Talk me down?

Katem

I know this might be a terrible place to come to be talked out of a puppy, but...well I need council. We recently had a young bully breed puppy brought back to the shelter less than 24 hours after being adopted. The reason? It was growling at the adopter. She acts like a typical puppy. Yes, she throws some tantrums and acts like a little landshark, but she's just being a normal, mouthy puppy.

Still, she's gotten a bit of a reputation for being a 'bad dog.' I made the admittedly poor decision to take the puppy home overnight. She was just too **** cute. And I have a soft spot for the dogs that wrongly get labeled 'bad.'

So. Pig is in love. Bear thought this new creature was the most fascinating thing ever...then she bit his penis. He likes her a bit less now. However, Pig did the same thing when she was younger and he decided she wasn't all bad.

My sister fell in love when I texted her a picture while I was still at work. When I came home with the puppy, she gasped and declared that I was not going to be bringing it back to the shelter tomorrow. My brother seemed far less enthused. He's not a dog person, he's a cat person. And his cats hate the current dogs. He did give in that it was "pretty cute."

I own my home, so there're no worries about renting with three dogs/a bully breed. I would be able to crate and rotate if it came to that when she matured, however I would prefer not to have to. I can financially afford a third dog and have the time to devote to another puppy.

Still, I was not planning on adding a third dog at this time. Pig is just starting her agility training and only just turned one at the beginning of this month. Also, I really wanted to get my next puppy from a breeder. I adore bully breeds, but I really wanted my next dog to be either a dobie, a mastiff or a herding breed. Yet, not one of my dogs have ever been planned and they've all ended up being exactly what I needed. I just don't want to keep this girl and end up regretting it.

Also, I am going away for a week at the end of April for my brother's wedding. I already have plans to board my current two, but I wouldn't want to board a 3 month old puppy. I asked a friend if they would be willing to dog-sit a hypothetical puppy for me at their own house for that week and they said yes. Still, I'm terribly conflicted on this. I know it's a bad idea and yet part of me thinks it's the right idea.

And because I know this thread would be useless without pictures:
These are from when she was hanging out with me at work

JessLough

Love My Mutt
How does the shelter handle "bad dogs"?

Really, it sounds like you are in a good situation to take in a third dog, but if you are going to regret her, that won't be fair to you OR her. Can your sister take her, possibly? (Does she live with you??) If she *does* live with you and she takes responsibility for this puppy... would you be able to take on a fourth further down the line? Would you want to?

Paige

Let it be
I'd probably keep her myself. I'd be all ITS FATE... But if you think you will regret her maybe she is not your third dog.

Katem

If she goes back to the shelter she just won't be adopted out to someone with young kids and the adopter must have previous dog experience, preferably with bully breeds or just 'harder' dogs.

My sister does live with me. We share the house with our brother. All three of us are adults (22-35). My sister and I semi share responsibility of the current dogs. Ie, if I'm not home she'll feed them and let them out. She comes to class with Pig and me, but just to watch. The dogs are mine though, even though she likes to call Pig "half hers."

Adding a third wouldn't necessarily prohibit me from getting a fourth. However it would push things back quite a bit. Which might not end up being a bad thing. My breeder puppy was supposed to be another competition dog and if I kept this bully, Pig (my current hopeful) would be even further in age from the next sport dog.

But that face. Ugh, she slays me. And she snores. It's terribly endearing.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Another thing, is if you are worried about training with the two young ones, since your sister likes to come to classes with you, maybe she could do the classes with the puppy? :)

She is frikkin adorable... LOL

Katem

Another thing, is if you are worried about training with the two young ones, since your sister likes to come to classes with you, maybe she could do the classes with the puppy? :)

She is frikkin adorable... LOL
I tried to get my sister to handle Pig once in her first puppy class...it didn't go so well. She likes to watch Pig work, but gets flustered when she's the one working her, especially in public. Still, training is one of my favourite parts of dog-ownership, so I wouldn't mind. lol

She's been an angel so far, she's tired from running around with Pig before. Still, it's been less than a year since I had to housebreak a puppy and the sleepless nights are still fresh in my memory...

Teal

...ice road...
Sometimes... our dogs pick us and we don't really have a say in it :)

Or maybe I'm just selfish and want you to keep her so we can keep seeing pictures! :p

elegy

overdogged
Gah, what an adorable little squish.

What kind of sport dog? Is it a sport that this pup could potentially play? A shelter pup brings *so many* wildcards, so I totally understand your dilemma. Not an easy decision at all!

Snark

Mutts to you
Well, I'm no help... I wasn't planning on getting Riley either but he's turning out pretty well. Put me in the she's-too-darned-cute-it's-karma-keep-her camp. :D

Katem

Gah, what an adorable little squish.

What kind of sport dog? Is it a sport that this pup could potentially play? A shelter pup brings *so many* wildcards, so I totally understand your dilemma. Not an easy decision at all!
If the next dog was my dobie or a herder, I was going to do agility and look into obedience. So basically the same as what I'm hoping to do with Pig.

The new puppy seems pretty fearless. She knocked over a few poles and umbrellas which fell to the floor with a crash and she didn't baulk at all. She was unfazed when I opened an umbrella near her and just seems like a pretty bold pup. She also showed a lot of interest in tugging and playing with some toys. Having Pig as my last puppy may be throwing me off a bit though. She seemed to never need sleep. This puppy played hard with Pig for a while this morning and has been sleeping for almost an hour now. She sleeps like she's dead to the world and she sleeps often. And she wheezes and snores, which is disgustingly adorable.

I know that I've only had her in the house for a few hours, but she's been a really easy pup so far. She made some ungodly noises last night when she first went into the crate to sleep. It soundly like someone was slaughtering her for around 15 minutes. And than she settled down and slept. Whined a bit at 4:00, so I took her outside and she peed right away. Back to the crate where she whimpered for a few seconds before going back to sleep. Woke up again around 8:00, peed again and had breakfast. She definitely wouldn't have any problems transitioning to raw. She was in the middle of eating her kibble when I fed Pig and Bear and she left her own food to try and steal from them. Had the cutest little "hey, your's looks so much better" look on her face.

Pig still thinks she's the best toy ever. Bear is kind of acting like the fun police and trying to body-block the two of them from playing. He's acting a little snarky, but seems to be getting over it.

I emailed my trainer to see what she thinks...but I also asked if the puppy would be able to be enrolled in the classes starting two weeks from now. I may just have lost my mind.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
I don't think you should keep her.

You should send her to me. :p

No seriously, if you have the resources and options... It sounds like you already made up your mind :) and she is unacceptably cute!

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
the big question I have is.....have you named her? For me, that's what seals the deal. When I wanted to get Baxter--my husband was away when I visited Baxter at the shelter. Husband came home--I said ."there's this dog I want to get....let's talk about it.... His response was--"what did you name him?" When I told him Baxter--he knew it was over-lol!

So--does puppy have a name?

Members online

No members online now.