Non-shedding or longhaired breeds

Toller_08

Totally not helpful at all, but I just have to say that I get the shedding thing too. Dance and Journey shed like crazy, but their shedding is tolerable for me because it wipes off easily and floats to corners for easy pick up. The Doberman shedding OTOH, drives me nuts. Those little hairs get absolutely everywhere and into everything and don't like to come out easily. I like that they shed slightly less than the hairy two, but it's definitely more noticeable to me. If I could I'd have non-shedding dogs... but I'll take shedding over constant grooming any day, and the breeds I like don't come in non-shedding varieties anyway lol. But yeah, the hair everywhere does get old.

Eta: one day I should take a picture of the roof of my mom's car. Ripley and Winston's hairs from their heads are imbedded into the fabric never to come out no matter what.

Last edited:

JacksonsMom

Totally not helpful at all, but I just have to say that I get the shedding thing too. Dance and Journey shed like crazy, but their shedding is tolerable for me because it wipes off easily and floats to corners for easy pick up. The Doberman shedding OTOH, drives me nuts. Those little hairs get absolutely everywhere and into everything and don't like to come out easily. I like that they shed slightly less than the hairy two, but it's definitely more noticeable to me. If I could I'd have non-shedding dogs... but I'll take shedding over constant grooming any day, and the breeds I like don't come in non-shedding varieties anyway lol. But yeah, the hair everywhere does get old.
Lol, yes, the thin hairs are the WORSE... I used to have Rottie hair ALL over my car when I watched him. We drove to the park to walk every day and my interior is all black, so I didn't realize until one day I looked REAL close and these tiny black hairs were just... everywhere! lol. Same with a Boston Terrier mix I watched and grandma's Foxhound. My uncles Husky that I lived with used to have clumps of hair everywhere but at least we could pick it up easily and see it easily.

And yep the whole grooming thing kind of sucks with the non-shedding breeds. Like even though Jackson gets professionally groomed every 10 weeks or so (at $55 a pop + tip) during those 10 weeks he's sooo low maintenance. I never brush him, like at all, except occasionally his tail lol. I do try to bathe him every 10-15 days just out of preference. But in between professional groomings, he's super easy, why I keep him short.

So it's kind of just a ... picking the lesser of the two evils I guess... grooming vs. shedding. lol. If I'm going to get a shedding dog, it would definitely not be the short coat most likely.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Jackson's mom - yes I do get that lol, luckily mine have "that" kind of hair that just doesn't stick to anything or if it does its easy to get off.

But I do agree that short haired dog shedding is the worst! But I wouldn't go as far to say I am disgusted by it, I mean I got leather interior in my truck just because its easier to clean lol

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I remember always grumbling about Mitsu's hair and how much of a PITA it was to clean up and I always had the vacuum, but guess what I ended up with another short haired breed. *sigh* Good news is though I have not noticed his hair around yet, but I probably will once he grows three times the size and his hair changes. Oh goody.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Don't be scared LOL, luckily mine blow their coats only twice a year so the hair only gets really bad in the spring & fall.

I know no one likes shedding or having to sweep / vacuum more often, but for me, the pros of ACDs out weighed the cons (which for me the only con was the shedding LOL). But people talking about vacuuming 3-4x a day? that's a little far fetched, even with my three shedders I sweep daily & vacuum / mom once a week.

JacksonsMom

Don't be scared LOL, luckily mine blow their coats only twice a year so the hair only gets really bad in the spring & fall.

I know no one likes shedding or having to sweep / vacuum more often, but for me, the pros of ACDs out weighed the cons (which for me the only con was the shedding LOL). But people talking about vacuuming 3-4x a day? that's a little far fetched, even with my three shedders I sweep daily & vacuum / mom once a week.
I don't think I've actually ever pet an ACD but it does seem like they would have fairly easy maintenance hair.

I tell you the worst shedders I was ever around... 2 black Pugs. My moms friend had 2 and they were about a year old, she kept them mostly gated in the kitchen. She would sweep, mop and vacuum that morning, I came mid-afternoon maybe 1pm, the entire kitchen floor was COVERED in black hair. :yikes: I don't know if that's normal for pugs or not, but holy mother I had no idea such small dogs with short hair could shed so much.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
If I wanted large and non shedding I'd definitely go with a doodle of some sort (lab or golden probably). I've really liked the ones I've met and think they are very cute. I also think they'd be decently easy to find in rescue.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I don't think I've actually ever pet an ACD but it does seem like they would have fairly easy maintenance hair.

