Groomer sentenced to 90 days for death of dog

Speaking of our bad dog grooming experiences thread....

Baltimore County groomer sentenced to 90 days for death of dog
Business owner who has had seizures and panic-disorder diagnosis says she 'snapped'

By Jennifer McMenamin

Sun reporter

November 20, 2007

Nancy Pine first began to worry when she realized that her poodle had been at the groomer for five hours - more than twice as long as Rajah's typical visits to be shampooed and clipped and coiffed.

That concern multiplied when, two hours after Pine called to check on her dog, the groomer's fiance knocked on her door and deposited Rajah on the floor of her Baldwin home.

"He couldn't even hold his head up. He was barely conscious," Pine recalled yesterday.

The poodle died about 10 hours later at the Falls Road Animal Hospital and an animal autopsy - called a necropsy - revealed that he had suffered acute liver injuries, broken ribs, and internal bleeding and might have been strangled, according to court records. Yesterday, the groomer, Celeste A. Rainone, was sentenced to 90 days in jail for animal cruelty and animal mutilation.

Rainone, 53, of Shrewsbury, Pa., is scheduled to go to trial next week in another case stemming from injuries sustained by a different dog.

"There must be something wrong in your life or in your head or with you that someone who for 53 years has loved animals" would cause a pet's death, Baltimore County District Judge Barbara R. Jung told the defendant.

The judge also ordered the woman to surrender her grooming license and to pay $2,371 in restitution to cover Pine's veterinary bills and the cost of the necropsy. "It can never, ever, ever compensate her for the loss of Rajah," Jung added.

Rainone is the owner of Grooming By Celeste, a small business in the Hydes area of Baltimore County. In court documents, she indicated that the grooming shop has been open about 11 years, bringing in $10,000 annually.

Although Rainone has repeatedly denied doing anything to injure Rajah, the 14-year-old apricot-colored miniature poodle that died in February, she tearfully apologized yesterday in court.

"I had no intention to hurt Rajah," she said, her voice barely audible through her sobs. "I've never had anything like that happen. I'm sorry that I snapped. I can't control it. It happens when I'm sleeping."

The comments were an apparent reference to the diagnosis of a psychiatrist who evaluated Rainone at the judge's request. Reading from the evaluation in court, defense attorney James Farmer said that his client had surgery in 2004 for a cerebral hemorrhage, has suffered occasional seizures since then and was also diagnosed with a panic disorder.

Farmer said that medical finding fit with the facts of the case and Rainone's assertion that the poodle bit her while she was attempting to groom him.

"She was overcome by it," the defense attorney told the judge. It was not, he added, a matter of Rainone "intentionally harming the dog" or being "mean" to him.

Farmer told the judge that his client has worked with animals nearly all her life, exercising race horses at Pimlico, Laurel and other Maryland tracks before taking a job with a Parkville veterinarian as a groomer and assistant.

He told the judge that Rainone is "still in business - but not by much," explaining that her arrest "has had a devastating effect throughout the community in whether people trust her with their pets."

Pine told the judge that if her poodle had bit the groomer, the "sensible, responsible" thing to do would have been for Rainone to call and ask her to come pick up her pet.

"You don't keep this animal there for five to six hours and beat the dog to death," said Pine, who works as a nurse at the Oak Crest Village retirement community. " ... She needs to be held responsible."

Jung sentenced Rainone to 90 days in the county detention center for animal cruelty and a three-year prison term, which she suspended, on the animal mutilation conviction. She also ordered that the defendant be placed on supervised probation for 18 months after her release.

Jung declined the defense attorney's requests to release Rainone on bail while she appeals the case or to delay the start of the woman's jail term by a week while her fiance undergoes surgery.

In the case scheduled for trial next week, Rainone is accused of injuring a 4-year-old Maltese named Chesney in June 2006. Darlene Andrzejewski, the pet's owner, told police that Chesney returned from the groomer limping and with urine, feces and blood in his fur, court records show.

The groomer told Andrzejewski that the Maltese had bitten her and "needed to be put down," according to the charging documents.
found here

SarahFish

Ono! That's so sad! Who does that? And 90 days is pathetic, I hate the animal cruelty sentences, they mean NOTHING!
And, for Duncan's benefit, we all know that not all groomers are like this and we're not all going to jump on the "hate grooming train".

Dekka

Just try me..
If she is as sick she seems, she needs help-not jail time. She should not be left alone with animals, or small children.

That is so tragic.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
How about 90 days in a Psych facility?

Poor dog... how tragic for the woman and her beloved pet.

LionWolf

~ Naughty Minx ~
My my my,........................Defense attorney's sure are getting more and more creative!!!

noludoru

Bored Now.
If what her defense attorney said about her not being able to help the craziness, she needs to be somewhere they can keep her safe, not jail. She needs to be kept away from ALL animals and children.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
The comments were an apparent reference to the diagnosis of a psychiatrist who evaluated Rainone at the judge's request. Reading from the evaluation in court, defense attorney James Farmer said that his client had surgery in 2004 for a cerebral hemorrhage, has suffered occasional seizures since then and was also diagnosed with a panic disorder.
Then why the hell isn't she put on disability and NOT ALLOWED TO WORK... *sigh*.. what an idiot..

wishbone

She is so cruel since her previous record on 2006 :eek:

She should not work on grooming with her panic disorder.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
How about 90 days in jail, then required psychatric treatment and a bar working with animals or small children. Mental illness can cause people to do horrible things, but she was clearly aware of her own problems, and should have avoided such situations were she could be dangerous. That's some jail time for putting others at risk when you have a known problem. Other than that, she obviously needs help and since she can't keep herself away from animals, the law is going to have to do it for her.

Since I don't know enough of the details, I can't say much about her defense attorney . . .she may be authentically crazy and did not mean to do it . . . but then she should be punished for working with animals while knowing herself to be mentally unstable in a way that could cause her to hurt the animal.

From what I know of such issues in the law and criminology . . .which isn't much, because I don't do criminal law, but from what I know, despire popular belief, people do not simply snap. Oh, sure, they may in the sense of finally throwing a punch at someone, but acts of real, serious violence, like this, are always proceeded by plenty of warning signs. She didn't just smack that dog, she tortured it. So I doubt this is the first time her mental ilness resulted in aggressive behavior . . .the minute she, or her fiance, realized that was a possible outcome, she should have gotten out of the business . . .

mrose_s

BusterLove
you beat a person to death your going to jail for a long time.. you kill a completley innocent dog and you get 90 days? Thats not justice.

RIP Rajah. I hope your killer gets what theym deserve

Members online

No members online now.