Pulling on leash

Agility23

lets see not yanking a dog in a halti with full force urm not putting a device such a prong collar on a dog... Not jumping in front of a car... Not voteing for george bush... Not jumping off a bridge

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
what is wrong with a collar..used humanly..i have never needed anything else and eventually i don't even need that..teach don't preach. love don't force listen in all the quiet places and you won't need anything at all.

Saje

Island dweller
Agility23 said:
lets see not yanking a dog in a halti with full force urm not putting a device such a prong collar on a dog... Not jumping in front of a car... Not voteing for george bush... Not jumping off a bridge
That's all common "sence" too is it. LOL :D I'm amused.

Agility23 said:
well most people come with common sence
Oh dear. :rolleyes:

The point at which an intelligent discussion becomes belligerent defense of flawed arguments is the point at which I bow out of said discussion. ;)

I notice that Vickih has had the good "sence" (heehee...couldn't resist!) to extract herself already. I hope she doesn't think ill of the group because of it.

Agility23 said:
Well George Bush is in office, so your common sense arguement doesn't work. It's traditional (and archaic) practice to pull on a leash or choker, so common sense says people are going to pull on halti's too if they haven't been trained properly.

Vickih said:
lol, I am reading with amusement :D

Should I have any more questions as we try this stuff, I know who to ask and who not to now ;)
lol, glad to hear it! Please keep us updated on your progress!

The dog in your signature reminds me so much of a wonderful dog I knew who I'd almost completely forgotten about. Her name was Riley and she was one of the single most intelligent dogs I've ever met. Thanks for the inadvertent triggering of happy memories!

CreatureTeacher said:
Renee, I may have to test out some more harnesses! :eek: Your dogs would seem to be the ultimate test for such things! Can I ask what brand you use?
Emma, I have no idea what brand any of them are, lol! I've got quite a collection of sizes over the years - as you can imagine. I always use the configuration that has a band in front of the the forelegs and over the neck, another behind the forelegs around the chest, and a strap that runs from the neck to the chest band on the back with the ring to attach a lead at the shoulders. Some of them have a strap that runs from the neck to chest on the front as well, kind of like a pulling harness. It seems like having control at the shoulders may be the key.

I found the figure 8 harnesses to be pretty useless. Even my cat, Gonzo, had one like I described.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Gus used to pull really badly, so we got him a harness and he is fab in it!
Plus he looks very smart in it!!

I have also tried the stop every time they pull method, where you stop and make the dog sit every time they pull wait for 5 seconds and start off again. For the first few days it seems like you aren't getting anywhere as it's stop, start, stop,start, but when they realise that they don't get where they want to go any quicker by pulling they soon give up!

Lola

I had the same problem with my dog. After advice from several other people I went and bought a "Gentle Leader" and it works wonders. It works better than anything I have ever tried. There is also a "Haltie" which is the same, just the straps are wider.

The gentle leader was created with the same leaders they use for horses. You can buy it at PetSmart - it is not cheap - it cost me $25, but it is the most wonderful thing - it works instantly. There is also a DVD that comes with it to explain exactly how it is to be worn.

I would advise it for everyone with a dog that pulls.

Members online