I tell you the worst shedders I was ever around... 2 black Pugs. My moms friend had 2 and they were about a year old, she kept them mostly gated in the kitchen. She would sweep, mop and vacuum that morning, I came mid-afternoon maybe 1pm, the entire kitchen floor was COVERED in black hair. :yikes: I don't know if that's normal for pugs or not, but holy mother I had no idea such small dogs with short hair could shed so much.
I had a Doberman, & she shed those little pin hairs ... it was horrible, they got everywhere & were impossible to get off LOL.

ACD's blow their coats twice a year, once in the fall & once in the spring. in between, believe it or not their normal shedding is more manageable then most short haired breeds.

My german shepherd mix however is another story ... OMG she sheds horribly all. the. time. It's like she is blowing her coat all the time. the real problem (if I had to name one) is the dirt they being in xD, we have a clay base sandy soil that sticks to everything.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I have shedding machines so I understand as well, haha.

Kim sheds like...well, like a plushy double-coated herder lol. If she's not shedding undercoat then she's shedding guard hairs, or vice versa. It's ridiculous. Golden tumbleweeds abound. We dedicate that "There's Dog Hair in Every Thing I do" song to her.

Web's pretty bad too. While in pictures he looks like he has a short harsh coat, he actually had a very plush double coat. It's almost like a rabbit...very cuddly. But when he sheds the incredible denseness becomes apparent as he creates a mountain of hair three times bigger than he is. The rest of the time it's not bad, though.

Mira doesn't have an undercoat which helps immensely. She turns the house black about 3 months after each heat cycle as she goes stark naked (like she is now), during which black hair can literally be pulled by the fistful, but otherwise she actually doesn't shed much. It's all or nothing.

And yet as others have said it's that short prickly hair that irritates me, and I'm glad none of mine have it. My SIL has a boxer mix which that hair type and I'm always itchy if I pet her because the hairs embed themselves into everything, including the clothes I am wearing.

I'll take annoying tumbleweeds any day.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I have shedding machines so I understand as well, haha.

Kim sheds like...well, like a plushy double-coated herder lol. If she's not shedding undercoat then she's shedding guard hairs, or vice versa. It's ridiculous. Golden tumbleweeds abound. We dedicate that "There's Dog Hair in Every Thing I do" song to her.

Web's pretty bad too. While in pictures he looks like he has a short harsh coat, he actually had a very plush double coat. It's almost like a rabbit...very cuddly. But when he sheds the incredible denseness becomes apparent as he creates a mountain of hair three times bigger than he is. The rest of the time it's not bad, though.

Mira doesn't have an undercoat which helps immensely. She turns the house black about 3 months after each heat cycle as she goes stark naked (like she is now), during which black hair can literally be pulled by the fistful, but otherwise she actually doesn't shed much. It's all or nothing.

And yet as others have said it's that short prickly hair that irritates me, and I'm glad none of mine have it. My SIL has a boxer mix which that hair type and I'm always itchy if I pet her because the hairs embed themselves into everything, including the clothes I am wearing.

I'll take annoying tumbleweeds any day.
Me too :) I just think its a normal part of having dogs LOL.

I miss the tumbleweeds from my husky mix and shepherd/chow mix I used to have...those were they days lol.

My danes shed A LOT! And yes, those short prickly hairs that weave into everything. I can't tell you how many times I have thought I am getting grey hair only to realize its dog hair lol.

The cats shedding is annoying too.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I understand why some people don't want shedding dogs. I work and wear black slacks and yeah there's white hair on them often. I have lots of lint rollers. It'd be nice not to have that problem anymore. But the breeds I like shed

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I understand why some people don't want shedding dogs. I work and wear black slacks and yeah there's white hair on them often. I have lots of lint rollers. It'd be nice not to have that problem anymore. But the breeds I like shed
If I just had Kim, I could wear khakis and be fine.

If I just had Mira, I could wear black slacks (my preference anyway) and be fine.

Webster is just difficult no matter what :p

The combination of all three is problematic, haha. The only downside to my diverse household.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Ugh all mine are doing the fall blowing of the coat "changing of the guard" as far as coats go, and I have 3 shedders so needless to say I am sweeping up fur balls daily ... Both inside and on the deck outside lol.

Members online

No members online now.