What are we doing wrong?

lml

Three weeks ago, my husband and I adopted a 19 m/o Italian Mastiff (to be a companion for our 8 y/o Bernese Mtn. mix.) Before we brought her home, she was completely housebroken and trained. She was not chewing anything either. Her previous owners allowed her to roam the house alone all day without mishap. However, since we brought her home, she has pooped and peed inside at least eight times. Also, she has chewed up a shoe and a pillow. (The chewing just started two days ago.)

In the evenings, she has unlimited access to the backyard, and I come home during my lunch hour to let her out. She has been in the house alone for no more than five hours at a time. What are we doing wrong? Please help!

Doberluv

She may be stressed out by being uprooted from her previous home. She may have a bladder infection. She may need more exercise and more mental stimulation. I don't know what all you're doing with her in the way of exercise and training. All that plus a little time will help her bond with you more and feel secure.

You'll have to confine her in a small area (or super large crate. I'm assuming she's a very large dog) when you're gone, just as you would a new puppy who isn't housebroken. Hopefully, she'll avoid going in her bed or sleeping area if it's small enough, but not cramped. In her small area, you can keep things out that she may destroy and give her some interactive toys, like a Kong stuffed with some goodies.

This may be separation anxiety which isn't full blown yet. She is in a whole new place that she's not very familiar with. Give her time, supervise her when you are around. Prevent destructiveness as best you can by removing easily ruined, loose things and increase her physical and mental exercise. You might also see a vet to make sure there is no medical cause. Let us know how she does during the next couple of weeks....if she seems worse or better.

BTW...does she show any undue distress when you go in another room or go outside without her?

lml

We have been walking/running her once a day and throwing tennis balls in the back yard. I don't think she is bored. I know the separation is a factor, it has to be hard for her. When we leave the room, she follows us around a lot. But, if our other dog is calm, she is too.

As far as crating her, I have yet to find one that is big enough to leave her in for several hours. Both of our bathrooms are small, so that would be cruel as well. We can't block her in the kitchen either because it is wide open to the living room with no small doorway to block. Unfortunately, we don't really have a way to corral her in a carpet-less room.

I will definitely check with the vet about possible infections. I hadn't thought of that.

Has anyone else had this problem with a new dog?

Doberluv

She needs more physical and mental stimulation. There are two (that I know of) causes for destructive behvaior. One is boredom...inadequate physical and mental exercise, lack of or inability to redirect and reinforce for a suitable activity. Or....anxiety. What you describe doesn't sound like full blown separation anxiety, where a dog rips the sheet rock off the walls, tears down the mini blinds, injures himself etc.....He may be a little stressed though.

Well, you better hope it's an infection because if you can't do any of those other things, you're going to have one stinky and chewed up house.

BTW...just a note: dogs don't mind being in a small area like a den for 4 or 5 hours if they've gotten sufficient exercise and they're tired. They often will sleep for most of that time. Interactive toys can be given if they're safe.

Hope things improve.

Members online

No members online now.