When you train your dog, do you train on a>>>>

Doberluv

It depends. With agility, there's a lot of running and hard work and I think its healthier for my Dobe to not have a full stomach. When he was young and beginning, I would make a conscious effort to make sure his tummy wasn't full so he'd be more attentive and the treats became a higher value motivator. Once he got into the "groove," it really didn't matter anymore. He enjoys training and being a participant. The treats are used still, depending on what we're doing and they do increase in value if he's a tad hungry... if it's between meals, which normally training "sessions" are just because it happens that we train in the afternoon usually.

BostonBanker

1) Does a dog work better on a empty stomach or a full stomach?
Either/or. Like a lot of people already said, if I'm going to a class, she doesn't get dinner. Not because she'd turn down treats if she was full, but because she gets so many treats at agility. Meg's with me all day at work, and I keep treats in my pockets, so we do little bits of training throughout the day. She's just a focused in the morning after breakfast as she is later in the day.

2) How do you get your dog to focus when training?
Meg is already extremely focused on me. When I first got her, and was worried about her wandering away (she's off leash at the farm all day), I would reward her pretty much any time she "checked in" with me. I also frequently reward eye contact whenever there are distractions about. Now, the hard part is getting her to go away from me! Rear crosses are our big challenge of the moment.

Jynx

Since I also do agility, I'm with Doberluv, i think it's just healthier for them on an empty stomache, but I have fed a couple hours prior to a class .

Mine would work on a full stomache or empty stomache,,they are food hoggers..*vbg* I don't 'need' food to get their attention. I have always had herding breeds, and never have needed something other than myself to get their focus on me. I've been really lucky with the dogs I've had/have, always have had great relationships with each one and always been very owner focused.
diane

Doberluv

I think the empty stomach increases the value of tasty treats and as far as being used as a reward and a reinforcer, treats of high value are very appealing to most dogs and very useful in training. The use of treats in order to get their focus isn't my main intent....my main focus. (lol) Getting their focus is a lesson like any other lesson....a habit to develop. The treats serve as a "thank you" for a job well done. You did something for me. I do something nice for you and give you a tasty tid bit. It shouldn't be used as a bribe, but as a reinforcer when the dog watches, stays, heels nicely...whatever the skill. Reinforcers are what drives the behavior. In the early stages of training of any skill, heavy use of reinforcers (whatever they might be) are important to cause the dog to repeat the behavior I'm after...later phasing to a variable schedule.

Last edited:
All my dogs are different.

Caza could care less about food, so it doesnt matter if he's eaten or not. I use toys with him. His favorite tug only comes out when its training time. He naturally tuned out the world and focused on me, made life easy on me, :D .

Neeko will work for food whether he is starving or as full as a pig. But he still has some moments where he could care less about me. I have to work on his focus under heavy distractions, he's much more content socializing with the public. He thinks he's a celebrity, :p .

Hondo used to be a food hound. Didnt matter if he ate or not, he always focused on the food. But when he was about 4 months old I had to "starve' him for that day to train him. ANd now he doesnt care for food, and has became more toy motivated. I started focus work with him since he was 7 weeks old. Now, he is always looking at me or for me. Just random walking he is constantly looking up at me, when I put him in a position he watches me for the next move. his only downfall is being around his brothers, but we are working on that, seeing that they will be in the OB ring together.

C

cindr

hey that is so cool that you know the differances in the dogs you own. Good for you.

The reason I chose not to feed my dogs during training is like stated before to prevent tortion. As well as I do not normally use food. I get the dog to work on what I have. I am always talking to the dog or at that getting her focus by my intense movments.

Like Chikera she has come a long way since I have seperated her from the other pups. Now she just wants to work work work and seems to focus on my every move. No food in sight. Good Pup:hail: :) :cool: :)

Members online