Adding Garlic

emc

Is it okay to add a little garlic to a dog's diet? Are there any health benefits in doing so? I read somewhere that adding garlic to a dog's food repels fleas.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
It's funny, I've heard good things and bad about garlic. We sell a product at the shop that is supposed to repel fleas and it contains garlic. People say it works well. I've also heard some say that dogs shouldn't be fed garlic, though I've never seen any evidence to back up that claim.

spiffy

Garlic and garlic powder was listed by ASPCA as one of the human foods that have dangerous effects if ingested by dogs. Garlic can damage red blood cells and cause gastrointestinal problems. On the other hand, some owners have attested to the healthful effects of garlic thus commercial pet foods that contain this pungent bulb as ingredient are given to the dogs. ASPCA has also mentioned that a small amount of garlic given to the dog OCCASIONALLY is safe. The dosage that would already be poisonous to the dog though was not mentioned. So would you or would you not give your dog garlic? This will be a "feed at your own risk" case.

I've been giving dogs garlic for 50 years. None of my dogs has ever had problems from it, and my shortest lived dog was my beagle at just short of 12. He loved the stuff, and we sprinkled garlic on it almost every day.

GoingNowhere

I've used "bug off" garlic in Boo's food. it's basically just garlic powder that is marketed for dogs. Same stuff I think, though.

My issue with it was that Boo really didn't like the flavor of her food when I would add the recommended daily dose to her food. It *did* help with the ticks though. Now, when we go in the woods in the midsummer, I mix the garlic powder with water and rub it on her lower legs. She smells a bit like an Italian dinner, but it seems to help repel the ticks.

Doberluv

I'll put a clove of garlic sometimes in the liver treats I make. The whole recipe makes a 9 x 11 pan of treats. I think it can be harmful in large amounts. I wouldn't feed a lot of it though.

emc

So what exactly are the health benefits of garlic to dogs? Do you think it would be okay to add some to the diet of a 5 lb. chihuahua?

GipsyQueen

Gipsy had garlic in her food her whole life, and it never bothered her. Never had a flee in her life either.. thank god. :eek:

Dog Expert

The DOG GUY
yes, like people have said, in small doses is supposed to be good, I see several dog food and dog treat companies use it.

It has a toxic ingredient but at a much lower level than onions, Funnily I have not found any info on safe dosage levels and have only really heard it recommended by natrapaths.

I don't think the powder does as much as fresh. I occasionally chuck a small or 1/2 of a larger clove to Ruby (when I remember) but you prolly have to come up with a weekly regimen for to have any positive health/flea effects.

Members online

No members online now.