Car troubles

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Okay so my transmission went out around... May? I got it replaced and it was under warranty.

Since then I've noticed my car feels a little jolty when I put on the brakes. It didn't before, I am 100% positive. I took it in and told them and they said I needed new brake pads and that mine were worn down a lot. But the guy drove it around and it didn't have any other problems. So we replaced the brakes and I picked it up yesterday.

Well, it still feels jolty like before! I am not sure how to describe it but I can feel it through the brake pedal. Almost feels like I'm running over bumps on the road while I'm braking.

Should I take it back in? I'm really not sure what's wrong. They said they looked over the brakes. Tires were rotated. Oil changed...

Anyone have an idea? It's driving me crazy and I know my loaner car (same make and model, different year) braked MUCH smoother than my car.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah I started wondering if it was the alignment. It was not terribly long ago they supposedly did a front end alignment but I can't recall when it was.

Shocks are a good guess. I wonder why they didn't check them out when I brought it in?

It's got 62K miles on it if that helps.

houlahoops

Did you get your rotors replaced too?

If so: How much do you trust your shop? Could be that they didn't use a torque wrench when they were replacing your tires.

If not: This would be the first thing I would look at and I would suggest it to the shop.

joce

What kind of car?

Is it one jolt or many? Mine was doing one big jolt when I'd hit the breaks (not always at first) and they replaced the rear end and something else just for it to come back shortly after(don't think it even did anything). Transmission place told me not to worry about it which doesn't sit well with me but that was at 100,000 and it's got well over that now.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It's a Lexus RX350. It's several small jolts. not always when you brake, only sometimes. If I turn, it definitely does it if I'm going over a few miles per hour.

Today I had to brake fast and it worked fine but when I tried to ease on the accelerator afterwards it jolted forward. Reminded me of when the transmission went.

I took it to the dealership hoping it was under warranty or something. I really did not notice any of this until after the transmission was replaced. When the transmission went out the entire gear went out. You couldn't get the car to go at all.

houlahoops

Ask them to quote you on a rotor replacement and if it's too much, you can always have them turned or resurfaced instead until you can save up enough to get them completely replaced. New rotors tend to run around 30-50 bucks per side from a good shop.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Jolty how? Does the steering wheel shake? My rotors are warped, which causes the steering wheel to feel "bumpy," I guess. It only happens when you first start applying the brakes and then disappears. If it was just a loose wheel you'd know. I forgot to tighten a wheel down once and the whole car pretty violently shakes. Might not be as dramatic on a car with softer suspension. Mine is pretty stiff. Neither of those would cause the car to jolt forward, though.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
@ 62K unless you take that baby offroading it's prob not the shocks. If you feel the vibration from your foot my guess would be something being wonky with the abs system. My old izusu had chronic abs system issues and if you braked sometimes even a little bit you could feel the catch on the brakes from what felt like through the pedal.

If it feels shakey through your hands or the body of the car I would think alignment might be weird.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah it's definitely just through the pedal. Is there anything they can do do if it's the ABS system?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
How do I disconnect the ABS?

I checked the receipt and the rotors were changed too. And they had a line saying that the transmission was checked and fine.

It's still doing it when I brake sometimes. I am leaning towards taking it back in.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I am seriously considering just selling the **** thing. I really have never liked this car.

My stepmom has a church friend that is a mechanic and I'm going to have him look at it. I've been looking at CR-Vs though online. I want to decide if I'm going to trade it in soon though.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I've looked a little bit into RAV4s (okay like.. today). I had a CRV before this car and loved it so much. I miss it and it's still going strong (my sister has it now).

My big concern with the RAV4 is that it's Toyota which is the same thing as Lexus and this Lexus has been awful. I've had way too many issues for a car with the mileage it has on it. I know it could just be that I got a bad/faulty car or something. Most people I know with Toyotas have loved theirs.

I really can't decide if I want to get a new car or a used one(07-2010ish model). The used one would be smarter since I'm house saving and would keep me to a budget. But then again a new car with a full warranty is also a bonus. I used my warranty a lot on this last car.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.