My Simon isnt well

again, this time we went away for 5 days, and put him in the kennel/vet. we always use. I come back to pick him up, and the vet said- He was lame on Sat, so we have him some pain meds, and he was licking his paws a lot. His skin was red between the toes, too. So after a whopper of a vet bill- i have him taking meds 2x a day- antibiotics and pain meds. Now he is throwing up every meal. Not good for any dog, especially a 170 lb saint bernard.
(btw, he lost weight it seems.)
He was fine when we brought him- but we recall a few other times he came home from there, not quite like he used to be.
I am kinda pissed about this- and more importantly worried about Simon. Any suggestions? thanks- aj

What kind of antibiotics is he on and are you giving them with food?

okay he is taking :
norocarp 100mg (carprofen) 1 & 1/2 tablets 2x a day with food.
Cephalexin 500 mg 2 tablets 2x a day with food.

He eats 2x a day- so both meds are given together. He is refusing breakfast this morning, too.
I just looked at his toes... he won't let me touch his left paw. but he seems to be able to walk fine on it. still, he looks a bit cumbersome in getting up.

looks like both of these meds cause an adverse reaction-vomiting. I'm calling the vet this morning.

thanks. I am going to the vet in 30 min with Simon. He was perfectly healthy when we dropped him off on Thursday. then they said he became lame on Sat. Doesn't that seem like it happened on their watch? Should I be charged for any visit, or meds? I think I need to confront the vet about this. Any suggestions on how to handle this with grace?
thank you
aj

We got to the vet's and it seems the meds might be the reason. But then she mentioned bloat. So I need to watch him for signs and call right away if he is doing poorly. He is still barfing- but off meds, and resting.
not a good day it seems.
thanks for the posts.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
If he's always "not himself" when he comes home, I think it's more that he just doesn't do well away.
Also, I know most places here, if something happens, you are responsible for vet fees. It's taking a risk leaving your dog anywhere else. The paperwork you sign before leaving says so too -- says you will pay up to ____ amount of money to help your pet, or to euthanize.

Regardless, I hope it's not bloat, and that he starts feeling better soon!

Members online