid Gold Supersen Gelle Shampoo, not an oatmeal, but still very gentle!!

idreamdou

Ferret Conditioner

All of my pups have sensitive skin, and the winters are especially tough. I use ferret conditioner to keep their skin moisturized and soft. Ferret conditioner is more gentle than any dog conditioner I've found.

I've used Isle of Dogs Primrose. It is a little spendy, not sure if I liked it well-- but I did use the whole bottle. It does not keep good time though.

a.baker

Yeah just about any puppy shampoo that says gentle on the bottle will work great! Also anything with no added perfumes. Perfumes seem to trigger a lot of sensitive skin. Like mentioned above oatmeal products are great!!

If your dog has bad dry itchy flaky skin a little ingested peanut butter every day is a great fix. I have tried it and it worked wonders in 1 week. Only a small amount since it is fattening, depending on your dog and size of dog.

R

rayter

I use HyLite for my dog. It cleans very well without stripping oil from coat or drying my dog's skin.

Members online

No members online now.