Canon or Nikon

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I have a Nikon D40 that I've had for 7 years and it's still going! It hasn't even been babied at all - I've spent full days photographing horse shows in dusty indoor and outdoor arenas. It's had a lot of use and I must say I'm so impressed that's it's lasted me this long.

I have very little experience with DSLRs, but I went Nikon after playing with my friends' entry level Canons and not finding them overly user friendly. The D40 was much easier for me to get the hang of as a beginner photographer. I have been impressed enough with my D40 that I'm hoping to get a new Nikon next year, although I wouldn't necessarily pass up a Canon if I got a good deal and had an opportunity to try it first.

I've had Nikons since 2008, so only six years. I loved my D40. The only reason I sold it was because it wasn't good in low light at all and I had no choice but to buy autofocus lenses for it because the body didn't have an internal focus motor. But it was a fantastic camera and I still regret selling it. Then I bought a D90 and hated it. Mine was a lemon and had issues from the get go. I thought it was me, so I never returned it in time, but I wish I had. It didn't focus properly, was slower than it should have been, etc. Now I have a D7000 and really like it. I think I liked my D40 more still for some reason, but I can't complain about my D7000 and will not be upgrading from it unless something happens. I think I've had it for two years now and it still works the same way now as when I got it. No problems at all.
I'm hoping to make the upgrade to a D7000 this year (largely because of the lack of an internal focus motor) so I'm glad to hear that you like it!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm coming to CO so we can swap cameras for the day.
Whoohoo!

Zoom, I have a D50 I will happily sell you.
I do appreciate the offer, but I upgraded from the 50 for a few reasons. I think a lot of the missing is nostalgia--it was my first "big" purchase I made on my own and I shot with it for so many years. I develop weird attachments to inanimate objects, lol.

Equinox

I have a Nikon D40 that I've had for 7 years and it's still going! It hasn't even been babied at all - I've spent full days photographing horse shows in dusty indoor and outdoor arenas. It's had a lot of use and I must say I'm so impressed that's it's lasted me this long.

I have very little experience with DSLRs, but I went Nikon after playing with my friends' entry level Canons and not finding them overly user friendly. The D40 was much easier for me to get the hang of as a beginner photographer. I have been impressed enough with my D40 that I'm hoping to get a new Nikon next year, although I wouldn't necessarily pass up a Canon if I got a good deal and had an opportunity to try it first.

I'm hoping to make the upgrade to a D7000 this year (largely because of the lack of an internal focus motor) so I'm glad to hear that you like it!
I will have your D40, please.

Or, really, just keep it. Honestly it's a really nice entry level Nikon and even if it doesn't have a high MP count it's good for taking photos to share on Facebook or the forums. Having a back up camera can be really nice (I toted around 2 D90's at one point) and one of these days I'd like a D40 as a back up camera :)

Cool that you're getting a D7000 though!! We really will have to make a D7000 club here on Chaz, I think that's what most people are using here now :D

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I will have your D40, please.

Or, really, just keep it. Honestly it's a really nice entry level Nikon and even if it doesn't have a high MP count it's good for taking photos to share on Facebook or the forums. Having a back up camera can be really nice (I toted around 2 D90's at one point) and one of these days I'd like a D40 as a back up camera :)

Cool that you're getting a D7000 though!! We really will have to make a D7000 club here on Chaz, I think that's what most people are using here now :D
I'm so torn!! Half of me is like "do the smart thing, sell it and put the money towards the new camera!" but then the other half is like "well, what if I need a back up? Something to travel with?" not to mention I'm probably more attached to it than I think I am.

I'm still not totally decided on what I want next but am strongly leaning D7000. I think we'd definitely have to make a club :D I think I need to go handle and try out a bunch of comparable models!

RBark

Got Floof?
I have a Canon 6D Full Frame. I haven't found any issues with it. My only complaint is that there are less "external" controls than what I was used to with my Nikon D200 Crop Frame.

I much prefer external controls over a menu based system. However, you can fully modify the external buttons so that's not a big negative, I'd just have to put some effort into it.

The suckiest thing about a full frame camera is the lack of zoom compared to a crop frame. I used a 18-200 on my Nikon (24-300 equivalent on Full Frame). And right now I'm limited to 24-105. I'm really missing that zoom, haha. Eventually I'll buy a 70-200 2.8 lens, and a 1.4x extender. That'll help cover the 105-250 range.

In regards to MP, honestly I don't really see any point in having more than 10mp. With my Canon 10mp point and shoot, I was able to make a crisp picture that's 18" x 24". Unless you plan on making poster size photos, anything more isn't really a big deal.

I mean my 6D has 20 something MP. And? I never show anything more than 1024 pixels anyway :p

Equinox

I'm so torn!! Half of me is like "do the smart thing, sell it and put the money towards the new camera!" but then the other half is like "well, what if I need a back up? Something to travel with?" not to mention I'm probably more attached to it than I think I am.

I'm still not totally decided on what I want next but am strongly leaning D7000. I think we'd definitely have to make a club :D I think I need to go handle and try out a bunch of comparable models!
Keep it. You can always sell it later, the price of a used D40 will stay the same if you wait a few months! Although for the money you could also buy a nice new lens, in addition to having some more money towards the D7000. Hm... apparently I'm bad with decisions, too LOL

It'll be a great idea to try out a couple of cameras first!! Maybe you'll end up wanting the D7100 :p It'll be fun if you get the D7000 though, we'll be able to swap tips and chat about cameras some more!

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
I shoot Canon because that's what I started with and I started with that because I didn't like the swivel screen on the Nikon equivalent, that is the truly the only reason I went Canon. Now that I have a couple high quality lenses I'll probably stay Canon so I can continue using them.

Members online

No members online now.