Life update, finally. (Advice and insight welcome.)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Not sure if I am one one of the unempathetic ones since I commented on knowing people personally who abused the system, but I can assure you that I am not. We went through a heck of a difficult situation with my dad this past year trying to get him government assistance while tapping out our own resouces to help him, so I have a first hand understanding of how this stuff goes. Life doesn't always go as planned, people have hard luck or make mistakes (or both), and I support assistance programs as a hand up as long as they are not abused...
That's also my view, it's unempathetic towards those who abuse the system, not those who grisly need the aid. I just think it sucks that a few bad apples spoilt the whole bushel for everyone :(

@barbara I'm sorry if I labeled you as a bad mother or someone who shouldn't have a child, but a child is a huge deal (not saying you don't realize this) even if they are planned. When they aren't increase that tenfold.

I recall the mental distress you were in those months ago & my concern was that they might surface again after the birth of the baby, because let's face it ... It ain't going to be easy, ESP with the strain of your home, financial & situations with your parents & ex hanging over you.

Barbara!

Bad update.

Was late to work this morning by about 15 minutes due to an uncooperative alarm. It's the second time I've been late (last time I was late by about 3 minutes). The store manager loves me. Has repeatedly mentioned his desire to promote me if I keep up the attitude and zeal I have for work. The district manager, on the other hand... She is not so nice. Very mean lady. I went in this morning to her barking at me about "points". "You only have a certain amount of points that you can rack up in the first few weeks of this job. You are given 4 points. You left a shift early on [insert date]... That's a point. You were late past our excuse time on [insert date]... That's two points. You were caught with your phone on your person at work on [insert date]... That's another point. You called in sick on [insert date], and even though you have a doctors note, you are required to call in 8 hours before your shift and you did not... That's 4 points. And here you are, late today, adding on another 2 points. I'm sorry ma'am, but we can't keep an employee such as yourself on our team and expect to run smoothly."

The store manager attempted to show her my shift reviews and even videos of me working productively, and she simply dismissed it all and kept barking "we have a system we work by here. We can't make excuses for everyone."

So I'm fired. Unemployed. At a job I loved and busted my ass at. I was going TOMORROW to apply for a great and affordable apartment I found... Now that's out the window until I find something else. I'm applying for McDonald's, screw it. I need something and holy hell this is the worst day ever. I just don't get it. D says no matter what he will take care of me and keep and I won't ever have to go back to Leesville and that we are in this together... But **** it I was going to be able to do it on my own. I wasn't going to be a burden, I was going to be a help. This sucks so bad.

milos_mommy

Unfortunately, you can't blame the manager for firing you for being late (however little the amount of time was) twice at a new-ish job. Even if it doesn't sound like it was your fault.

But, TBH, after you posted about how many hours you were working that job, what it entailed, you've already passed out at it once, and have had other medical concerns this pregnancy, I'm wondering if it's not for the best? I know you need to work and make money, and that you were excited about this job, but it didn't sound like it was the best option for you physically and health-wise.

I don't know what I'd do in your place, I am sorry you lost your job. I'm not even sure how you'd start to find another one this late in pregnancy. It's good that D is so supportive, but I guess I'd have hesitations about that too if I was in your place. If you DO have to go back to Leesville, don't get too discouraged, don't look at it as a permanent thing. Accept it may be where you have to be for the well-being of your son at this time, and be proud of yourself for getting this far and moving to Dallas, and know next time you're ready to leave, you'll have learned from the experience, things will be more stable, and you won't run into these setbacks.

You're working hard for yourself and your son, and sometimes it takes a while for things to come together. Stay positive, keep moving forward.

Barbara!

The tardies seemed to be the least of her worries. She was mostly raving about the "no call no show". I called in two hours early for my shift when I went to the emergency room. Apparently you have to give eight hours warning. She was nitpicking at everything she could, including pointing out a part in a shift review video where I stopped to get a drink of Gatorade. She asked me why I felt the need to get a drink while on clock and I explained it was to keep hydrated and keep my blood sugar up. She asked if I had a medical excuse for drinking anything besides water and I said no. She then said that I should have one to drink Gatorade while on clock. She was just... I don't know.

