Genetics people! I need an education - lemon GSP?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.

milos_mommy

Definitely doesn't resemble lab coloring to me...those dogs have a distinctly lemon coat (which is a color found commonly in beagles and hounds, I've heard of it in pointers but have never seen it).

Unfortunately I don't know enough about genetics to tell you how it occurs, but I'm pretty sure it happens in GSPs with no mixed breeding.

Eta: just checked the AKC standard, and no lemon is allowed in GSPs but is allowed in other pointers. So I don't know if this is a purebred with fault coloring or another type of pointer/mix

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I have no idea, that's why I'm asking lol

I'm just not sold... I mean. I know colours are thrown up now and then, but you tend to see article on it, websites on it, litters throwing them up etc.

I've NEVER seem it, and the only stuff I can find is people on dog forums arguing their dog is indeed a gsp.

I just did a quick cruise through a Gun Dog forum... apparently it can happen although it's rare. Some people are saying that means there must be Pointer in the line somewhere to introduce it and others are saying that it is carried in pure bred GSPs as well.

Not gonna really link because that always sends me into moderation, but

h t t p :// gundogforum . com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=32828

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I just did a quick cruise through a Gun Dog forum... apparently it can happen although it's rare. Some people are saying that means there must be Pointer in the line somewhere to introduce it and others are saying that it is carried in pure bred GSPs as well.

Not gonna really link because that always sends me into moderation, but

h t t p :// gundogforum . com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=32828
This is what I mean... I can only find people debating their dog is a 'rare' colour on Facebook and forums.

Colour me sceptic, but I guess I'd expect to see more on the subject if it was happening to breeders (responsible or not!!)?

You can find all sorts on labs, dals, etc etc. Variations in coat and colour.

You'd think there would be SOMETHING.

This is what I mean... I can only find people debating their dog is a 'rare' colour on Facebook and forums.

Colour me sceptic, but I guess I'd expect to see more on the subject if it was happening to breeders (responsible or not!!)?

You can find all sorts on labs, dals, etc etc. Variations in coat and colour.

You'd think there would be SOMETHING.
Ah, I dig it. I don't really have an answer, so carry on. :p

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Another pic...

(I have permission to share btw!). The owner has used a few different colours to describe it, from white to roan to cinnamon.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/922946_10201183079925481_657649053_n.jpg?dl=1

Actually looks roan.
Roan is a pattern not a color. It's just heavy ticking.

Lemon is ee red which is a recessive trait. I do not know much about gsps but I wouldn't be surprised if it was carried at all. It's common in other pointer breeds and it could stay hidden quite some time.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Through a quick look, multiple places say "any yellow colour is considered a major fault". It would seem as though if it wasn't possible, it wouldn't specify it?

Sorry, can't link on my phone.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Roan is a pattern not a color. It's just heavy ticking.

Lemon is ee red which is a recessive trait. I do not know much about gsps but I wouldn't be surprised if it was carried at all. It's common in other pointer breeds and it could stay hidden quite some time.
Ta :)

The guy who owns it has linked me the breeder... I didn't ask him to, I don't really want to get into a conversation about it with him :D

I was more curious than anything!!!

I haven't done genetics in over 10 years and its all gobbledegook to me these days :D

milos_mommy

I'm fairly certain throwbacks can happen in GSPs that come out lemon (I *think* throwback is the right word there), but it's fairly rare, and knowing how well people know their dog breeds, I'd guess a good part of the time, lemon "GSPs" ARE mixed with other types of pointers?

I'm almost positive it's not impossible for a purebred GSP to be lemon, though.

From the AKC standard:

Color
The coat may be of solid liver or a combination of liver and white such as liver and white ticked, liver patched and white ticked, or liver roan. A dog with any area of black, red, orange, lemon or tan, or a dog solid white will be disqualified.

Clear red is recessive. It will show up in lots of breeds. Much like long coats show up in GSDs, Malamute, Dalmatian, Rottweiler, Weimerainer, basically any short coated breed will throw long coats ocassionally. Its hard to breed out entirely and not really worth the effort. Recessive red is the same way. Yellow labs were culled for a long time before they were accepted. Yellow flat coats became Goldens, and still pop up in Flat Coats from time to time. It happens. No reason to suspect crossbreeding (the same argument can be made of silver labs, too, particularly since dilution genes exist in related breeds Cheeses and Newfs).

Except that silver labs came out of a single kennel that ALSO bred Weims, and silver labs were unheard of -- as in, did not exist -- until this one kennel started producing them. Or so I'm told by people far more knowledgeable about Labs than I am.

Members online

No members online now.