Found a Silky Terrier..

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
My Aunt found a Silky Terrier wandering around their Loop on Friday/Saturday. By the time they found it the Vet was already closed and they couldn't head in there to get him checked for a microchip. So they kept him in their house for the weekend and waited until today to start the "search" for his owner(s).

Well, She asked me if I could take him by the Vets to see if he had a microchip. So I did that, but he didn't have one. So that left us nowhere.

We were planning on calling AC tomorrow, as well as the Radio station and going by the groomers. Except my Aunt just texted me and said that they found his "owners", she said she didn't really want him back at all. She did end up taking him, but very reluctantly (I wouldn't be surprised if he's loose tomorrow). Of course, what I'm going to type next might be why she doesn't "want" him.

He's very cute, but has some sort of issues going on. He about took off my (& the Vets) hand while we were checking the microchip... Was snapping and snarling SO bad. It took has like 10 minutes to just get a good enough reading and then he didn't even end up having it! lol

Then they brought him by the house so I could give them some Acana kibble that I don't use anymore and lend them Harleigh's leash. Well, he was growling and snapping at Harleigh so he might have some sort of DA going on (I'll admit that Harleigh was being a brat. She was jumping up on my cousin to see what he had in his arms, I put her in the crate after that).

Other than that, he's a spunky little guy. And very cute (this coming from a girl who isn't much into the small dog scene :lol-sign:)

However, my Aunt told the lady that my other Aunt might want him. Well she doesn't need him at all, IMHO.

1) I don't think she can deal with the issues he's got going on (& there are some) and 2) they are so not responsible. Their 6 month old Lab/mix just diet because they left her outside (in this FL heat) because she was "having fun" and they were gone from 5am-10pm, while they were gone she was hit by a car. She had also never had a Vet visit in her life, was not on heartgard/flea preventative/etc.

Plus and I know this seems kind of selfish, since the dog was displaying some DA towards Harleigh, I wouldn't be able to bring Harleigh around their house or to family events, etc.

So.. Now what? The owner doesn't want him, my Aunt doesn't need him (though she'll probably get him) and it'll be hard for us to find the right home. I thought about a rescue, but I have no clue if there are any near here that are open for him!

Here is a pic:

maybe this is more of a rant about irresponsible dog owners. I don't see how people can just dump their dogs because they "don't want them anymore". :rolleyes:

Brattina88

you could try shooting them an e-mail (or calling( to see if they have any room -- I wonder if you could foster for them if they are full? Do you think it is true DA or HA, or do you think it was more fear aggr? Some rescues won't take the risk because of liability, but it never hurts to ask!

He's sooo cute! He doesn't look like he has a mean bone in his body :p lol but I know looks can be deceiving ;)

maybe someone on chaz could take him ;) :p

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
I think I will send someone an email... If I can find a rescue. The one rescue I was thinking about is pretty full, they haven't even returned my email about another "homeless" dog I had found :rolleyes: Someone else I know that works in rescue said she can get him out. Lately I seem to have a "homeless dog" radar going on! :p

There should be some sort of Terrier rescue though, I would think anyways! ;)

I think the DA was more of a fear, than true DA. I mean, like I said Harleigh was being a brat (I think its because we've been having to take shorter walks because of the heat.. she's been so hyper :yikes:). After I put her in the crate, Mr. Terrier went over there and sniffed her crate (he growled a little) and then tried to pee on it :rolleyes: But was otherwise fine.

The HA... I'm not sure. It's hard to explain because he only acts aggressive when someone is holding him. For instance, when she was trying to check the microchip he went CRAZY.

I put him on the ground and he then decided to pee, so the other Vet Tech came to clean it up... He started wagging his tail (though he was growling??) and jumping up on her.

I picked him up again because he was peeing on everything and when she (same vet tech) went to pet him while I was holding him he started snapping at her and growling again. So, I'm not sure about that one? It's like he's only aggressive when someone is holding him. Idk!

He really is cute and he is SO funny and energetic. Just got some underlying issues I guess! :p

lizzybeth727

It's like he's only aggressive when someone is holding him. Idk!
Yeah, this is exactly what I was going to say, it's very common with small dogs because people hold them a lot. When the dog is being held, though, he feels trapped, like he can't get away and has completely lost any control he might have had over the situation. When a large dog is jumping at him, he can't communicate that he wants her to go away. When a vet tech is coming toward him to jab him with a needle, he can't do anything about it. It does make a lot of sense that small dogs would often have this problem.

The good news is, the fix is easy: don't pick him up. Leave him on the ground and treat him the same way you'd treat a 60-pound dog.

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Yeah, this is exactly what I was going to say, it's very common with small dogs because people hold them a lot. When the dog is being held, though, he feels trapped, like he can't get away and has completely lost any control he might have had over the situation. When a large dog is jumping at him, he can't communicate that he wants her to go away. When a vet tech is coming toward him to jab him with a needle, he can't do anything about it. It does make a lot of sense that small dogs would often have this problem.

