Dog's reaction to a new apartment

lunarturn

My husband and I just moved to a new apartment and our puppy ( 8 months old Amy) seems to have troubles getting along with the place. She started to bark during the night. It's an unusual behavior, because she used to be very quiet one ( what I really loved about her). And now every sound from outside sets her off... I was hoping that there is someone out there who went through the same complications and have some solution for extensive barking in a situation like that. Waiting for your comments :)

Confused and Desperate! :confused:

vegas

I remember readin something in a dog mag a while back, the response from the vet was to for a couple of weeks use these pills that the vet would be able to provide, these pills would calm the dog down and after a week you reduce the dose and after a few weeks stop giving them.

Not sure if this is much help but it might be worth giving your vet a call and just asking about it.

we just recently moved from PA to RI datyn has taken the move well (rotty) but sabre (akita) has not, he has now started everytime we leave poops in our daughters room no matter if he has been out and pooped already, he still does it..we contacted the vet and they stated that he is protesting the move, in time he will settle down...so now when we go out we have them in the kitchen..

my dogs have started barking more also, not sure what that is about, and datyn scared the living daylights out of me lastnight with a very aggressive growl, and then he got up and started walking around growling, he only does this when he sees someone...someone that should not be there..you know? i got my husband up and he went and looked around..nothing...they both bark for no reason :confused:

i hope you get the answer you are looking for, im not sure if i helped at all, but im in kindathe same boat as you...

It's going to take them awhile to settle in and decide their new digs are "safe." It's an inherent characteristic of "watchdogs" that they don't usually like change. They want everything to stay the same and anything out of place or different takes awhile for them to accept.

You should see Kharma if Charley parks one of the tractors in a different place, lol!

It might help for the time being of you leave Amy in one room with a night light when it's time for bed. She can get used to that room being the same all the time. That should help get her acclimated to the new place more quickly. Once she's used to that room it shouldn't take too long for her to accept the other rooms.

You might also make a point out of getting down on the floor and playing with your dogs in each room of your new place.

Maybe Emma will have some sterling and right-to-the-point advice for you. :)

Oh dear. No pressure, right Renee? ;)

Actually I do have some thoughts. It's very true that dogs need to get acclimated to a new home. But in the meantime they can pick up some really awful habits (like barking, shudder) that will long outlast their discomfort. You can do several things to help ease the transition, but the BIG one is to give the dog some familiar sensory input that makes the place seem more like home.

Believe it or not, it can help if you arrange the furniture in the new place in the same manner it was arranged in the old place. We spent almost a month using only half our new HUGE living room because the dogs were so used to bumping the coffee table when they hopped up on the couch! So there's idea #1.

Next, see what you can do about changing the smell. My delicate Dobie wrinkled her nose every time we stayed over at my mother's house, and she never slept well there. Try cooking some dinners that you had frequently in your old place. They don't have to have a powerful smell (to a dog, all smells are powerful!). Just a familiar one. This will also help cover up the smells left by previous homeowners, tenants, paint, new carpet, etc. You yourself can go easy on the deodorant, perfume, aftershave, lotion, and all that stuff that we humans use to make ourselves smell like anything other than what we are. Do some lounging about on the floor with your dog to get some familiar scent on the carpet. Go easy on harsh-smelling cleaning supplies for a few weeks. Make it smell like regular-old-stinky-home.

You can look into getting double-paned storm windows to help keep some of the noise out if you're in a noisier spot than before. At night, you can put on your favorite CD or movie, so she can hear something other than all those strange noises outside. Make it something she's heard before and associates with you.

Amy's at a pretty impressionable age, so you need to deal with this before the barking becomes a habit. One of the best things you can do is take her for walks around your neighborhood 2 or 3 times a day, so she can start to understand where all the sounds are coming from and so she can feel more comfortable with her new surroundings. Show her that this new place is just as fun as the old place, and that there are not, in fact, evil monsters just outside the front door.

As for the barking, you need to ignore it. I can hear the groans from here! :) But the best, best, best, best, best thing you can do is ignore her. You don't want to reinforce that behavior, and even yelling at her will reinforce it. Don't get up and turn on the light, either. Just lie there. When she stops and stays quiet for 5 minutes or so, quietly get up and go to her and give her a good petting and tell her what a good dog she is for being quiet.

Members online