I wanna clip Katya, can I?

Adrienne

Does anyone know of what an appropriate cut for a caucasian ovcharka would be? She sheds so much, even with daily half hour grooming sessions she still "blows" chuncks of her coat all over my house. My little guy Logan was absolutely covered in dog fur from playing on the floor. Most of the fur seems to come from her tummy and chest. Would it be ok to give her a little buzz cut in those areas? I would prefer to do it myself because I don't want to have to muzzle her for a groomer. Any help? Thanks!

Athe

I shave off my Newfoundland's belly and undercarraige. It's cooler for them in the summer, keeps them from picking up slugs etc. The best investment I can think of to have on hand for a double coated dog is a high velocity dryer. In the Spring I bath my Newf's and brush out as much as I can in the tub, then I blow the undercoat completely out with the high velocity. The secret is blow until the dog is 110% dry...the remander of the coat only comes out when its completely dry and its best to have shampooed the dog first as a clean coat blows out best. I do this in the spring and go all summer with nice clean Newf's free of undercoat... ;)
Here is the kind of dryer I purchased (and we use at the grooming shop). I have a double motor which gives me lots of power. ;)
http://www.dog.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=191711&Cat=

Saje

Island dweller
We used to use driers like that (but bigger) for the llamas that I worked with!

I have a sheltie and they blow their coats twice a year. The high velocity dryer is a must with a double coated dog, and may I add another tool that will help you get the job done it's an undercoat rake used in conjunction with the dryer. Good luck....

Ash47

Taco Dog
Summer is right. An undercoat rake and the HV dryers are two must haves double coated dogs. There will still be some shedding, but not near as much when you take care of it the right way.

I'm not familiar with the ovcharka breed. But you mention a "double coat" and that's a no-no to shave. Such as with Goldens, it is actually a "cooling system" for them in the hot weather. What I used to do with Eli is clip him with scissors to get rid of the very long feathers on his legs, belly, chest, tail and "panties". Then use an undercoat rake at least 2-3 times a week (going AGAINST the grain) to pull out the undercoat. Worked like a charm.

p.s. in the wintertime the fur on his feet and between his toes would get SO LONG and was a real pain in mud times. I would always trim his feet out cropped close (using scissors carefully). He would be so full of big coat for winter with these chopped up feet. He'd be like "Thank alot, Mamma! It looks like my feet got caught in a trap!" :rolleyes:

p.s.s. He was an inside dog, btw. Don't ever clip an outside dog in the winter if they spend a lot of time outdoors when it's cold.

Ash47

Taco Dog
Thanks Eli. Everything I wanted to say, but didn't want to get anyone arguing with me about it. Everything you said is perfectly correct! ;)

Pro47 said:
Thanks Eli. Everything I wanted to say, but didn't want to get anyone arguing with me about it. Everything you said is perfectly correct! ;)
Awwww... we don't want to argue. That's all water under the bridge :)

bubbatd

If a dog is out alot in the winter don't cut their foot hairs.....but a must in spring with rain and mud unless you like to wash floors !

Adrienne

Thanks everyone. I ended up clipping her pantiloons (as my mom calls them) a bit of the underbelly and her tail. She doesn't look pretty but it will work for now. At least she won't be picking up dirt, grass, leaves, etc. with her tail and pantiloons anymore. I will have to get the rake from my mom I have been using just a slicker? and it works pretty well but I can see how the rake would be more efficient.

Ash47

Taco Dog
Yes,
The slicker is just a basic brush. Also to do what it is intended for, slick the hair down. A rake is really the best tool for undercoat. HV dryers are a little much to buy. They cost a LOT but in the long run, it really pays off.

oriondw

user not active
Dont Do It.

edit:

Oh well read that you already did it...

At least you didnt shave her top...

Members online

No members online now.