question

azcowgirl

hm. well we were thinking of breeding Tigre when hes old enough but before we do that we want to know what to look for in him so we can know he will be breeding material what can we look for?. and i never seen any brindle studs before..have any of u? anyone know any websites with brindle pit bulls as studs?

doggedouthouse

owned by our dogs
I have seen soom sites but there not very nice sites , the one i looked at ,they where braging about breeding game dogs ,so i would not get any advice from such breeders ..
I might be wrong but does the fact that he is brindle matter...I know that in staffords when they breed they just dont go on the markings or colour,they go on loads of things like /teeth /head size /body size /body shape/, and how good there peidigree is ...etc...And most good breeders will only breed to improve ther breed.. If i where you i would get a good book 1st b4 you start to do anything and chat to some really good breeders who know what they are doing ..:)

RD

Are you dead yet?
Tigre is a "newspaper puppy", apparently you just bought him on a whim after seeing an ad in the paper. Do you know ANYTHING about his parents? His pedigree? Do you even know enough about the Pit Bull breed to be able to breed towards its improvement?
What is so great about Tigre that will make people with quality bitches want to breed to him? There are hundreds of wonderful champions out there, with excellent temperaments, health and lovely lineage to boot, that are available at stud. What would make someone use Tigre, over one of those dogs?

I just don't see how you can consider doing something like this.. Especially when he is still just a BABY! For gee's sake, enjoy your puppy and leave breeding to the experts!

doggedouthouse

owned by our dogs
Rip's Girl said:
Do you know ANYTHING about his parents? His pedigree? Do you even know enough about the Pit Bull breed to be able to breed towards its improvement?
What is so great about Tigre that will make people with quality bitches want to breed to him? There are hundreds of wonderful champions out there, with excellent temperaments, health and lovely lineage to boot, that are available at stud. What would make someone use Tigre, over one of those dogs?

I just don't see how you can consider doing something like this.. Especially when he is still just a BABY! For gee's sake, enjoy your puppy and leave breeding to the experts!
Very well said :) (you wrote what i could not get out of my head)

Fran27

Well you could do all the expensive testing for eyes, hips etc, but it's just a waste of money when the dog isn't from champion pedigree, because it's 90% sure that the dog will have at least a few problems and won't be breeding quality. So I really wouldn't even consider breeding a dog unless you bought him from a respectable breeder that had the parents fully tested.

S

stirder

get tigre and rocky neutered. wether its intentional or not, it would be a huge mistake to breed either of them. just be happy having them both be excellent family pets.

Brindle Pits aren't uncommon. Just enjoy Tigre and concentrate on what a good companion he is. If you want to consider breeding sometime down the road, do your homework. Read, talk to GOOD, REPUTABLE breeders, and acquire a well bred dog and prepare to spend a lot of money on testing.

Adrienne

When I first got my female Pit Neva I knew nothing about the responsibility of dog breeding and I decided to breed her. She is a brindle with white pit and we bred her to a fawn male that our friend owned. Neva is ADBA registered but the male wasn't so no papers for our puppies. I also did not do any health testing or anything else that you should and it was pretty much a disaster. Placing the puppies was really hard because I did know that a lot of people interested in this breed are not having good intentions on what they will do with the puppies. I spent several days researching and creating a legal document that explained that if the dog was not appropriatley cared for that I could remove the pup from the home. It was extremely detailed about everything from cropping ears to spaying and neutering. These pups were my mistake and my responsibility. They were fun and cute but SOOOO MESSY and extremely time consuming. I did end up removing one pup because the owner was jogging him hard at a young age and I knew that would be bad to the pups health. Another of these pups was diagnosied with lymphoma, cancer of the lymphatic system. Her owners have spent thousands of dollars to give her a good quality of life for the short time she has remaining. This could be hereditary I am not sure because I don't know anything about the dad, if he is even still alive.
I would highly suggest that if you want puppies so bad you volunteer at a rescue organization and when they have a mama with a litter that needs to be fostered you take them and foster them. This will give you a great idea on how it is not all fun in games to breed and how unwanted puppies end up in rescue organizations all the time. There are too many good dogs dying already, after learning my lesson I will never add to that problem again and I will leave the breeding to the pro's. Just my two cents.

avenlee

I think if you have to ask questions regarding breeding in the first place, then you truly are not experienced enough to even consider it.

Adrienne

Renee750il said:
Adrienne, thank you for that first-hand experience. I know it was hard for you, and difficult to share. If you don't mind, I'd like to copy the post and sticky it.
Yep it was certainly something I am not proud of but I did manage to find all the pups good homes and am close to two of them so that is nice. You are more than welcome to sticky it, if it helps someone else make a desicion not to breed I am all for it.

doggedouthouse

owned by our dogs
what i have also found that some people dont know that by breeding there ***** that they run the risk of loseing her ,so like it as been said ,people who dont know what they are doing should leave it to the people that do !!!!!

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
I agree with everyone else if you have to ask questions than you shouldn't be doing it in the first place and not only that you obviously have not done your home work becaue I have seen alot of brindle dogs as a matter of fact growing up my parents had three brindle pitts why add to the overpopulation of dogs if someone really wants a pittbull that bad I can personally direct them to the local shelter where thare are several very nice pitt puppies they could coose from it just isn't worth it I suggest you visit the local shelter and find out how many pitts are there and then maybe you'll think twice about breeding your dog not only that the people who are often looking for a pittbull are not looking for a good reason if you oare thinking that you want to stud your dog out your responsibility don't stop at the breeding you need to have your dog tested for genetic problems and any viral problems and what if your dog don't settle the ***** then you have to either refund the money or spend more time and energy rebreeding being a breeder takes alot of time and money and unless you are a professional and have been raisning dogs for many years and done tons of research you are not prepared to be a breeder if you are interested in promoting the breed why don't you get involved in obedience or agility or flyball or some other kind of recreational sport your best bet would be to get your dogs neutered and get involved in your breed some other way

Members online

No members online now.