ford truck commercial

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I have seen this commercial a few times now, where a b/w dog is in the back of one truck, another truck pulls up next to it, the dog jumps from one truck bed to the other. I find it upsetting that they would promote something so dangerous for dogs to sell a truck. It is hard enough to educate the public on how fatal this can be. I know Dear Abby has run an article about it several times where a reader tells of his horrible experience. I have always wanted to make copies and hand them out. I Bet they wouldn't put a bunch of children in the back of a truck on camera...anyone else feel this way?

I just saw that one last night. They really know their target market, don't they? :rolleyes:

I think I'll contact Ford Motor Company about the egregious lack of judgement airing this commercial shows.

joce

You mean not everyone throws their kids and dogs in the back of the truck!

I see dogs in the beds all the time but I would never put mine in one. I saw a dog fall out of one once and it almost got hit. If they would have been going any faster it would have been horrible. That said I sit in the back of trucks all the time. We used too go mudding and pile a ton of us in the back but it really isn't safe, I guess wear just dumb, I got hit with a rock once and it didn't feel to good. Its still legal if your over a certain age isn't it?

I haven't seen it, but it already makes me sick. I, too, have seen a poor dog fall out of the back of a truck in traffic. Thank god he wasn't hit. And I jumped out of my vehicle to try and help him round up the poor, disoriented, scared dog. The guy was so mean. He just scooped up his dog and threw him in the back of the truck. I yelled at him "PUT HIM IN THE CAB!!!" And the ****er screams back to mind my own **** business. What a JERK!!!

Saje

Island dweller
Renee750il said:
And it hit me - not only is this ad dangerously stupid, it's also incredibly insulting to the dog, inferring that any dog is that superficial! ;)
LOL Glamour dog!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
It is illegal in kcmo..if you are caught with someone in the back of the truck there is a 200 dollar fine.at least that is what my neighbor told me when we were moving. The teenage boys hopped in the back and i had a cover over the bed, we were only going a block...but the neighbor ran out for he was afraid I would get a ticket so i took his word for it...the dog I saw fall didn't make it, it was hit by the vehicle behind it.

kerryt

I agree that it's very dangerous to show a dog doing this. Nonetheless, does anyone know what kind of dog that is in the commercial? Our whole family fell in love with him and would like to know if he is a particular breed or just a very cute mixed breed?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I thought it a border collie mix but I could be wrong

I haven't seen that, but I'm sure once I do I will be upset. We rented a pickup truck in the fall, and while we allowed to dogs to sit in the back, we never drove them around in it like that. I wouldn't think of it. I can understand if you were living in the country and didn't drive very quickly, but in other cases no way. I once saw a Neapolitan Mastiff in the open bed of a truck and boy was I mad.

they probably figure the "average" dog owners would have enough sence to not do that after all the dog obviasly was a stunt dog. in wi ur not allowed to unless theres some kind of restraint in the back. We'd never throw the dogs in the back of our truck but if we did u bet they'd kenneld up!

I was just as disgusted with this commercial as I was with Bush's campaign ad with the wolves. (You can bet I threw a royal fit over both of them!!) Here are some "fun" dog-in-pickup facts:

If a dog jumps from a truck onto asphalt going only 15 miles an hour, there's a 90% chance that all four of his legs will break, preventing him from escaping traffic.

If a dog jumps from a truck onto concrete going 15 miles an hour, there's an 85% chance that his vertebrae will shatter.

Dogs that are tied in the beds of trucks have been known to jump out, still tied, and either drag along to road or hang themselves.

If a dog is riding with his head out the window or in the bed of a truck without eye protection, a foreign object (road debris, blowing dirt or salt, etc.) can become lodged in the dog's eye. At 50 miles an hour and above, the dog will probably be blind and may loose the eye. Under 50 miles an hour, the eye may be saved by a surgery that can cost up to $4000, depending on the depth and character of the foreign object.

SO DON'T DO IT!!!!
And get a pair of Doggles. http://www.doggles.com/

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I think this needs to be copied and put in the glove box so that a person could hand them out when it is necessary! At least it couldn't hurt. So many people just don't realize what they are doing until it is to late. Thank you for this post!

I've actually gone so far as to put that information under the wipers of parked pickups with dogs in the bed! I just HATE to see a dog in the bed of a truck when there's clearly more than enough space for them inside the cab! :mad:

Members online

No members online now.