Camden is gone...roomie gave him up

CaliTerp07

I think it's hard for anyone to say "I would have done xxxx" when we haven't necessarily been in that situation. From the outside it's easy to say what would have been the best decision, but emotions really cloud judgment.

Hugs to your roommate, Dreeza. It's an awful decision to have to make, and I hope that it all works out in the end.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I know this may prolong your roomie's pain, but does she know which SPCA he was going to go to? She could contact them and make *sure* they had the needed info and if they didn't and couldn't place him could then be there while they euthanized him rather than him being alone and scared.

I work at a humane society and it is so heartbreaking when we discover a behavior issue that precludes adoption and then find out the owner knew but didn't share that info - it would be soooo much easier on these animals if they were euthanized by their owners rather than spending time in a shelter kennel, stressed to the max, before being euthanized by a stranger (loving and caring, but still a stranger). Your roomie's situation is different because she didn't dump him and not disclose, but the stress issue is still a factor.

T

tessa_s212

I HAVE been there. With a foster dog, though, not my own. Beautiful springer, but he'd just FLIP out snarling, biting and growling. I worked with him, found out his triggers. Because he was purebred AKC with papers, the shelter *insisted* on making money off of him. Adopted him out - I prepared the people the best I could, telling them the triggers, how to deal with him, etc (surprised that didn't care them off). Came back the next week because he tried to attack them. I took home with me again,.. because I had already made the decision to euthanize him. Gave him some really good last few days with me, and then took him back to be euthanized, and I *insisted* that they did, and stayed with him until he was gone. I wouldn't see them put another adoptive family at risk. What if the next one had children?

I think it's hard for anyone to say "I would have done xxxx" when we haven't necessarily been in that situation. From the outside it's easy to say what would have been the best decision, but emotions really cloud judgment.

Hugs to your roommate, Dreeza. It's an awful decision to have to make, and I hope that it all works out in the end.
Excellent post, Cali :)

It's hard, not getting to say good bye, Dreeza.

Maybe it would make you feel better if you and your roomie took Camden's bed and favorite toys to the vet's office to send off with Camden?

Dreeza

thanks guys. It is definitely helpful for her to know that you all think she made the right decision.

For all those wondering about the SPCA...they called her the next morning & apparently the guy was a total jerk. My roomie was really upset they called b/c she had signed him over & obvs didn;t want to answer all the same q's she had answered last night. I know she made all the info very clear to the e-vet...who also ended up speaking with Camden's vet, who knows all the history. So hopefully it was all passed on...

ACooper

thanks guys. It is definitely helpful for her to know that you all think she made the right decision.

For all those wondering about the SPCA...they called her the next morning & apparently the guy was a total jerk. My roomie was really upset they called b/c she had signed him over & obvs didn;t want to answer all the same q's she had answered last night. I know she made all the info very clear to the e-vet...who also ended up speaking with Camden's vet, who knows all the history. So hopefully it was all passed on...
How so? Did he not fill them in? Did he make your roomie out to be the 'bad guy' just wanting to be rid of Camden for 'no good reason'?

I was afraid this would happen, third party 'do gooders' may have good intentions but don't always 'do good' with them :( I will repeat, I hope this doesn't come back to your roomie in a terrible way since she was TALKED OUT OF putting him down :(

Dreeza

How so? Did he not fill them in? Did he make your roomie out to be the 'bad guy' just wanting to be rid of Camden for 'no good reason'?

I was afraid this would happen, third party 'do gooders' may have good intentions but don't always 'do good' with them :( I will repeat, I hope this doesn't come back to your roomie in a terrible way since she was TALKED OUT OF putting him down :(
yeah, he just kept asking the same questions that she had answered...she told them to look at the papers she had filled out, cause she wrote down a very extensive history of him.

I keep looking at petfinder to see if he shows up on there...if he does & there isn't his history written, I'm gonna call.

Doberluv

Wow! I agree. Something more is going on with him than a dog that snaps back out of defense from harsh punishment. This is something really wrong. It is super scary that they'll adopt him out to some family that doesn't realize the extent of his aggression. People sometimes want to hang onto a dog no matter what. For what reason? For themselves or for the dog? The dog that gets euthanized painlessly doesn't realize a future or what's going on. It is not a mean thing to do. There are so many dogs needing homes and this poor dog is a real risk to someone. I think your roomie did the right thing, although she should probably have insisted he be pts. Hopefully, she can follow up and make sure whoever winds up with him if fully aware of his sporatic issues.

It's very sad indeed all around. And I know your roomie must feel just awful. My heart goes out to her. Heaven knows....she tried awful hard with Camden.

Members online

No members online now.