Antidandruff Shampoo for dogs??

Wales

Hi, this is my first posting here. My dog, a black Labrador has a problem with her skin, which has gone flaky and very dry. We took her to the vet, who told us to try feeding her with Hills DD for 60 days and give her a bath with human anti dandruff shampoo, such as Head & Shoulders. I assume this is OK, as the vet has told us to do it, but I was just wondering of anyone else has any comments about using this sort of shampoo on dogs ?

Regards,

Pete.

nedim

I believe that shampoo should be safe for dogs. How old is your lab? What do you feed her? Poor food quality can result in an array of skin problems for dogs, but I'll let the experts take over. By the way, welcome to chazhound.

Wales

Thanks for the reply. She's 18months old, and was on IAMS Complete for Large Puppies, but recently we changed to Bakers Complete (which I think was the start of the porblem). As I say, the Vet has told us to put her on Hills DD (Duck & Rice) prescription diet for 60 days, then try putting her back onto IAMS.

Last edited:
Food has a lot to do with a dog's skin condition (providing they are healthy and have no skin irritation or allergies and the such) so a premium food will keep healthy, shiny coat and skin. Adding a bit of olive oil will also help improve the coat.

Wales said:
Thanks for the reply. She's 18months old, and was on IAMS Complete for Large Puppies, but recently we changed to Bakers Complete (which I think was the start of the porblem). As I say, the Vet has told us to put her on Hills DD (Duck & Rice) prescription diet for 60 days, then try putting her back onto IAMS.
Pete, please do some reading in the Food forum to get some ideas on better food for your pooch. The Science Diet and Iams really aren't good food at all!

And, if you'll add some Tea Tree Oil to your dog's shampoo it will help. Works on people too :D

Wales

Not sure why you say IAMS is a bad food ?? Surely it is one of the better ones in the pet shop. Can't see any others available that are better.

LorriF

Puppy Whipped!!!
We had a similar problem with Jake--he was constantly scratching, and had very dry skin. He's on Eagle Pack, so I don't think the food was his problem. I got some capsules through my SIL who is a vet--they are by Allerderm and are EFA-CAPS HP. I just squeeze the gel out of one on his supper every night, and the scratching is pretty much gone. His coat was nice before, but now it is beautiful! They are a bit pricey, though.

Good thought, Lorrie. And you can generally just buy the human supplements at a much better price than the veterinary grade - if you aren't lucky enough to have a family vet ;)

Wales

Well I shampooed her this afternoon using T/Gel Shampoo. She certainally smells a lot better now. Will have to wait and see if the food improves her coat, but my feeling is that it will.

Y

yuckaduck

LorriF said:
We had a similar problem with Jake--he was constantly scratching, and had very dry skin. He's on Eagle Pack, so I don't think the food was his problem. I got some capsules through my SIL who is a vet--they are by Allerderm and are EFA-CAPS HP. I just squeeze the gel out of one on his supper every night, and the scratching is pretty much gone. His coat was nice before, but now it is beautiful! They are a bit pricey, though.
I've seen a picture of Jake and he is gorgous. Ask Andrew to post a picture of him here we would love to see him.

LorriF

Puppy Whipped!!!
yuckaduck said:
I've seen a picture of Jake and he is gorgous. Ask Andrew to post a picture of him here we would love to see him.
I'm going to get him to add a pic of Jake with my name :) He is a cutie! Thanks Yuck.

Members online

No members online now.