I Don't Seem To Get It?

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
My thing is,,,,I only hear this arguement for pit bulls, no other DA breed. Which seems pretty bias.
Actually, as I read it, Filas came to mind... From my understanding of their temperament (I used to work with someone who had FOUR), they are definitely not an animal that has any business going to a dog park.

There are several other breeds I don't think belong in a dog park.

Juicy

I am REALLY hoping that someone that has been educated on APBTs longer than I have, comes to this thread and can shed some light on the theory of "bait dogs". Because I've read conflicting stories. The @sses that fight dogs now??? Sure, they might find it necessary to use bait dogs, but I do NOT believe that the dogmen of the ol' used bait dogs. I *think* that is a myth. Like I've said, I've read conflicting theories/beliefs/rules/actual events.

BSL exists because of the misconceptions (that is often ran with) of pit bulls being human aggressive. Sure, it's possible that when you add dog aggression to that mix, it just adds fuel to the BSL fire. BUT, with the condition this breed's rep is in today, knowledgeable, responsible owners will NOT bring their pit bulls to dog parks. I surely don't and NEVER considered it even before Ella became dog aggressive. I'm not going to risk OTHER PEOPLE'S ability to own the breed, nor am I going to risk my dog going from "Let's PLAY!" to "I'M GOING TO HURT YOU!" in 1-2 seconds (which is faster than I know I can react and prevent a situation.). The fact is, just as much as dog aggression is a genetic possibility with APBTs, it's just as much as a genetic possibility that a pit bull NOT be human aggressive because of their specific "bred for" breed traits.

MOST APBTs mature into dog tolerant dogs, IF they don't mature into dog aggressive dogs. There's a difference between dog tolerant dogs vs. dog social dogs vs. dog friendly dogs.
Here's a good link to it: Dog Tolerance Levels

The fact is, most mature APBTs do NOT going seeking the attention of other dogs. They may TOLERATE them, but most don't go seeking it. And that's because of their genetic make up. Sure, there "soft" dogs. But it's important to know, that is not the norm. It's most responsible for us pit bull owners NOT to put our dogs into situations where there is a higher chance for failure.

Thanks for the link. See I'm use to seeing dog social pit bulls at dog parks as well as dog tolerate ones, so I see where people who may have a dog tolerate dog can become a problem. I'm still a bit bias on not having dog social pits in dog parks, but I can see now why its an issue for the breed to be exposed to dog parks.

Juicy

Leaving the whole dog park thing out of it (as I neither agree with, nor attend them), the statements you have made above, are a gross generalization. Just because a breed CAN have a tendency to be DA in certain instances, does not mean they eventually, invariably WILL be. ANY breed CAN be DA. And the multitudes of people on this site with DA dogs of all breeds and sizes are an example of that. That's like saying that Great Danes are a "stupid" breed. You cannot generalize all members of a breed based on the actions of a percentage. I have owned Pitties (still do) and been around countless others - never was one DA. I'm not saying they can't be; I'm just saying to insinuate they're automatically more apt to be than any other dog, is unfair, and untrue. If it's bred from fighting lines, raised improperly, or lacks training, fine, maybe, but barring that . . .

Saying that Pit Bull owners "sugar-coat it, or gloss over the topic"? What topic would that be? That their dog, because some in the news or some with ****ty owners have, is more likely to hate on, "bully" or attack another dog? That's crap. Why should I walk around issuing a catchall public service announcement about DA Pit Bulls, when mine isn't one? Just so that I don't get accused of "sugar-coating" anything? Nope. Sorry. I'm not going to contribute to the stigma against my dog just to make uneducated, bigoted and media-led people feel better about it.

"Too many owners think their "pit bull" is just like any other dog." Pit Bull's ARE a dog. And should be seen as such; not automatically assumed to be thugs just because of their breed. A dog, is a dog. Like I said, barring poor breeding, mistreatment, or lack of training, I urge you to find me a Pit Bull (or any other dog) that doesn't act like, well, a DOG. Should we say Rotties are inherently DA, because they can be? Or that GSDs are more likely to attack a person, because for so many years they have assisted law inforcement, in having been trained to?

