Anti-Breeder Attitudes?

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
More and more of my FB "friends" and pages I "like" are posting anti-breeding/anti-breeder posts. I have seen several different "friends" share the following pictures from an anti-breeder page.

I have never bought a dog from a breeder, but my next dog may very well be from a breeder. I have a feeling I am going to get a lot of flack from my rescue "friends." I may even lose some of these "friends." I disagree with this anti-breeder attitude, though, and here's why.

If a ban on breeding truly succeeded and there were no breeders, and people succeeded at having every dog spayed/neutered, about 10-15 years down the line we would have no more dogs and, as a dog lover, that would be a wolrd I would not want to live in. I truly believe that ethical/responsible/reputable breeders can have a place in this world along side rescuers/shelters. I know of some that do, but if this anti-breeder attitude continues, I fear for that relationship which makes me fear for the dogs. :(

Well, same old same old... simple answers and oversimplification are easier than thinking about the nuances of a complex issue.

Also one of my pet peeves is... it's not like no money changes hands for rescues. You're essentially buying a dog from a rescue.

JacksonsMom

I find it ridiculous.

GOOD reputable breeders are NOT the problem (you know the people who make you sign a contract stating that if you cannot have your dog anymore, they take them back)... their dogs aren't the ones over-crowding the shelters :rolleyes:

My next dog will 95% be from a breeder. I have very specific wants for my next dog, and I also just... want to. And it is kind of irritating, I am sure I will have people that don't understand because they all know me as the "dog person" so how could I NOT rescue?!?

But what is more annoying is the people who just... do not understand that 'breeder' is such a loose term, it doesn't fit all of them. Media, PETA and SPCA, etc, have all shoved down our throats that "rescue not breeder" and lump all breeders as bad. So when a normal non-dog person thinks breeder, they think they're all one in the same. Like my mom is dog-dumb, she knows nothing about dogs besides what I tell her, and when my cousin got a puppy... she exclaims to me "and she did the RIGHT thing... she rescued it from a farm in PA in amish country. They had all kinds of different breeds. Hers is a peek-a-poo. See, she didn't go to a pet store and get a dog from a puppy mill!" *slaps head* But she's not trying to be mean... she just truly doesn't understand at ALL. So she hears in her head: pet stores = bad. And that's that.

Or like the people I know who have gotten dogs from 'breeders' ... they've all been the 'oh my teacup Yorkie flies in tomorrow from Missouri!' kind of people. And they can't differentiate that from a reputable breeder.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I lost a "friend" when I bought Aeri but obviously she wasn't a friend if that's all it took, so yea, good riddance. This sort of anti-breeder sentiment just ticks me the heck off...

Kilter

Ignore, if they give you a lot of hassle, delete. I have a few on my list too but they don't say too much, may change when I have a litter, but their loss. It's not like I'm one of MANY on my friends list who have intact cats and free kitten giveaways.... I don't get on their cases too much (because they're too dumb to know what a spay is ) so I expect the anti breeder people to do the same.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
YOu know this is actually pretty accurate for me

when I look at my dogs I can definitely see the hundreds and thousands of dollars I've put into them before breeding. These creatures are black holes that money never comes back out of they just take and take and....
XD

Barbara!

Oh yeah. I used to foster for a rescue in my area. When I got Malyk (who is a purebred breeder dog), and considered for a short time showing him so I could breed him (possibly, if he proved worthy) they all condemned and stopped talking to me. I have found a lot of rescue folk have a hard time finding a middle ground with a lot of things. To them, there's no such thing as responsible breeding, or responsible tethering, or being responsible with an unaltered dog... It's just ridiculous.

Red.Apricot

I think the 'problem' with people who feel that way is that they very strongly feel that their position is the morally defensible one and that if you don't agree with them 100% you're helping perpetuate an evil. That sort of emotion isn't going to help open a meaningful dialogue between people who don't quite agree, y'know?

I've also met a couple people who are very involved with their local shelter, and say all breeders do XYZ, when those are just the breeders they've encountered through their shelter. When you try to point out that a good breeder is not going to dump half a litter of 6 month old puppies off because the bitch is pregnant again, it's almost like... they can't hear you, because your experience is so far removed from theirs that it's unbelievable.

I've had some nasty comments about buying Elsie. You just have to shrug it off.

