am i insane?

elegy

overdogged
my current total infatuation with flyball makes me want to teach mushroom to play. he's seven. he's not ball-obsessed. he's got some dog-dog issues (though so does steve).

i've been working off and on with teaching him to fetch a ball. he now does. mostly. he does pretty well with restrained retrieves of a stopped (or "dead") ball. he's explosively fast going out for it, but then he tends to wag his whole self so thoroughly on the way back that he's slow. he'd never be a spectacular flyball dog, or even a very fast one, but he'd be a funny one.

mostly i want to train him just to see if he can, and to see if i could teach him when he's such a different dog from steve.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Insane? Yuppers! But we knew that ages ago, and we love ya for it. :D

I say go for it! If it's what you enjoy, why not? As long as he's having fun too, which it sounds like he is. Set your goals in small increments until you see what develops.

Half the fun of training is just seeing what's possible. :p

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Uh, you can take my COMPLETE ball OBSESSED dog and train her to do fly ball.

But, uh, she has serious other dog issues.
Which is why I don't get involved in sports with her.:(

But she'd TOTALLY rock at flyball if she didn't have spaz attacks whenever she saw another dog.

Snark

Mutts to you
Of course you're insane... Aren't we all? :D I'd say go for it... A gal I know put her Shar Pei in flyball (NOT a breed you think of in the sport) and wound up with the first Shar Pei flyball champion.

Paige

Let it be
You'd probably both have a ton of fun and a few laughs at the very least. Go for it. I'll be his #1 fan.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I sat go for it. Millie's 8 and I'm considering agility or the like. As long as you both are having fun it sounds like a good idea to me. :)

MPP

petperson
"I've always been crazy,
But it's kept me from goin' insane!"

Gotta love country music. Always comes up with the perfect quote!

elegy

overdogged
i'm pretty sure mushroom is part golden retriever. at least in the brain part of him.

i think i'll try it. i really don't know if i can team him a box turn. he's so... well... dumb. but who knows.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I just started a 10 year old basset on the way to her CD, and she's taking a course in tracking... my plott will be 7 in september and just started agility.. we're all crazy people, go for it, he might like it ;)

I agree go for it. I just started Blaze in Agility on his 6th bday last year. Come May first he will be 7, and we still activly take classes, and even joined a team and did one show already lol.

They are never to old to teach. if you both have fun and enjoy it, go for it.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Eh, enjoy it.

Sawyer is 6 next month and we'll be starting in rally here before too long, along with herding.

elegy

overdogged
If nothing else, it will be great for working on your training skills.
true that. he's about as smart as a box of rocks. :rolleyes:

we've been working on fetching a ball. it's gonna be a long long path to travel together.....

Members online

No members online now.