It was physically strenuous, but I was getting used to it. I needed and volunteered for those overtime hours. I needed a job like that. Not want... Need. I'm just so disappointed because I was so excited to sign a lease... Have my stuff together and hell, the manager had me thinking I was going to be promoted soon. Being fired didn't even seem like a remote possibility. Blind sided me.

I'm applying online for everything I can right now and going in the morning to do paper apps. I'll have a job again soon, even if it has to be fast food.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Have you gotten in with any temp agencies? I would look into some. Many of them will have clerical temp work, ranging from a few days to a few weeks. You would most likely be seated which would be better for you from a health standpoint, especially as time goes by. Some are even temp-to-hire so you could potentially find a permanent job through one. Some companies might be hesitant to hire a pregnant woman knowing they are looking at you being off work shortly, but a temp job obviously wouldn't have those concerns - and you could be funneled through several and gain a lot of experience quickly in the meantime. And many of them will probably pay you more than you would make in fast food.

Most of them you can even fill out apps online:
http://kellyservices.com/Global/Home/
http://www.expresspros.com/
http://www.manpower.us/en/Job-Seekers.htm

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I could see the whole being late part as grounds for firing ... But all that other stuff? I mean drinking Gatorade? That time you were I the hospital ??? WTF??? Is it even legal what this lady did??? I work at a racetrack & I have seen undocumented workers treated better then this bitch treated you, Barbara.

You are nicer then I am, I would have had a few choice parting words for her, **** it ... If I was gonna get fired (which I never have, I have either been laid off or left voluntarily for another better job) I would make it for a real reason.

Barbara!

Have you gotten in with any temp agencies? I would look into some. Many of them will have clerical temp work, ranging from a few days to a few weeks. You would most likely be seated which would be better for you from a health standpoint, especially as time goes by. Some are even temp-to-hire so you could potentially find a permanent job through one. Some companies might be hesitant to hire a pregnant woman knowing they are looking at you being off work shortly, but a temp job obviously wouldn't have those concerns - and you could be funneled through several and gain a lot of experience quickly in the meantime. And many of them will probably pay you more than you would make in fast food.

Most of them you can even fill out apps online:
http://kellyservices.com/Global/Home/
http://www.expresspros.com/
http://www.manpower.us/en/Job-Seekers.htm
How do these work? I just post my app and get contacted, or continue applying, or what? Never done anything like that before. Definitely willing to try it out.

Barbara!

I could see the whole being late part as grounds for firing ... But all that other stuff? I mean drinking Gatorade? That time you were I the hospital ??? WTF??? Is it even legal what this lady did??? I work at a racetrack & I have seen undocumented workers treated better then this bitch treated you, Barbara.

You are nicer then I am, I would have had a few choice parting words for her, **** it ... If I was gonna get fired (which I never have, I have either been laid off or left voluntarily for another better job) I would make it for a real reason.
I borderline begged her for another chance. Explained my situation and she didn't seem to care, really.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
How do these work? I just post my app and get contacted, or continue applying, or what? Never done anything like that before. Definitely willing to try it out.
It's been a while since I've done one, but I think at least one of them you fill out your application with the service, then you can either apply that app to jobs that are listed or fill out additional application info. A rep should also get in contact with you and they will probably have you come in and talk to them. If you're applying for clerical jobs, some of them have tests they give (like typing tests) so they can basically rank you within what people are looking for. I think it's Kelly Services but the others might be the same, they have Clerical I, II, and III and depending on your skill set (WPM, accuracy, et cetera) you would fall into one of those, and that's how they would match you up to what an employer is looking for. They also do all kinds of jobs so you might find something non-clerical as well... I was actually offered a job doing graphic design through a temp agency, so all kinds of stuff is out there.
I would just create accounts with them tonight and fill out their apps, it will probably tell you if somebody will get in touch with you and when/how (I've had e-mail contact with a rep before rather than phone.)

Romy

Taxiderpy

Yeah, what she didn't wouldn't be legal here in WA. I wonder if she wasn't trying to get rid of you because you're pregnant, since somebody else was responsible for hiring you. It might be worth pursuing, except that you really don't need the added stress right now.

