My dog don't want to eat dry food.

candy722

My dog don't want to eat dry food unless it's mixed with wet food. How do I make my dog to start eating dry food? I always have dry food out for him but he won't touch it unless I mix it with wet. He went 4 days without eating. He did eat 5-10 pellets of dry food but he won't eat until I mix it with wet food. Help?

Barb04

Super Moderator
My dogs will never eat dry food by itself. I feed 4 parts dry to 1 part wet plus a little meat I cook up (ground chicken, beef). Maybe you could get away with just adding a little wet to the dry and do it gradually. Is there a reason you don't want to add wet to the dry?

There are lots of good, nutritious things you can add to the dry food. A little yogurt (with active cultures) is really good for your dog's digestive tract. You can add some unsalted beef or chicken broth, a little meat (like Barb suggests); use your imagination if you'd rather not use the canned dog food.

It was difficult to get Bimmer to finish his food for awhile, and it's hard to get a little extra weight on him during the winter; he's so active that he just burns it off. But since I've got him on the Innova EVO - no problem, and woe be unto the large female Fila who thinks she's going to get any of his food now!

pitbulliest

You can add stuff like Renee mentioned, or you can just wet the dry food with some warm water for starters..until it gets a tad bit soggy..I do that for my Chi or he won't eat it if his life depended on it... that's the downfall to feeding canned food..they become picky...and to be honest with you, canned food is mostly water so its much better (if you have no choice) to mix some cooked meat or veggie patte in there than the canned stuff.

lunarturn

I always add water to the dry food. At the moment we found "Nutro Choice Premium" to be pretty helpful. Amy eats it with joy. But getting back to the topic - I always add water... she doesn't like it crunchy... :eek: :p

candy722

Oh the reason I don't like feeding TOki wet food because it's just so inconvenience to do it every morning. I don't want to feed him human food because his gonna get more spoiled and probably won't eat any dry food at all. I talked to a vet and he said that dogs will crave for fatty foods an that is why they will stop eating dry food. I don't give him too much wet food. I give him a tea spoon on wet and I try 1 hand grip of dry food.

candy722

Oh yeah he also used to eat anything that I feed him like carrots, apples, bananas and any other veggies. Now he won't even eat them. He will only eat meat only.

Members online