Dental Care -- Gels, Sprays, etc?

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
I am going to need to order some new tooth gel for the dogs soon and I thought I'd see what everyone is using?

They get bones which I know is a big help, lately they haven't had any bully sticks so I'm wondering if they were helping in more ways than buying me quiet time. :rofl1:

We've been using Petzlife gel on the harder to reach teeth (mainly for the boys) which has helped. I was giving some thought into trying one of the water additives that is supposed to help with keep the teeth nice. Has anyone tried this?

JacksonsMom

Most of the water additives I question, either because of iffy ingredients or even working at all. The only water additive I know of that is approved by the VOHC and has had test trials is HealthyMouth. http://www.healthymouth.com/

They're a bit pricey, for sure, but some of the other water additives are questionable at best. At least with this one you know it works. I have used the HealthyMouth gel with great luck; I just hate applying it (has to be applied with a q-tip and it's all green and gross looking) so I plan on buying the water additive next.

I also use CET toothpaste for Jackson, and it works very well, one of the best brands out there. Make sure any toothpastes are enzymatic so they continue working after brushing. CET does have a water additive but it contains Xylitol, so I haven't wanted to use it just in case, but I've read it's such a small amount, it probably won't harm anything. But yeah it's a lot cheaper than the HealthyMouth.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't know how much I buy into the water additives, I just have a hard time believing they make any substantial difference. I tried one once - now granted, it was for a short time and the cheapest brand at the store - but it didn't even make their breath smell nicer so I don't think it was touching the bacteria.

I just rely on brushing. I'm cheap lol and I rarely buy chews. I use Dr. F&S toothpaste: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=20505

And I follow up with their chlorhexidine based spray: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+59+507&pcatid=507

They spray's not even necessary, I just decided... meh why not :p

I used Petzlife gel and spray on Lucy's teeth before she had her dental. Worked really well for her tartar buildup but it's a bit much to use just for maintenance. I'm lucky if I remember to brush teeth even a couple times a week and Juno's mouth, at 4.5 years old, is still beautiful :p

MicksMom

I used OxyFresh Pet Oral Solution in one of Mick's water dishes for years with great results. People were always commenting on how good his teeth looked, including the vet. But it wasn't just the solution that kept his teeth like that- it was a combination of that, raw bones, dry food and hard biscuits.

Caleb gets Plaque Off in his food. Initially, when I looked at the price, I about fell over. It's $24 for the small bottle. But that bottle lasts 3 months, so it isn't as expensive as I thought. I'm just as happy with the results as I was with the OxyFresh, and I find the Plaque Off easier to use- just put a scoop in each meal. With the Oxy Fresh, I found it easier to keep a gallon of water in the fridge already mixed up.

Saeleofu

I alternate between CET and Petzlife for brushing teeth. But mostly, brushing their teeth with an electric toothbrush has worked wonders! Way better than anything else I've tried.

Members online

No members online now.