As for your theory of Pits not backing down from a fight, or whatever you were getting at? I own a Pit Bull who has been ATTACKED, not challenged, but ATTACKED, by multiple dogs over the years. More often than not, by smaller breeds in fact. Not once did he retaliate, snap, fight back, or attack. Not once did he abandon his TRAINED BOUNDARIES that prohibit aggression, and not once did he "all of a sudden" go from being a sweet dog, to a DA one.

ANY dog is capable of being DA, and until people stop focusing on breed as a determining factor, crap like BSL and breed-profiling will never stop.
I agree with you on this issue. Especially on the not backing down from a fight, I had no personal experience from it, but I know it can happen, and ''bait dogs'' was the best example I can come up with.

Juicy

I don't think any dogs are good dog park material. In most cases, there are too many dogs, not enough owners paying attention, and a general recipe for disaster
Not all ;) I go when when there's not so many dogs...my dogs alone can make up a dog park :p. I like it for its space and agility course, its bigger than my backyard...I don't have places like trails, ect to take my dogs. But even if we're not the only ones there, my dogs are dog social and like to interact with other dogs. Once I see someone come in with an ill-manner dog and is not paying attention to the dogs' behavior I leave. I had a dog that was dog-tolerate whom I took to dog parks, but she never left my sight or side and never once was there an issue with her and other dogs.

R

RedyreRottweilers

My thing is,,,,I only hear this arguement for pit bulls, no other DA breed. Which seems pretty bias.

It would suck though if any DA breeds aren't allowed in dog parks, because I'm a dog park person, and plan in the future to own a DA breed, but would it be such bad idea to bring it to the dog park as it would a pit bull? Its a mini bull terrier btw.
Apparently you don't read my posts.

You will never see my dogs at a dog park. I AVOID situations where I know there may be other dogs off leash that are not controlled by their owners.

My personal position is I do not frequent areas where I am certain there will be dogs off leash, of ANY breed, because there are too many variables out of my control.

darkchild16

We are Home.
Taking a APBT to a dog park or any dog that is not COMPLETELY dog social or knows the dogs there and they get along fine is a irresponsible choice. I have been learning about APBT since I can remember and have owned them since I was born and NEVER will we take our dogs to one. We do not allow people to bring dogs on our property unless they are close friends or family. The only offleash times for my dogs besides the house since we dont have a fenced in yard is when we are hunting. When we are hunting their complete focus is on the game they are after not the other dogs. And after a hunt they are too warn out to fight. One day I will get a picture of our APBT nap pile. But these dogs have been raised together from day one. If one of our puppy buyers even hinted at a dog park they would be turned down because to me that means they did NOT do their research. And one reason we say that is yes it may make our breed less desierble to people but its the truth. If they truly love and want to own the breed they should know this already. Ignoring this fact could lead to a dead dog and more BSL. ALL DA history breed dogs are NOT canidates for a dog park. Unless you and you alone are there it is not safe. I for one leave when someone bring a APBT in besides one lady that used to come when we had a tiny group together that all played rough and understood dog launguage. All but 3 were dog trainers and one was a SCH PP trainer from Germany. And everyone knows how much I love APBT and Im sorry Juicy but yes I think it would be irresponsible for you to take a Bull Terrier to a dog park and it doesnt matter what size.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Akita people will also tell you...NO DOG PARKS. Bad idea. Akitas have dog aggression IN THEIR STANDARD. They are lovely lovely dogs...but not for someone who thinks they can nuture their nature to something it's just genetically...not. Exceptions don't unmake the rule...whoever said that is spot on.

darkchild16

We are Home.
And for not showing it before.

