How many dogs is too many?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Depends WHY you have dogs.

Some people don't want a dog as a pet to bond with, but as a working tool - look at packs of foxhounds.

But on a personal level, dogs kept as PETs - well - I suppose it depends how many hours you have to give them in a day.

For me, right now, I'd love to have 2, and could provide for two mentally etc... but no can do.

I'd say that 3-4 dogs would be my limit. My cat limit is two. Though sometimes I think the ones I have are a little too much! Especially when all four animals want to be on my lap at the same time. :D

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
My real limit? How many dogs can I fit in my car in crates :) Until I get a bigger car, the limit is three, MAYBE four.
But the original post said that money was not an issue - so with unlimited money you could buy a BIGGER vehicle!

How many crates CAN you put in a bus-sized vehicle?

:D:D:D

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

krisykris

4 is my limit. That's how many I have now and I just cannot imagine having any more. I actually think 4 is a bit much, but I manage fine.

I just really rearrange my life for them and make all decisions based on how it affects the dogs :)

I think many years down the line when my dogs pass, I will never have 4 again. I'd be happy with two.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Depends WHY you have dogs.

Some people don't want a dog as a pet to bond with, but as a working tool - look at packs of foxhounds.

But on a personal level, dogs kept as PETs - well - I suppose it depends how many hours you have to give them in a day.

For me, right now, I'd love to have 2, and could provide for two mentally etc... but no can do.
Just a quick comment . . . I agree with you, but I don't like the phrase working tool . . . my father's beagles are a working pack, but they are not a 'tool' and there is a powerful bond between him and those hounds.

They adore him . . . he adores them . . . if it weren't for that bond, then it would be impossible to do what he does . . . take a group of 20 or more dogs, off leash, hunting in a strange place, every week, every year, and come back will all of them. Moreover, to direct and control them on a scent . . . that's a strong connection.

He loves his hounds. They may be a hobby, but they are not a 'tool'. And there is a very strong bond, it is just more of a bond with the 'pack' as an entity, than with each individual . . . though they all have names and get individual care. I don't think the hounds suffer for it . . . they need him, and they love him, but they don't suffer from a lack of the constant human contact that Sarama has.

So they are not pets, but they are not tools either.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
right now 3 is my tops...

however i like 5, 5 would be my "top" number...
i like odd numbers, id have 4 small dogs and 1 larger breed

Members online

No members online now.