Making the tough decisions

kaylalynn

After recently introducing myself to the boards with news of an Aussie puppy on way, my boyfriend and I are now about to walk away from the breeder/litter we have a deposit with. I wanted to share the experience with people looking for a breeder for any breed, to hopefully learn from!

I placed a deposit on a litter from a breeder who seemed reputable, but something was just not right - can't explain it other than a strange gut feeling. It wasn't that obvious either, just a very dull anxiety..

I continued to research despite already having money down on a pup. And honestly, I didn't really find anything to be concerned about. Actually I didn't find anything at all. Suddenly, it was becoming obvious that I wasn't going to be able to get the inside scoop from the outside.

I began to talk to experienced people within the Aussie community, on boards like these and even then, no one identified any red flags but no one had any specific feedback on this breeder. So I went ahead and visited the litter. I played with them, held them, let them lick my face. One of these adorable puppies was going to be mine. I started envisioning which one would come home with me, I started to love it even. But something still wasn't right.

I continued to ask people, I even asked other breeders. Finally, I found real feedback and it wasn't good. So now, I'm about to walk away from the litter I feel like I know and give up a chunk of money.

Yet there is hope. After feeling like I made the right choice, to feeling confused and lost, I'm back at square one. However, this time I have some solid leads on amazing breeders I would trust to hand me a pup while blind folded. When speaking with these prospective breeders, I feel a sense of honesty and I am 100% comfortable and I know the deposit I am giving up, isn't "being thrown out" but being invested in something I can trust.

I have seen buyers be advised to walk away from their breeders on this and other forums, and the buyer hesitate, not listen, argue, feel down, reluctantly agree, etc. I wanted to post this to be a learning for those who find themselves in my situation - that as hard as it is, things will be better and that making this tough decision really is worth it. I am confident that there is a puppy out there for me that I won't have a funny feeling about or even a question.

I also wanted to reiterate the point everyone always makes. We know research beforehand is important but as I've learned, some breeds are harder to navigate than others, some communities are tighter lipped (for example, I feel very comfortable with Border Collie lines and pedigrees) and in these cases, you need to talk to those IN when you're still on the outside. These people have been invaluable to me and I am forever grateful.

If I'm honest, I want a puppy RIGHT.NOW. I feel a little crazy walking away from a puppy I could have in a month. BUT I know waiting will be worth it, even if it takes 2 months longer, 4 months longer or a year longer than we planned. So on wards I go. Puppy plans are still in motion, if a little delayed :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
That is a tough decision to make, and one that most people wouldn't be able to. Definitely for the best if you weren't comfortable, it is soooo easy to just get caught up in PUPPIES and not be able to walk away. The right breeder and puppy is out there :)

kaylalynn

I agree, not many can make that decision - I've seen it before. So I thought it would be a good idea to post my story to show what it looks like and maybe others will be more inclined to do the same when faced with the same problem.

Also, I realize now I accidentally put this in the wrong forum! I meant to put this in The Breeding Ground :) Sorry everyone!

Toller_08

I am glad you were able to make the right decision for you. It's not an easy one to make, but it's never a good idea to get a puppy if there is anything about it that doesn't feel quite right. Getting a puppy should be a fun experience and one to look forward to and feel good about.

I hope you are able to find just the right breeder and puppy for you soon! It's tough to wait for a pup, but it'll be worth the wait I am sure. :)

Cardiparty

I hope your deposit wasn't too much!!

I'm curious about what made you uncomfortable. Was information witheld or was it a situation of too much honesty?

I know many who just let it all hang out when it comes to puppy buyers, and sometimes it can be a turn off.

I like knowing all the dirt and mud when it comes to a litter.

Plus, dog people can sometimes be catty (lol)

But I agree with trusting your gut. Better wait until the stars align and everything is how you need it to be. God knows how many people I talked to on my journey to my first cardigan.

I was of the mindset that I would not settle. It took me a year to narrow things down, but when everything came down it 100% met my expectations.

kaylalynn

My deposit wasn't too much but I like to think that I'm putting that money towards a breeder I am fully comfortable with.

It was really a mixture of things that made me feel uncomfortable. I had done research in advance but when I decided on this breeder, I didn't stop doing my research/asking others on their opinions of them. Eventually, I had a weird gut feeling that I couldn't shake. I also like knowing the mud and dirt on a litter, I like the "100% honesty to the point of being too honest" route haha. Information wasn't necessarily withheld, but I never felt like I truly "knew" my breeder. I eventually found someone who was able to get feedback from a handful of people in the community who knew the breeder/their dogs, and they reported back to me with the comments. I really just didn't like what was said.

