Calming/Control exercises

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia is really giving me a run for the money some days. (She is going on 6 months now) She is very smart and VERY active. She knows quite a few commands, can walk on a leash well, is very well socialized and good meeting people and other dogs. The main problem I'm having now is even though she's so smart, she has no brain. I guess it's to be expected with teenagers.

Recently she's been getting if possible more go go go all the time and it's really hindering progress I'm making on training. She doesn't know how to stop so if I ask for a command, she gets frustrated. I say sit, she sits right away, a second later her butt has popped up and she starts spazzing for her cookie. She sits down, then up, then down, then smacks me with her paw a few times, then goes through her entire repertoire of tricks, then cries, then sits, then jumps around. Finally she gets exhausted and sits and stays sitting. It takes several minutes each time.

I'm working on a wait command- aka CALM DOOOOWN. It seems to be really just frustrating her. she won't get the cookie if she doesn't calm down but at the same time, she doesn't seem to be making much progress in the self control department. We've been working on this command for weeks but it doesn't seem to be helping at all.

She's just so enthusiastic about everything. She wants it NOW. No patience whatsoever. If we play fetch, she's the kind of dog that goes skidding way past the toy because she's that into it. She is getting a lot of exercise most days- 1-2 hours outside walking, a good fetch game or two (I spend my whole lunch break wearing her down) and some time with the flirt pole.

I need some ideas to get her to calm down though. Self control mainly. I know a lot of this will come with maturity though. (I can't wait for her to grow up a bit some days)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
have you read control unleashed by leslie mcdevitt?
No, I have not. Been meaning to pick it up for a while though.

Who needs Control Unleashed®?
Dogs that are uncomfortable or unable to work off lead around other dogs
Dog that are easily distracted and have difficulty concentrating
Dogs that are reactive or easily aroused
Dogs that are anxious or stressed and shut down
Dog that are unable to control their impulses when excited
Yep, those are definitely her. :eek:

elegy

overdogged
i think there'd be a ton of good stuff in there for her. mat work would be a big one. also off-switch games. but the whole mindset of the book/program is fantastic. it's been hugely helpful with stevie spazz puppy.

Gena

Have you tried any puppy zen with her? I've seen it several places, but this website explained it best to me. Level ONE Zen is way down towards the bottom of that page.

Or maybe that is what you are trying to achieve with the wait game and I'm not reading well ;)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
t-touch saved Victor's life as far as i am concerned. I had to teach him what calm was in the first place..then how to get there when he was not.

Members online

No members online now.