Since you have a social worker now though, you could ask them about it. They might know who to file a complaint with and then those people would investigate it. That might give you some closure anyway, and maybe they'll find something in your favor at the end of their investigation.

Grab

The gatorade thing wouldn't hold up here, but the lateness could. Most jobs (here anyway) have a probationary period where people can be fired for pretty much anything. But someone late three times in a few week period at the beginning of their hiring history would probably be let go at my job.

Hell, they recently fired a new person for not catching on quickly when they were having a newish person (who still gets confused daily..) train them:rolleyes:

ETA that I am not saying it's right or wrong, or that some warning wouldn't have been nice

JessLough

Love My Mutt
The gatorade thing wouldn't hold up here, but the lateness could. Most jobs (here anyway) have a probationary period where people can be fired for pretty much anything. But someone late three times in a few week perI at the beginning of their hiring history would probably be let go at my job.

Hell, they recently fired a new person for not catching on quickly when they were having a newish person (who still gets confused daily..) train them:rolleyes:

ETA that I am not saying it's right or wrong, or that some warning wouldn't have been nice
Yep, at least here, most jobs have a probationary period, lasting anywhere from a week to 3 months, where they can be fired for pretty well anything.

People see it as usually you are working/trying your hardest when you first start.. It's not until you've been there a while you start to "slack". They probably see it as if you are late multiple times right off the bat, it's a sign of things to come.

So I can sort of see their side, even though it sucks. I mean, nothing pisses me off more when somebody shows up late and can't be bothered to have the respect to call and let you know they'll be late (not saying you didn't, though!)

Definitely agree with the agencies. Go through them :) the ones I know of here, they apply forthe jobs for you that they have, while you apply eelsewhere. That may not be the case for all, though.

Barbara!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, guys. I'll be doing job apps tonight and tomorrow.

Comic relief for the day: Josh's girlfriend is posting publicly about the babies she will have with Josh one day and their names and whatnot... When the first kid he isn't supporting isn't even here yet. Oh lawdy.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Yep, at least here, most jobs have a probationary period, lasting anywhere from a week to 3 months, where they can be fired for pretty well anything.

People see it as usually you are working/trying your hardest when you first start.. It's not until you've been there a while you start to "slack". They probably see it as if you are late multiple times right off the bat, it's a sign of things to come.

So I can sort of see their side, even though it sucks. I mean, nothing pisses me off more when somebody shows up late and can't be bothered to have the respect to call and let you know they'll be late (not saying you didn't, though!)

Definitely agree with the agencies. Go through them :) the ones I know of here, they apply forthe jobs for you that they have, while you apply eelsewhere. That may not be the case for all, though.
Oh yeah me too, here at the track, tardiness alone is grounds for imediate termination. No two weeks, nothing, just a "you no longer have a job" speech when you get there. I have seen it many times.

When I was first learning the ways of race horse husbandry, I made a lot of mistakes ... BUT I was NEVER EVER late & i am still here, so what does that say about the value of punctuality to employers? esp when you are hired to care for living creatures who cant take care of themselves.

Other guys with more experience came around after my first boss hired me & although he wasn't the best boss in the world (he was kind of an asshole) he kept me & in favor of hiring them simply because most of those guys had tendencies to be late.

if I was going to be late or had an emergency (like when I had an accident on my way to work one day & totaled my car) I ALWAYS called.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Can employers actually get away with not hiring someone, even if they are qualified because they are pregnant?
Not legally. They're not even allowed to ask if you're pregnant before you get hired. But there's nothing stopping someone from doing it and giving any number of legal excuses as to why they weren't hired. Just like people have always discriminated against other groups of people, and when that became illegal hid behind, "Well we found another candidate who was more qualified!" Which is where affirmative action comes from.

Barbara good luck on your interview! Day cares can be really fun to work at. :)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Barbara I don't know where in the Dallas area you are, but if you are in the back org of the race track in Grand Prairie they might be looking for folks to work the wagering registers where people place their bets, or in consession.

Barbara!

I'm northwest DFW, in Denton.

I am sooooo excited and nervous about my interview. I reeeeally hope I get it.

Members online

No members online now.