flying with a dog

ella

Hallo everyone!
does anyone here has an experiance with flying (international) with a big dog (that can't go with you in the cabine..)?
our new family member - a bernese mountain puppy , will be joining our family withing 3 weeks. the problem is we would have to fly (a 4.5 hours flight and will be staying for 2 weeks..) at the end of the summer. we don't want to leave the puppy in a pension and we can't pospond the flight...

the other option would be to take her with us.. we already checked the procedure and there is no problems there (we are flying from Holland to Israel and all we need is an iternational vaccination certificate - and there is no quarantine.) cost is also not too high..

the questions is - is this advisable ? is it going to be traumatic for the dog? :confused:
i would appreciate your experience and opinion on the matter!
thanks,
ella

I really don't know. I've heard some horror stories about flying dogs in the storage bays, but don't know how true they are. Why don't you ask the airline for some information on how animal transport is handled. Will the flight be non-stop, or will you have to transfer? It would be awful to have your dog end up on the wrong plane, flying off to The Land of Lost Luggage! :eek:

ella said:
Hallo everyone!
does anyone here has an experiance with flying (international) with a big dog (that can't go with you in the cabine..)?
our new family member - a bernese mountain puppy , will be joining our family withing 3 weeks. the problem is we would have to fly (a 4.5 hours flight and will be staying for 2 weeks..) at the end of the summer. we don't want to leave the puppy in a pension and we can't pospond the flight...

the other option would be to take her with us.. we already checked the procedure and there is no problems there (we are flying from Holland to Israel and all we need is an iternational vaccination certificate - and there is no quarantine.) cost is also not too high..

the questions is - is this advisable ? is it going to be traumatic for the dog? :confused:
i would appreciate your experience and opinion on the matter!
thanks,
ella

Hi,

My puppies ( shih tzus ) came to me when they were 10 weeks old via air. They flew for 4 hours and they were fine.

Make sure you buy a crate that is approved by the airline. I'm sure you can place both water and food in it. Also you can shred some newspaper to absorb the waste.

Since your pup will be a bit older by the time you go on your trip, I would also suggest you post on the outside of crate the last time he was fed and pottied. Check with the airline you are flying, they should give you more information.

As for stress, I would think some dogs would feel the stress related to flying.

Good luck,

I've never flown with my girls and doubt I ever will. I've heard horror stories, too, about dogs dying or getting lost. I would fly if my dogs were smaller and could sit with me, but they're large, and I don't want them being treated as baggage rather than living, breathing creatures.

I have heard of people buying seats for their dogs, but they must be crated or contained and the airlines reserve the right to refuse to allow the dog to board if they think it might be a problem.

Personally, I hate flying, sitting on in cramped quarters, breathing canned air. The dogs give me the perfect excuse to drive anywhere I want to go. I'd much rather drive someplace than fly.

bogolove

I know the USDA imposes several restrictions for transporting dogs by airplane cargo. They must be in adequately sized and venilated kennels with clear markings and handles. They must be provided food and water, regardless of the length of flight, and the airline must feed and water adult dogs at least once every 24 hours. Young puppies must be fed and watered once every 12 hours. Puppies under 8 weeks old are prohibited from airlines.

In response to publicity surrounding the dangers of animals flying as cargo on commercial airlines, the U.S. Congress passed legislation requiring airlines to report any and all injuries, deaths or incidents that occur to animals when they are being transported by passenger airline.

I was reading all about this in my Dog Bible which has a big section on traveling with your dog, and flying with your dog. Before flying, talk to your airline about potential issues in transporting your pet. If you are uncomfortable with the airline's answers, you may wish to postpone a trip until another time of year or another mode of transportation. Some airlines will not fly animals when it is too hot or too cold, because there are many dangers involved in placing your animal in the cargo area. They are put at risk because of the possibility of very hot or cold temps, suffocation, being dropped, or their crates being damaged and allowing them to escape. For more tips on this visit www.aphis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/pettravle.html or the air transport association website at www.airlines.org

I got all this info from my Dog Bible which I have been finding extremely helpful.

Last edited:

Barb04

Super Moderator
Kona was flown to us in Connecticut from California at 4 1/2 months old. She had to change planes in Atlanta. The flight shook her up a bit, but thankfully everything went well. My experience was a good one but I know others may have other stories to tell.

bogolove

Barb- How did that work? Did you pay a fee for her to be flown, and was it very expensive? Do they have someone in charge of changing the animals planes or do the same cargo people do it? I just wondered how it works and who is looking out for the animals. Apparently someone is since they do it so much. Many people buy from breeders in other places and have their animals flown to them.

bubbatd

I sent a puppy from Indiana to Colorado and he was fine. It was a direct flight . I was a mess and so was the new owner. He didn't even mess his carrier.

oriondw

user not active
Renee750il said:
I have heard of people buying seats for their dogs, but they must be crated or contained and the airlines reserve the right to refuse to allow the dog to board if they think it might be a problem.

Personally, I hate flying, sitting on in cramped quarters, breathing canned air. The dogs give me the perfect excuse to drive anywhere I want to go. I'd much rather drive someplace than fly.

In a few years i will have to Fly to Russia from USA.

Choice is very hard, take my pup with me or leave him with good friends.

Im not sure what is best for me him, just know it will be very hard.

GSDFan05

With summer coming up airlines will have more restrictions due to temperature issues, you'll definitely want to check into that ahead of time.

We flew our cocker over the Atlantic when we moved to/from Germany, he had no problems whatsoever, BUT I have heard both good and bad experiences, (more good than bad, though) when it comes to flying dogs. Consider using Benadryl or a mild sedative for the flight to prevent anxiety attacks, you can ask your vet for the best kind/dosage.

Best of luck, let us know how things go for you.

ella

thank you all for your replies

as i worked at the airport a few years ago i still have some contacts there and they would probably allow me to take the dog with me till the gate.
and if not i can arrange for a friend to be with her in the cargo erea... so she won't get on the wrong plane.. (and it's a non stop flight).
i wish i could drive the distance -but it's not possible.

i would prefer to postpone the flight but if we don't go we'll get into BIG trouble with my family... so that's not an option either. :eek:

we could leave her in a pension - but i'd rather not (especially in such young age).

so... i just hope it'll be ok! thank you all for sharing your experience!
and i'll let you know what happens (even though it'll be in a couple of months)
:)
ella

ella

GSDFan05 said:
With summer coming up airlines will have more restrictions due to temperature issues, you'll definitely want to check into that ahead of time.

We flew our cocker over the Atlantic when we moved to/from Germany, he had no problems whatsoever, BUT I have heard both good and bad experiences, (more good than bad, though) when it comes to flying dogs. Consider using Benadryl or a mild sedative for the flight to prevent anxiety attacks, you can ask your vet for the best kind/dosage.

Best of luck, let us know how things go for you.
thanks- i'll ask the advise of my vet! good idea.

Members online

No members online now.