What to expect after spay

It's been a while since I've had to care for a dog after spay surgery and I have never had one come home the same day as the operation so I need some info. We adopted a puppy this week from the local shelter. She is estimated to be 4 mos old. We picked her up today and she had her operation some time earlier today. When we picked her up they were super busy and gave us a big run down on her worming meds but didn't mention anything about the spay. She is very groggy now and hasn't done anything but lay in her bed since we got home. I'm not surprised or anything. She's had a crazy day. Just wondering how long to expect her to be lethargic and not have an appetite. When do they begin to return to normal behavior-wise? Is there anything else I need to know besides keeping an eye on the incision? Thanks!

I feel like I should know this stuff but like I said, its been a while ;)

Toller_08

My guys have all been pretty out of it until the next morning. Then they're a little sore, but not really anything to speak of. They're generally pretty much back to normal within 24 hours.

Not really anything to watch for that I can think of. Just keep her activity limited so she doesn't pull the stitches or something, and try to make sure she doesn't get it all dirty, but otherwise there isn't really anything else I don't think.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Usually by the next day they're pretty much back to normal, Juno took maybe a couple days to get her energy back, but unfortunately the vet we used did not send home pain meds so that probably had something to do with it.

Otherwise, keeping activity restricted to short leashed walks for the next 10 or so days (no running, jumping, rough housing), watch to make sure she's not chewing/licking at the incision, and checking the incision for redness/swelling/discharge.

Overall it's pretty straight forward, hardest part is not being able to exercise them much!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
^ What they said! LOL

She should want to eat by tomorrow. And you'll probably be wishing she is groggy for the next few day when you have to keep her calm, but she wants to be crazy hyper puppy. :p

I guess one thing that you would need to know is if her sutures will dissolve or not. (Or if they even used sutures, some places just glue 'em up.) If they aren't dissolvable, they'll need to come out 7-10 days post op as long as everything is healing up okay.

Members online

No members online now.