I think i may be changing someones mind on......

becoming a BYB :D

I have known this lady for almost 2 years to say hello to in passing.
But the past couple of days i have spent quite a bit of time over her place.

Well she has a Female German/Belgium Sheppard , at the moment the puppy is only just 8 months old.

Well she told me today when i asked if she had been spayed yet that she is allowing her have 1 litter 1st(when she is 2 years old).

So i sat there and explained all about BYB's and what makes a person one....why it is wrong to breed a Mutt or Untitled purebred.
I also then explained that if she decides not to breed, the complications the dog can have and possible illnesses if she isn't spayed.

She listened to everything i have to say and said that i had brought up some interesting points for her to consider.

So i am hoping that with a little more gentle persuasion (sp) she may think again before breeding her :)

Also a quick question here as i am a little naive to Breeds.........German and Belgium are 2 different breeds right?? Have to ask b/c i assumed that they are.
But she said that she was told the dog is Purebred Belgium, She saw both parents and one is Belgium, the other German, wouldn't that make the dog a Cross breed?
As i said i really am naive when it comes to dog breeds :p

Squidbert said:
Good for you!!!
Hopefully she will change her mind completly and get the pup spayed..
KUDOS TO YOU!!! :)

I just hope that when she sees Bailey knowing his age she doesn't ask why he is still intact :(
This isn't b/c i am going to use him for stud (I was until i came here and learnt all i know), it's just that after realising that i won't be using him...........I can't afford to have the little guys removed at the moment.

He doesn't go around any Females that are in heat though.........No way!!
So i know that he is ok until i can get the money together :)

Jynx

Good for you ! As for the breed, she's got it all wrong, it could be the following:

Is she sure its' a German Shepherd Dog? In other words, there is also the
Belgian Sheepdog, which is all black, finer boned, usually longish fur,,the BSD
is a totally separate breed.

There really is no "belgium shepherd",, the dog is most likely a German Shepherd, maybe bred in Belgium? ancestors from Belgium? But there is no
"breed" called Belgium Shepherd,

What color is the dog? Hopefully she won't breed, cause it sounds like the "breeder" sold her a bunch of nonsense when telling her what it was.
diane

-had to double-check that on petfinder and saw Riot's pic again for the breed example- Such a handsome boy :D

But anyway, back on topic...sounds like a groenendael mix, then :)

MK&C said:
-had to double-check that on petfinder and saw Riot's pic again for the breed example- Such a handsome boy :D

Her coat is shorter than the Groenendael.......but there are simalarities there.
I will take a pic of her next time i go over to post up :)

Ashlea

Good for you Caren. It is horrible how many people breed because of that old myth of it springing the rib cage and the bitch will settle afterwards! I am glad you took the time to educate.

bubbatd

Kudos !!!!! I'm trying to convince my neighbor to neuter her male standard poodle ..............

Caren+Bailey said:
Her coat is shorter than the Groenendael.......but there are simalarities there.
I will take a pic of her next time i go over to post up :)
It could be a black mal x gsd :)

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Great for you!:) I'm so glad you did that. That's how people learn. E d u c a t i on. :) Go you!!!:D

i think it's strange, many people want to give there dog a first litter before they spay them, someone i know wanted to do that, its sad, well done

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
Just wanted to add another KUDOS to the OP for trying to educate this owner. Hopefully she'll listen. Even changing one person's mind makes a difference! :)

Jynx

actually the original poster said the dog was a purebred correct? and yes I was referring to the Belgians,,there are no "Belgiums"..

Sounds like a Belgian Sheepdog/Groendal, even with a shorter coat, if it's young, sometimes their coats really don't come in full until maturity, also since there are 4 varieties, if mal is somewhere in the backround (in Europe the 4 varieties can interbreed, they are considered one breed over there),
could be the reasoning.

Keep talking to her, good for you!
diane

Jynx said:
actually the original poster said the dog was a purebred correct? and yes I was referring to the Belgians,,there are no "Belgiums"..

diane
Sorry for not realising the spelling of "Belgian" but this is what i meant.

Caren+Bailey said:
Also a quick question here as i am a little naive to Breeds.........German and Belgium are 2 different breeds right?? Have to ask b/c i assumed that they are.
But she said that she was told the dog is Purebred Belgium, She saw both parents and one is Belgium, the other German, wouldn't that make the dog a Cross breed?

Also i didn't state that the dog is Purebred....I was in fact asking b/c i don't know if she would be considered Purebred.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
It sounds like she may have a Black Malinois on her hands.. unshowable in Conformation - but can make a good working dog.
She *could* also have a black GSD.

BUT if its a German/Belgian cross.. you are just ASKING for health issues!!

Where did she get that pup from?

I'm SOOo glad that you have persuaded her out of breeder her though!

No need to mix up yet another fine working dog (Belgians) to the BYBs!

Sounds like a Belgian Sheepdog/Groendal, even with a shorter coat, if it's young, sometimes their coats really don't come in full until maturity, also since there are 4 varieties, if mal is somewhere in the backround (in Europe the 4 varieties can interbreed, they are considered one breed over there),
could be the reasoning.
There really is no "belgium shepherd",, the dog is most likely a German Shepherd, maybe bred in Belgium? ancestors from Belgium? But there is no
"breed" called Belgium Shepherd,
A Belgian Sheepdog and a Gronendael are the EXACT same variety. Not sure if you knew that or not? There IS such breed as a Belgian SHepherd in the AKC - Belgian Shepherd is the Tervuren variety. I own one, but hes from the CKC so he is a "vatiety". Mature coats dont grow in until they are around 1yr old as well.
In the CKC all Belgians can interbreed. Its only really "acceptable" for a showable Belgian to breed the Tervs and Grons together though. If you breed a Laek to another - you'll get an unshowable litter for conformation, if you breed a Gron-Mal you will get an unshowable litter for conformation. If you breed a Terv - Mal - you'll get short coated Tervs or reg. Mals.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
MK&C said:

hehe Just saw this as well :)

Riot says Thank-you lol

PS - I hope he wasn't on "petfinder"!!! lol I hope it was dogbreedinfo! lmao

Summer............she got her from a BYB, but then she was none the wiser when buying her that it was wrong to buy from a BYB.

I really should take some photos of her to post.
I will do that next time i go over there.

Members online