Tytus is 4 years old, he was a submissive male because Booger was a very dominate female. Well up until 4 months ago he loved ALL dogs he was abnormal for his line normal they are at least DR. Well my dad took him out to eat at the restaurant and a Aussie female he had known forever came up on the deck and he was fine until she came in HIS space, he did not hurt her he just all the sudden without really ANY signs besides the incident was DR or DA and he was well past the maturing stage.

bubbatd

You just never know . When EliN was checking out a dog they wanted at the HS ....he attacked Hunter for no reason at all . All seemed fine and then ...bang ! The HS worker was stunned ! He had worked with him for over 3 weeks and he had showed no dog aggression .

perla123

Thanks for the link. See I'm use to seeing dog social pit bulls at dog parks as well as dog tolerate ones, so I see where people who may have a dog tolerate dog can become a problem. I'm still a bit bias on not having dog social pits in dog parks, but I can see now why its an issue for the breed to be exposed to dog parks.

That is why when I went to meet you at the dog park I kept my dogs on the leash. I know what my dogs are capable of, specially RB. And that why when I saw that he would get uncomfortable with the other dogs I would ask john to take him and walk with him out side the park. I know if I will go there and I let him off the leash it would be a total chaos. And is not his foult he use to play with the other dogs and run happy. Until one iresponsible owne that may have known that his dog was DA let his dog loose and he attack Rb. and after that it was never the same for RB and big dogs.

You saw how well my dogs did with yours. they were sniffing and kiana was trying to play with Valentino (even though he was too small for him:p) I know my dogs do very well with small dogs but not with big dogs so that’s one of the reasons why I don't bring them there, and I usually go to other parks were they can run, but they don't have to worry about other dogs.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
They are wonderful family dogs. But they were bred for dog fighting. It's still in their blood from way-back-when. And a fight can break out at any time - whether the pit bull starts it or not, pit bulls are blamed for almost all fights. That's just how it is.

Well, I'm going to be the minority in this thread and agree that pits or other bully breeds can do very well in a dog park and I have no problem with owners that bring them. Just like I have no problem with pits at stores where I know there will be other dogs.

I also think something is being forgotten, pit bull is a very general term and while yes there are APBT or am staffs, most pitbulls I see are mixes. I see almost as many lab mixes as I see pit mixes (and a lot of times it's lab/pit mixes at that). I think it's silly to assume that because a dog has a bully breed in it it will be DA or that you shouldn't trust it around other dogs in places such as a dog park.

If you know your dog and understand it's history for DA but feel it is fine with other dogs, then by all means bring it to the dog park. The pit bulls brought to my dog parks are some of the most well adjusted dogs that come there. And I believe that's because unlike the ignorant lab owner (just an example, nothing against labs or the people who own them they just happen to be a popular family breed and a lot of people that own them do no research) who brings their very rude, misbehaving lab that has no training to the dog park, all the pit owners that come there have done training, know their dog and would never bring one to a dog park unless they had no fear about them fighting. Because of the breeds reputation, strength and history they would never bring a dog that wasn't on it's best behavior to a dog park, or one they didn't have control over.

This is at the dog parks I frequent, it may be different for other people.

I also think that the argument that if a pit bull gets in a fight it, no matter if s/he started it they will be blamed is true to a point. But not exclusive to pit bulls.

A St. Bernard gets in a fight with a chi, the Bernard is going to be blamed, a Mastiff gets attacked by a pom. the Mastiff will get blamed. If a GSD gets attacked by a golden the GSD will get blamed. It's always going to be the bigger/less popular/more "dangerous" breed that the fault is put on and in a lot of cases I have no doubt that the dog that the blame is put on will somehow be morphed into a pit bull by the people and the media.

If everyone used the logic that if a pit bull gets in a fight them it will be blamed as reason for not going to a dog park them really no dog above 20 pounds is going to ever go to a dog park.

I have a pit mix, she's still young but she, Hannah, my friends golden/cocker mix, my friend and I go to the dog park a few times a week. She is a very submissive (not timid) dog as of right now. She was socialized from a very young age, being around tons of different dogs, people and kids and does wonderful with every dog she has ever come in contact with.

I watch her very carefully, pay attention to not only her body language but the other dogs around her because I know the breed. When snapped at and growled at by a very insecure nervous dog at the dog park she laid down and then ran back to me.

