I feel Fat!

JoeLacy

When Jax came to me 8 weeks ago as a rescue he was not what I would call emaciated but everyone who saw him including all the vets felt he needed at least few more pounds.

Last night we all were piled in the bed doing our nightly bedtime time belly rubs and it dawned on me Jax has a nice thin layer of fat on his ribs just like a healthy dog should, Awesome!

He looks much better in the hindquarters now and has bright eyes and a shiny coat and really starting to come out of his shell and showing every sign of a very healthy, happy, BC puppy.

I'm not usually so excited about finding a layer of fat, but in this case it was very good news indeed. It's just another sign I think, Jax is responding well to his new forever home with Peyton and I.

What's interesting is that when Jax first arrived he didn't eat much. The Rescue told me he ate only a 1.5 cups a day. He did only eat that much at first, but now he eats 2-2.5 cups a day.

That lack of appetite could have been part of the settling in process. Jax was a little shy around his food bowl at first. In any case, he's doing much better at chow time now and it's starting to show up on him. Good news for sure.

Jax weighs 40 lbs now and is just about right I think for a 15 month old BC. He still has some growing to do as his feet are still pretty large in proportion to everything else but so far, he's starting to fill out and looking really good.

It could be all that live sheep I've been feeding him. I'm kidding!!!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THat's great news. I am glad he is settling in and thriving.

Members online