Equinox

This is one of those times where I'm glad that 95% of my friends are not "dog people". And that those that are do not feel the need to sit on some self built moral high horse and have the ability and maturity to respect another's opinion.

when I look at my dogs I can definitely see the hundreds and thousands of dollars I've put into them before breeding. These creatures are black holes that money never comes back out of they just take and take and....
XD
:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

I love you, Erin.

thehoundgirl

People are totally weird. Responsible breeders have nothing to do with the overpopulation problem. Most keep their offspring or just give them to good friends. Plus they always have homes lined up for them before the dogs are even bred.
They aren't in it for the money. They care deeply about the dogs they breed and the dogs they produce. And they make d@mn sure they won't end up in a shelter. They take the dogs back if it doesn't work out for whatever reason.
It's BYBs who are the problem, not reptuable breeders!

Saeleofu

Indeed.

I have one rescue and one dog from a breeder. I'm not opposed to either, but so many rescues are hard to work with. Most of them would turn me down at this point because I have an intact male and my dogs aren't "current" on vaccines (Gavroche was due for his 3-year distemper this year, but I'm not doing it for at least two more years, and neither of my dogs will get kennel cough vaccines anymore). Gavroche was an independent rescue that I got through the clinic, so I didn't have to deal with a program.

My vet/boss, who does a TON of reproduction work, bought a pug (of all breeds) from a BYB. Why? Because every rescue he attempted to get a dog from turned him down. Funny how that works.

yoko

XD
I'm not a breeder, never will be a breeder, and have never had a dog from a breeder. But that's how I see Yoshi sometimes. She was $15 from the shelter but turned into a giant hole that I occasionally stand at the edge at and toss money into. XD

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I hate the mentality of hard core rescue people that if they admit that there is such a thing as a good, responsible breeder that they have somehow lost. It's moronic and aggravating.

One of my old coworkers was like that. Trying to talk to her about good, ethical breeders was like slamming your face against a brick wall. She just would. not. give. up.
I still talk to her, she's my friend, and I love her as a person, but it got to the point where I had to tell her that we just couldn't talk about the subject anymore because she wasn't willing to even entertain the idea that was such a thing as a responsible breeder and that people who bought from breeders weren't committing heinous acts, and I wasn't willing to badmouth every person who bought a breeder puppy!

Fran27

I'm mixed. Sorry. I have no problem with good breeders breeding to improve the breed. I'm not sure how I feel about good breeders who breed because they have people wanting puppies, when they have no intention of keeping/selling any of the puppies to breed. Not sure how often it happens though, I'm clueless about responsible breeders and their breeding practices.

But for the average person, breeders = backyard breeders, so in that case I would agree with the ads.

Pops2

Indeed.

I have one rescue and one dog from a breeder. I'm not opposed to either, but so many rescues are hard to work with. Most of them would turn me down at this point because I have an intact male and my dogs aren't "current" on vaccines (Gavroche was due for his 3-year distemper this year, but I'm not doing it for at least two more years, and neither of my dogs will get kennel cough vaccines anymore). Gavroche was an independent rescue that I got through the clinic, so I didn't have to deal with a program.

My vet/boss, who does a TON of reproduction work, bought a pug (of all breeds) from a BYB. Why? Because every rescue he attempted to get a dog from turned him down. Funny how that works.
the best way to respond to crap like in the OP is to relate stories like this. it opens dialogue w/ the ignorant but open minded that want to do the right thing. the "true believers" will never convert, but at least you can reach those on the side lines.

Flyinsbt

XD
Yep.

I get into it with those people occasionally, when I'm bored and feeling feisty. None have ever adequately explained how I'm making money off my dogs when I've never sold one. And I'd have to sell an awful lot of them to make back the money I've put into the dogs. (I would sell a puppy, if I ever had one to sell, mine just prefer to keep the numbers down. And I'm not going to sell my puppy. Or the one I promised to a friend.)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I have never bought a dog from a breeder, but my next dog may very well be from a breeder. I have a feeling I am going to get a lot of flack from my rescue "friends." I may even lose some of these "friends."
I did. Lose some sort of casual friends over getting a purebred dog and from Not Rescue. Figured I didn't need that sort of person in my life anyway ;)

Well, same old same old... simple answers and oversimplification are easier than thinking about the nuances of a complex issue.

Also one of my pet peeves is... it's not like no money changes hands for rescues. You're essentially buying a dog from a rescue.
^this

XD
:p Oh how the truth hurts...and that is the truth...

Members online