Now, I will continue to pay attention to her and watch her around other dogs, as I do for Hannah also. When she gets older and the closer she gets to maturity will be the real test. If she begins showing any signs of DA she will not be brought to the dog park, but until that time she is going to get to be around as many dogs as possible or all different kinds.

I carry around pepper spray in case of a fight and feel I have the ability to break of a fight if it comes down to it.

I also think assumptions are being made about dog parks. Not everyone has dog parks that are smallish fenced in fields. Mine are (as in multiple) forest preserves with lakes, trails, beaches and they are huge. It takes about two hours to go around the whole thing (of course, not walking really fast). Dogs very rarely get into large groups, people are always paying attention to their dogs and walking, not sitting and reading a book or talking to other people.

I would never go to a small fenced in dog park, mainly because I wouldn't trust the other dogs with Hannah in one, but I have never had a real problem at our dog parks. They are big enough to avoid other people and you go there to run, hike and play with your dogs. Them playing with other dogs is just a perk and typically only happens for a few minutes before everyone goes on their way.

So no, not every pit bull is dog park material and I believe many of them aren't. But I do not believe in broad generalizations for any breed. It depends on the person, their dog sense and ability to read body language, their dogs, their dog park and the dogs training.

I won't tell others that their pit's can go to a dog park, but neither am I going to make the decision for everyone with a pit bull that their dog doesn't belong at one.

elegy

overdogged
I also think that the argument that if a pit bull gets in a fight it, no matter if s/he started it they will be blamed is true to a point. But not exclusive to pit bulls.

A St. Bernard gets in a fight with a chi, the Bernard is going to be blamed, a Mastiff gets attacked by a pom. the Mastiff will get blamed. If a GSD gets attacked by a golden the GSD will get blamed. It's always going to be the bigger/less popular/more "dangerous" breed that the fault is put on and in a lot of cases I have no doubt that the dog that the blame is put on will somehow be morphed into a pit bull by the people and the media.

If everyone used the logic that if a pit bull gets in a fight them it will be blamed as reason for not going to a dog park them really no dog above 20 pounds is going to ever go to a dog park.
yes, but those dogs aren't being BANNED and KILLED left and right just for existing.

maple

Queen of the Jungle
Unfortunately, there is no benefit of doubt when it comes to pit bulls.
They are being unfairly persecuted - please see this thread to see why this sort of stuff shouldn't be, can't be taken lightly. It's scary and unreasonable, but its happening. Its already happened where I live.

I am not new to BSL, I have read, researched, and experienced it. I have defended and argued on behalf of the dogs persicuted till I was blue in the face. I am on a mailing list to be constantly updated on new BSL laws. No, BSL should never be taken lightly EVER. And I have never said/thought it should be taken lightly.

Hannah is a Mastiff/Rott/GSD mix, she has no pit bull in her. But she is muscular, deep chested, large head etc. She has been called a pit bull on many occasion by very ignorant people. If she was to go to a dog park and a fight broke out between her and another dog even if it wasn't on her end and all she did was defend herself she would not only be blamed but also most definitely be called a pit bull.

The argument is that pits shouldn't go to the dog park because IF a fight does happen they will be blamed and that will create more bad press for them and a possible dead dog is true. What I'm trying to say though is it doesn't have to be a pit bull, if it's a muscular, large headed dog that is in a fight most of the time the breed is twisted somehow to become a pit bull.

I've read countless times on this board and others people who say "someone told me that my (insert breed) was a pit bull and didn't believe me when I said s/he wasn't" the possibility of that happening is increased dramatically when a fight happens..
So then you start to say that any dog that could somehow be mistaken for a pit bull or turned into a pit bull shouldn't go to the dog park because it might fuel the pit bull hysteria if a fight happens. Slippery Slope

That lab awhile back in Ontario (I think) that was destroyed because the courts decided a dog that really looked nothing like a pit must be one because it bit a human. The French lady that had the first face transplant at first said it was a pit bull who bite her and in fact it was her lab. With the way the media hysteria is now the dog is a lot of times going to be changed into a pit bull, it's sad but true.