The good news is, the fix is easy: don't pick him up. Leave him on the ground and treat him the same way you'd treat a 60-pound dog.
The Vet didn't have a needle, lol. It was a black scanner and I think he was just scared of the scanner because he was growling/snapping after we put him on the ground to try to scan him too.

That does sound like a simple solution, but seems how he know zero commands and was marking the Vets place like crazy I couldn't leave him on the ground...... I didn't know he would react that way :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to help him, but obviously he doesn't understand that :p

Maura

Don't pass judgment on the dog for a couple of weeks. He is having a traumatic time. He could come around and be a perfect gentleman. Of course, he could be a holy terror. Contact any silky rescue. Just to ask them about the breed and what problems a puppy mill bred silky will have. I'm not saying is is ill bred, but he might be and they often have problems that a well bred dog of the same breed does not. Look for things like: lower jaw does not meet properly with upper jaw, teeth missing, elbows sticking out/front feet turning in, roached back (curves up). A breed rescue can tell you more.

For now, have your aunt feed the dog one kibble at a time, making him do a sit first for each piece. If he knows any other tricks, use the kibble to reward that. She also should be keeping a few kibbles or tiny treats in her pocket to reward good behavior. She needs to take him outside on a leash for potty breaks and reward him when he goes outside.

She can also order my book, but I've given you a basic.

JacksonsMom

He is totally adorable. And you know I have a soft spot for Silky's and Yorkies. If you were closer, I wish I could meet him in person and find out his temperament, etc. I'm in MD. I'd be a little leary to add what may be a somewhat aggressive dog, due to me living with young kids and being around kids and other dogs all the time, otherwise I would take him! I don't know if I'd have the time to deal with that. But he's such a cutie!

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
I'm not passing judgement on him, just what I witnessed. I know he could be an amazing dog, just scared etc.

My Aunt no longer has the dog.. The owner DID take him back, just didn't want him. We have someone in mind that might could adopt him, but I have no clue if they are able to help him with the *possible* issues he has. It may have just been a fluke.. who knows. But better safe than sorry. We're going to give them a call later this evening. :)

Brittany, he is such a sweet and spunky little guy! He does have an issue with marking :eek: Which is part of the reason why I was holding him at the Vets office (he kept on peeing all over the place:eek:). Wish you were closer too, I'm sure you know more about them than me! lol

Maura

Having had marking males, a simple belly band could stop the marking. Besides, he may not mark in a house where there aren't a hundred dogs coming and going and leaving their scents.

milos_mommy

First off, why do you think he's a silky and not a yorkie?

Secondly, that dog has been recently groomed. I would call/stop by some of your local groomers and ask if they groomed the dog/know the dog.

Doberluv

I'm sure that defensive "aggression" could be counter-conditioned by doing things like feeding him while he's on someone's lap, gradually putting a hand on him, but not confining him, then confining him a little while feeding him. Feeding him extra special treats while picking him up, while holding an object that might be mildly spooky, doing things like running the object over him just a little, (just what he is okay with and increasing the pressure gradually) all associated with praise and good treats....broken down into very short minute sessions. He may have been smacked or something with hands and is distrustful of humans forcing him to be confined, doing scary things to him. Most little dogs think it's fine to be held if they haven't been mistreated (treated roughly, angrily, etc) while being held. He just needs his trust in people built up. And he needs to have his mind changed..that being picked up = good, not bad.

If he's DA, that can be a little more complicated and time consuming. But it may well have also been a defensive action on his part to make the other dog go away. The marking could also be dealt with, with loads of reinforcement for going outside and steady supervision inside. A belly band while inside would help too. Confidence building exercises, obedience training etc could also help him not feel a need to mark everything inside. He sounds like a generally insecure, confused dog who needs some consistency, a trustworthy, even keel, someone he can count on... kind of owner. Maybe if you find someone who wants him and is capable of dealing with these issues, those owners would be glad to give him up. It sounds like he's gotten to be too much for them.:(

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
First off, why do you think he's a silky and not a yorkie?

Secondly, that dog has been recently groomed. I would call/stop by some of your local groomers and ask if they groomed the dog/know the dog.
1) Because he looks just like a Silky Terrier. We thought it was a Yorkie at first, but he just doesn't look like one (to me anyways). We were right because the owner said he was indeed a Silky.

2) I was planning on doing that, but the night before we found his "owner(s)". She took him back for the moment, however, she obviously do not want him. So, we thought we had someone in mind that would adopt him (& help him), but we haven't heard back from them yet.

Doberluv- Thank you for your post! That helped a ton :) We have someone in mind that will help him (& they don't have any other dogs at the moment) and we are waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully it'll work out, if not then we're back to square one trying to find someone. I'll be sure to pass on the info!!

Members online

No members online now.