Puppy peeing in her sleep?

Lola1234

Hi everyone. I have a just 4 month old female Black Lab puppy. She is pretty much house trained, and will usually only pee in the house if she is alone for longer than 4 hours, or if she drinks a lot of water and we're not paying attention. We do not crate her, because we have 3 other dogs all over the age of 2. She usually only pees on the hardwood floor if she has an accident.
A few weeks ago the puppy (Lola) and our German Shepherd/Dingo mix (Rogue) were sleeping on the bed while I was painting a room. A few minutes later, Lola came into the room to join me and Rogue stayed on the bed. Later, when I went into the room, Rogue got up and I noticed a large wet spot on the blanket. I thought maybe she was just licking herself a lot for some reason, until I moved the blanket and realized it was soaked all the way through to the mattress... definitely pee. I blamed it on Rogue because she has a habit of doing naughty things when she's not getting attention. That was the first and last time it had happened.
Yesterday, my husband and I were laying in bed and Lola was laying by my thighs on the outside of the mattress. She was asleep for quite some time, then she woke up and started licking herself, got up and changed positions. I felt a slight wetspot that I thought was just from her licking, and ignored it for the time being. Then when I finally stood up after she had been sleeping for another good 1/2 hour, she woke up to go outside, and when she got up, I noticed that her whole backside was soaking wet, so wet it was dripping. I went back upstairs and saw not only 1 wet spot, but now 2...both of the places she was sleeping in. I cleaned her off, and she ran outside and peed again.
Today, she was sleeping on the couch right next to me, and she got up after about an hour of sleeping and there was a wet spot again. I'm getting concerned because it is not waking her up when she pees, and because she has never done this before until recently. Then, later we were upstairs and I was showing a friend around one of the rooms, and she walked in and walked across the room, peeing. She didn't even squat like normal or run away like she was going to be in trouble, it was almost as if she didn't even know she was peeing until I yelled "hey!" and then she ran out into the hallway and finished on the hardwood floor.
I'm worried she might have some kind of UTI or bladder infection...something of that sort. Tomorrow I'm going to collect a sample and bring her to the vet hopefully, but I just wanted to know if anyone knows or has heard of anything that relates to this?
I have never owned a puppy before, most of my dogs are rescues, so a lot of information is new to me. Anything that can be useful is greatly appreciated in advance.

Thank You!

bubbatd

I did have one pup who did that during a dream .... but I think you'd be wise to check .

RD

Are you dead yet?
I would take her to the vet and make sure she doesn't have a bladder or urinary tract infection.

My Dakota did this when he was a puppy too, when he had a clean bill of health. He generally had poor bladder control as a pup, and he simply outgrew it as he got older.

Has she already been spayed? I haven't seen this in a pup before, but my elderly lab had troubles waking in a puddle from about the age of 11. She'd wake up dripping wet with her bladder having completely emptied. She had congestive heart failure and epilepsy, and the meds she took made her very thirsty; she drank gallons. When I took her in for testing, the vet said it was hormonal and put her on hormone replacement therapy, DES (diethylstilbestrol). It cleared the problem right up, fortunately. If it's not a bladder infection, perhaps it's that?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm leaning towards either puppy poor control or a UTI. Get her checked just to make sure and then just stock up on laundry detergent and try to make sure she gets out as often as possible.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
our lab used to do this as a puppy too, up until about 6 months or so she would have occasional accidents when she slept. I still had her checked by our vet though. She did stop on her own though.

Members online

No members online now.