Midwest Meet - Chicago area: Saturday, August 24th

Lyzelle

I'm considering going. I've been dying for a roadtrip anyway. Memphis to Chicago is definitely a roadtrip.

Not sure I'll be able to do much else other than the dog park, though, since Zander is an escape artist and he'll have to be joined at the hip with me at all times. Even at the park he'll have to be on a long line.

Debating on if it's worth it, still. But definitely considering.

I'm considering going. I've been dying for a roadtrip anyway. Memphis to Chicago is definitely a roadtrip.

Not sure I'll be able to do much else other than the dog park, though, since Zander is an escape artist and he'll have to be joined at the hip with me at all times. Even at the park he'll have to be on a long line.

Debating on if it's worth it, still. But definitely considering.

Not to be a downer because I really do want everyone to come but this really isn't a park that will work well with a long line. The paths are all brush and narrow so it gets caught on everything and when PW tried to keep one on Siri it only lasted a few minutes because even on the widest mowed path there it was getting wrapped around us, the dogs, the plants.

I see one women pull it off that comes there and she holds the end of the line, it's not that long, the dog is a million years old, too fat to move and she stays away from others.

So you're more than welcome to come and even try it with the long line but I don't want you to come all this way, get there and be unable to walk around because of long line frustrations.

And you're of course invited to the BBQ and everything if you do come!

SaraB

So the best I can do is leaving the cities around 2pm (arrival in Chicago around 8-10pm ish?) so I want to know who will be around Sunday to have more dog park awesomeness :D

Cause if everyone is leaving Sunday morning, I don't know that I want to make the trip...
I won't be there until late on Saturday either.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Also wanted to say that probably won't be able to stay for dinner with Linds (depending on when that is). It's a three hour drive back home and my family and I are going to go to the zoo Sunday morning. I'd like to be back home and in my bed to get my beauty sleep. :p

ETA:

And, Cynder is fine off leash, but Abrams is still learning. Good, but not 100% reliable yet. I can't imagine he would wander away from a pack of dogs, but how "safe" is the park for off leash dogs? I don't want to be a paranoid mom and not let him have fun, but nor do I want to loose my dog. o_O lol

And, Cynder is fine off leash, but Abrams is still learning. Good, but not 100% reliable yet. I can't imagine he would wander away from a pack of dogs, but how "safe" is the park for off leash dogs? I don't want to be a paranoid mom and not let him have fun, but nor do I want to loose my dog. o_O lol
Let me put it this way, I've had a lot of paranoid dog owners there for the first time who said they would keep their dog on the leash the whole time. It typically comes off within minutes.

There's no fence but really gives the feeling of seclusion. It's bordered by a stream on one side but you can't even see it now with all the brush that's over your head (and even past the stream is more brush), the road is past more brush and a hill and the train tracks are past trees and raised high up.

I've been going to this park for over 10 years and can't name more than a couple dogs I've ever heard of actually LEAVING the park. Some have swam across the lake to meet other dogs on the other side or taken off and latched onto other groups but even that is rare.

Bring good food and reward a lot for coming back and checking in but I don't think you'll have any issue, especially with all the dogs and people that we'll have.

Also, EXCITED!!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I TOTALLY intended on keeping Siri on lead at the park. After about 5 minutes of her getting everyone wrapped up and Linds/k9krazee making fun of me :p it came off.

I would say the park is pretty safe, and I'm about as paranoid as they come!

Well good. I'd been waffling about whether to bring Pip (who is insanely reliable off leash) or Squash because I am paranoid, then decided to go ahead and bring Squash, then felt insecure about it. My angst is officially assuaged.

About that, anyway. I'm still secretly worried he's going to be an a$$hole although I have absolutely no reason to actually think he will be.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
You have to bring Squash because Siri wants to play with Squash and since we live so far away this is our only chance ever! :p

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
About that, anyway. I'm still secretly worried he's going to be an a$$hole although I have absolutely no reason to actually think he will be.
Well, Cynder probably won't play with anyone (although will do a lot of running) and Abrams screams like a baby and acts like a dog has killed him if they bump into him roughly (during the initial introduction phase, anyway - after a bit he warms up and will play), so meh. My dogs won't be perfect. LOL

Lyzelle

As safe as the park probably is, and as dog-oriented as Zander is, I really couldn't risk him off-leash. And I don't have anyone reliable here to leave him with. So it's out for me.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
So if a certain Meagan and I get the stars aligned right, then we may be back on for me coming, probably with just Kestrel, and k9's next dog. ;)

Vibes?

Members online

No members online now.