Airedale Gun Training

Hello, I would love an Airedale but I'm currently trying to convince my husband of their merits as a gun dog!

His ideal dog would be a Black Labrador, which he would train to the gun.

I know Airedales were originally hunting dogs, but is it still feasible to train one 'to the gun'?

Doberluv

In my opinion, your husband's idea of a Lab as a hunting dog, whether upland or water is so right on the money. They make very, very versatile and fine hunting, retrieving dogs, extremely trainable and willing, can tolerate the coldest waters that no other bird dog can. Excellent. And great family pets. I don't know much about Airedales. They're terriers. What kind of hunting were they bred for?

qwkslvr

Vizsla Mom
You may want to check out a Vizsla for hunting. They are great upland bird dogs. I have a seven month old male and my son has a six month old female. They are smart from the get go. They dont hardly shed and seem to be very clean dogs. I find that my male is a more loving dog than my sons. We have just recently rescue our dog from a terrible home, he was not socialized or was taught any manners. We have had him for a month now and he knows; sit, stay, down, fetch, drop and to potty OUTSIDE!!! I say that was pretty good. I had to get used to the short hair as I had a aus.shepherd for 13 years but recently lost him. Fuzzy puppies are my down fall, but this guy just suckered me in instantly, now short hair dogs are great! Maybe its that lap dog mentality that got me. He is sweet and smart.

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
Airedale's were bred to hunt fox, badger, weasel, and otter and later to hunt upland game they say they are a good breed for hunting but not as hardy as the sporting breeds but the one thing you do have to remember is that they are a terrier and terriers can be stubborn and hard to train ecspecially if you don't have alot of experience with the breed or training a hunting dog I have not been around Airedale's much but the ones I have been around tend to be nippy

Members online