I have a story

Saje

Island dweller
It's not dog-related so I'll put it here.

Last night, actually early this morning, my bf and I woke up to the sounds of the dogs and cats fighting and a weird hissing noise. Ok. I'll tell the truth. I slept through it and my bf got me up. :rolleyes:

So, anyway, all bleery-eyed and without my glasses I try and peer where he's pointing and all I see is a blurr of motion. "Look, Look," he says, grabbing my head and directing my line of vision. I think 'that's not going to help, I'm half blind, Cranking my head all over isn't going to improve my site.'

Anyway, I put my glasses on and see ...

no not a rat

A ferret! No, ferrets are not a part of my large, furry family. Although they apparently want to be.

He/she has dark eyes and a white body with a grey tip on her tail. She was quite small. I'll call her a her unless I learn differently.

My bf puts on some thick gloves and she actually isn't that afraid. She held her own with the cats/dogs and when he put his hand down she sniffed the leather. She tried to bite him though when he went to grab her. I got a box which she ran into and out of very quickly. They are fast little buggers!

And after a few laps around the room which included running across my bed she jumped into a drawer and went back into the walls.

We live in a trailer. It's less than ideal but it's a transition place until I get a little more out of debt. And since we've moved here I've heard a scampering sound. I always thought it was the squirrel that eats at the feeder outside of my window. But now I know it was this ferret. My cat Mini whose quite a little acrobatic hunter has always heard this noise and tracked the sound around the walls and frequently sits on the highest shelf where she can hear it best.

The odd thing is that black-footed ferrets are the only ferret native to this region and they are endangered. At least that's what I've discovered from spending the day on the net reading about ferrets. And that white ferrets with dark eyes are a colour quite commonly found.

I don't know if it's possiblet that this is a wild ferret or an escaped pet. There aren't a lot of homes around here and I don't know if I've seen ferrets at the pet store (I hate going there).

It's possible that previous tenants had a ferret but we've been hear since October and this ferret doesn't look fully grown. She's probably about 7 inches long (if that) and very skinny.

What do you think? How should I catch it? I don't want it running around the house because they are carnivorous and they terrorize bunnies (I have three).

Weird, eh?

What a wake-up call! :)

She's probably got herself a nice warm little nest in your walls & sneaks out at nite to try to find some kibble.

How about setting up one of those cage traps (set up where your dogs & cats can't get to it) that you can lure her into with some yummy food? Hopefully someone here has some experience with ferrets and can give you some good suggestions.

Good luck & keep us posted. :)

Saje

Island dweller
That's a good idea. I'll see if there's a wild-life centre around here that will lend me a trap. Hmmm,... now where to set it up...

How funny! I was friends with a couple years ago who had a big grey striped Tom and an albino ferret. The two got along just fine and the ferret was quite a social creature, but you had to be very careful if you had a glass of wine or anything with any alcohol in it. The ferret was a booze-hound. It would drink, then become a very belligerent drunken ferret and go pick a scrap with the cat.

Saje

Island dweller
Ha ha ha. I wouldn't mind having a ferret but I love my bunnies a lot and apparently bunnies are quite petrified of them. I don't want to cause them any stress.

I wish I knew where this ferret came from! It's bugging me a little.

Saje

Island dweller
I'm not sure that they are aware of her yet since she hasn't been in the house much as far as I know. They have a very strong scent, as you know, and I think the bunnies would react immediately. This was a very small ferret. Less than half the size of my bunnies. That's not to say it couldn't hurt them. It held it's own against all of my cats and dogs. Of course they are tame and probably were more curious and playful then deadly. :rolleyes:

If we kept her in the house though that smell would be there. On me and my bf, the cats...

I just don't think it's a good idea.

I brought home a hegehog once and put her cage near (not close) to my hamsters. My hamster just panicked! She was shaking and making all kinds of odd snuffy noises. They don't normally make a lot of noise. I pulled her out of her house and she was all sweaty. She was fine as soon as I moved the hedgehog away.

They're smelling the musk glands. Ferrets bred for domesticity here in the states typically have the musk glands removed before they are offered for sale.

Your tame critters were probably reacting to the feral nature of the hedgehog more than to any real perceived danger. That kind of thing is unsettling to domestic animals. I've often thought it was part of the reason othe dogs react so strangely to Bimmer. Even dogs that are larger tend to give him a wide berth and plenty of respect.

Saje

Island dweller
The same here in Canada. They have there musk glands removed. That's why I don't know if this was a pet or a baby of a pet...

Saje

Island dweller
Ok. So, it seems to be a weasel. Not a ferret. Either way I'm getting tired of having it in my walls.

I managed to take some pictures of it poking it's head out last night.

Any thoughts on how to humanely catch a weasel living in your walls? That's a question I never thought I'd have to ask!

I don't know if it's true there, but most of the animal controls and humane societies here have humane traps you can borrow (you have to leave a deposit). If you have the equivalent of Wildlife Control they might have something you can use as well.

You know, you might have a martin in the walls instead of a weasel: http://faculty.njcu.edu/fmoran/vol4martin.htm

You must have been posting when I was editing! lol After reading the info at the link I posted I thought it might even be a martin, especially considering that it seems to be very comfortable near humans.

I noticed that. I think - think - I remember reading or seeing on a nature program of some ilk that martens living in very cold climates turn white in the winter.

If you could be certain it wouldn't bother your bunnies it wouldn't be bad to have around - keeping small rodents away!

Saje

Island dweller
The thing is. That rabbits very easily die of fright or shock. I really love my bunnies. They have such funny individual characters. :) I'd hate it if something happened to them.

My cats are always aware of it and I do think that they would know if it went in the bunny room. They'd at least try and play with it. I don't want to have a weasel or bunny casualty on my hands!

And really, I can't be sure that nothing will happen to my buns.

It doesn't bother me though. I don't want it running across me in the night but other than that it's actually pretty cute

I didn't realize rabbits would die if fright! Talk about something that would make you feel guilty! You probably are better off if you can trap it and release it out in a barn or someplace safe. With Maverick and Mikey I seriously doubt the critter will venture very far out into the house. I don't see anything running over you while you sleep with Maverick snoring away on the bed. :D

Saje

Island dweller
LOL. that's quite true. Although when we were trying to catch him Maverick was hanging around and he was racing all over the place. Reminded me of my sis' chinchilla. He ran across our bed and peeked up between the pillow cases too. :( Looked like he'd done that before!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
That looks like a domestic to me....took care of a bunch of em at the animal warehouse....good thing he put on a glove because they bite hard and their teeth are so sharp! Like trying to hold on to water and just as quick too. My boss got this big idea that he was going to put them all in a display case (about 20) where u slid the door sideways to feed and clean...out they all poured...it was just insane..back to the horse tank where you put this big ol leather glove on to reach for the water and food bowl, came up with your arm looking like a stringer of fish, pulled them off one by one. never wanted one as a pet after that, I know they can be tamed but oh my gosh hard to believe after these guys. I feel sorry for the little one though, looks like an escapee or a dumped. Live trap? I am sure there is a ferret rescue out there. Good luck, looking forward to see how it all comes out.

Members online

No members online now.