I am now talking to other breeders who were recommended to me and I already feel like I could be handed a pup with my eyes closed and feel 100% okay with it. Some of them don't even have litter plans but are helping me find a trustworthy breeder. I know I am on the right path now and when I do place a deposit on a litter this time around, it will be pure excitement and I won't need to keep digging.

I'm excited for what is ahead :)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
After recently introducing myself to the boards with news of an Aussie puppy on way, my boyfriend and I are now about to walk away from the breeder/litter we have a deposit with. I wanted to share the experience with people looking for a breeder for any breed, to hopefully learn from!

I placed a deposit on a litter from a breeder who seemed reputable, but something was just not right - can't explain it other than a strange gut feeling. It wasn't that obvious either, just a very dull anxiety..

I continued to research despite already having money down on a pup. And honestly, I didn't really find anything to be concerned about. Actually I didn't find anything at all. Suddenly, it was becoming obvious that I wasn't going to be able to get the inside scoop from the outside.

I began to talk to experienced people within the Aussie community, on boards like these and even then, no one identified any red flags but no one had any specific feedback on this breeder. So I went ahead and visited the litter. I played with them, held them, let them lick my face. One of these adorable puppies was going to be mine. I started envisioning which one would come home with me, I started to love it even. But something still wasn't right.

I continued to ask people, I even asked other breeders. Finally, I found real feedback and it wasn't good. So now, I'm about to walk away from the litter I feel like I know and give up a chunk of money.

Yet there is hope. After feeling like I made the right choice, to feeling confused and lost, I'm back at square one. However, this time I have some solid leads on amazing breeders I would trust to hand me a pup while blind folded. When speaking with these prospective breeders, I feel a sense of honesty and I am 100% comfortable and I know the deposit I am giving up, isn't "being thrown out" but being invested in something I can trust.

I have seen buyers be advised to walk away from their breeders on this and other forums, and the buyer hesitate, not listen, argue, feel down, reluctantly agree, etc. I wanted to post this to be a learning for those who find themselves in my situation - that as hard as it is, things will be better and that making this tough decision really is worth it. I am confident that there is a puppy out there for me that I won't have a funny feeling about or even a question.

I also wanted to reiterate the point everyone always makes. We know research beforehand is important but as I've learned, some breeds are harder to navigate than others, some communities are tighter lipped (for example, I feel very comfortable with Border Collie lines and pedigrees) and in these cases, you need to talk to those IN when you're still on the outside. These people have been invaluable to me and I am forever grateful.

If I'm honest, I want a puppy RIGHT.NOW. I feel a little crazy walking away from a puppy I could have in a month. BUT I know waiting will be worth it, even if it takes 2 months longer, 4 months longer or a year longer than we planned. So on wards I go. Puppy plans are still in motion, if a little delayed :)
I know the feeling, I want a puppy RIGHT NOW, too LOL. I have walked away from a breeder before when something "didn't feel right", luckily before I made a deposit though. But its better to lose a little money then end up with a dog you paid a pretty penny for that "wasn't what you expected".

If I am going to pay in the hundreds of dollars for a dog, I want to make sure I have the best chance of getting the best dog I can get. My advice in short is trust your instinct, if something doesn't feel right then it probably isn't.

Also there are a lot of breeders that look great "on paper" (they show & title their dogs, health test, etc ...) but if the breed is a herding or working breed & I don't see evidence that the breeder has proved their dogs "in the field" then I look elsewhere.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
It's always a tough decision but I think it all works out in the end :) I've been on a breeder's list for 2 years now, and I've had to turn her down twice now due to bad timing (not in the right household for litter #1, and then my mom was getting a puppy at the same time for #2). My mom was also on a litter list and ended up backing out, which was very heartbreaking but ultimately I think everything happens for a reason.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I didn't know that you could "pass" on litters from a breeder & still remain on the list lol, only two of my dogs Have been from (good) breeders & the timing Lways fit, all the others were rescues shelter dogs or just showed up.

I am on a waiting list now for a (hopefully) winter or spring litter, fingers crossed that it all works out because this breeder doesn't have litters very often.

Members online

No members online now.