So what I'm trying to say is I very much think it's a faulty argument to say that a pit bull that gets into a fight at the dog park will bring bad press to the breed and so they should not go.

maple

Queen of the Jungle
So what I'm trying to say is I very much think it's a faulty argument to say that a pit bull that gets into a fight at the dog park will bring bad press to the breed and so they should not go.
I live in Ontario. You can't breed or import new pitbulls into Ontario, nor can you walk in public with a dog the 'resembles' a pit bull without a muzzle on (and obviously, a leash, but it seems to only matter if you have <gasp> a pitbull, otherwise, enforcement is nil). If you have a dog of any breed and your dog exhibits "menacing" behaviour (which is not defined in the bill) police have the power to enter your home without a warrant and simply take your dog. Your dog will then be destroyed or sold to a research facility. :yikes: It is a "guilty until proven innocent" mentality and is totally unjust. This Orwellian atmosphere means that taking chances, and putting one's dog in a position where things *can* get out of control is simply irresponsible.

I agree with you that BSL is complete B.S. I do not however think that it is a faulty argument to say that if there is a fight at a dog park, then it brings more bad press -remember, its a 'guilty until proven innocent' mentality, and around here, that means jail or euthanasia, and I wouldn't be willing to risk that. Ever.

It sounds like the park that you frequent is quite idyllic, but its not the norm, especially in many urban dog parks.

Oh, I never said that it won't happen and that it wouldn't be bad press if a pit were to get into a fight. I just said that no matter the breed of dog, if it's muscular and big headed and gets into a fight it will be called a pit bull and bad press will be spread. It doesn't matter a lot of times if it's a pit bull or just a strong looking dog. So should no one bring their dog to a dog park if it might somehow be made to look like a pit bull if a fight were to break out? Because either way there is a good chance bullies are going to made to look bad.

I believe that using the argument that it will create bad press is a silly one for not going to the dog park. Because no matter what, some dog that gets into a fight will, at the end of the day, be called a pit bull.

And yes, I absolutely love the dog parks around me and bringing any dog to a dog park should much depend on your specific dog park, whether you have a pit bull or any other breed. If my dog parks where those fenced in little fields I would NEVER go to one.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I drove past a dog park one day and there were three pit bulls all playing nicely with each other. It was one of those I wish I had a camera moments.

I think anyone who owns a pit bull and takes it to a dog park needs to be sure that the dog is adequately socialized and trained so that there is minimal risk and so that they have control over the dog should they need it. They need to understand dog language, so they can know when to intervene and when not to, and they need to keep an eye on what their dog is doing and saying as well as what is going on around him that may influence a behavioral change...Well, actually, I think anyone who takes a dog of any breed to a dog park needs to do all that, not just owners of pit bulls.

I do believe that some breeds are more likely to exhibit DA than others. Pit bulls are one of them, JRT's are another. That doesn't mean those dogs can't walk past another dog on the street. But they may not tolerate having fluffy come over and get in their space, and even if they tolerate it, that doesn't mean they enjoy it.

Juicy

I drove past a dog park one day and there were three pit bulls all playing nicely with each other. It was one of those I wish I had a camera moments.

I think anyone who owns a pit bull and takes it to a dog park needs to be sure that the dog is adequately socialized and trained so that there is minimal risk and so that they have control over the dog should they need it. They need to understand dog language, so they can know when to intervene and when not to, and they need to keep an eye on what their dog is doing and saying as well as what is going on around him that may influence a behavioral change...Well, actually, I think anyone who takes a dog of any breed to a dog park needs to do all that, not just owners of pit bulls.

I do believe that some breeds are more likely to exhibit DA than others. Pit bulls are one of them, JRT's are another. That doesn't mean those dogs can't walk past another dog on the street. But they may not tolerate having fluffy come over and get in their space, and even if they tolerate it, that doesn't mean they enjoy it.
:hail::hail:

Members online